Red lesion on whippet's leg.

Breed: Whippet
Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I noticed this skin spot on her front right leg (see picture I am sending). I believe it just might be from running around so fast in the grass and sliding around and stopping etc. I wanted to see if you think I should see my Vet about it? In the mean time I've been placing Hydrocortisone Lotion on it for dogs made by Excel. She does not seem too irritated about it...only licks it every now and then. What do you suggest? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the lesion on your dog's leg:

lesion on dog's leg

It certainly is possible that this is the result of some type a scrape or injury. However, there is a possibility that it is something called a lick granuloma. A lick granuloma can start off with any sort of irritation and then just gets worse and worse as the dog licks at it. You mentioned that Niecy doesn't lick at it often, but it's possible that she is doing it at night time or when she is not being watched.

Lick granulomas are hard to treat. The way we usually treat them is to keep the dog from licking at it which often involves bandaging the area. (Be careful though...if you try to bandage it at home it is often very easy to put the bandage on too tight and that can cause serious problems. The hydrocortisone cream may help but often is not enough on its own.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is a lick granuloma without actually examining your dog. It may be a good idea to take a new photo of the leg every few days. If it doesn't seem to be improving in a week or if it is getting worse then I would have the vet take a look.

Hope things look up soon!

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (13067 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (6145 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (184617 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (24080 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (9517 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (13466 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21577 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10790 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (14915 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (29501 views)