Red lesion on whippet's leg.

Breed: Whippet
Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I noticed this skin spot on her front right leg (see picture I am sending). I believe it just might be from running around so fast in the grass and sliding around and stopping etc. I wanted to see if you think I should see my Vet about it? In the mean time I've been placing Hydrocortisone Lotion on it for dogs made by Excel. She does not seem too irritated about it...only licks it every now and then. What do you suggest? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the lesion on your dog's leg:

lesion on dog's leg

It certainly is possible that this is the result of some type a scrape or injury. However, there is a possibility that it is something called a lick granuloma. A lick granuloma can start off with any sort of irritation and then just gets worse and worse as the dog licks at it. You mentioned that Niecy doesn't lick at it often, but it's possible that she is doing it at night time or when she is not being watched.

Lick granulomas are hard to treat. The way we usually treat them is to keep the dog from licking at it which often involves bandaging the area. (Be careful though...if you try to bandage it at home it is often very easy to put the bandage on too tight and that can cause serious problems. The hydrocortisone cream may help but often is not enough on its own.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is a lick granuloma without actually examining your dog. It may be a good idea to take a new photo of the leg every few days. If it doesn't seem to be improving in a week or if it is getting worse then I would have the vet take a look.

Hope things look up soon!

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10708 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4052 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19595 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10458 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (40282 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13765 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12882 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5463 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11011 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15033 views)