Red lesion on whippet's leg.

Breed: Whippet
Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I noticed this skin spot on her front right leg (see picture I am sending). I believe it just might be from running around so fast in the grass and sliding around and stopping etc. I wanted to see if you think I should see my Vet about it? In the mean time I've been placing Hydrocortisone Lotion on it for dogs made by Excel. She does not seem too irritated about it...only licks it every now and then. What do you suggest? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the lesion on your dog's leg:

lesion on dog's leg

It certainly is possible that this is the result of some type a scrape or injury. However, there is a possibility that it is something called a lick granuloma. A lick granuloma can start off with any sort of irritation and then just gets worse and worse as the dog licks at it. You mentioned that Niecy doesn't lick at it often, but it's possible that she is doing it at night time or when she is not being watched.

Lick granulomas are hard to treat. The way we usually treat them is to keep the dog from licking at it which often involves bandaging the area. (Be careful though...if you try to bandage it at home it is often very easy to put the bandage on too tight and that can cause serious problems. The hydrocortisone cream may help but often is not enough on its own.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is a lick granuloma without actually examining your dog. It may be a good idea to take a new photo of the leg every few days. If it doesn't seem to be improving in a week or if it is getting worse then I would have the vet take a look.

Hope things look up soon!

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (12378 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (12822 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (9200 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (11886 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (15003 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (16810 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (11262 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (7269 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (10883 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (22399 views)