Red lesion on whippet's leg.

Breed: Whippet
Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I noticed this skin spot on her front right leg (see picture I am sending). I believe it just might be from running around so fast in the grass and sliding around and stopping etc. I wanted to see if you think I should see my Vet about it? In the mean time I've been placing Hydrocortisone Lotion on it for dogs made by Excel. She does not seem too irritated about it...only licks it every now and then. What do you suggest? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the lesion on your dog's leg:

lesion on dog's leg

It certainly is possible that this is the result of some type a scrape or injury. However, there is a possibility that it is something called a lick granuloma. A lick granuloma can start off with any sort of irritation and then just gets worse and worse as the dog licks at it. You mentioned that Niecy doesn't lick at it often, but it's possible that she is doing it at night time or when she is not being watched.

Lick granulomas are hard to treat. The way we usually treat them is to keep the dog from licking at it which often involves bandaging the area. (Be careful though...if you try to bandage it at home it is often very easy to put the bandage on too tight and that can cause serious problems. The hydrocortisone cream may help but often is not enough on its own.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is a lick granuloma without actually examining your dog. It may be a good idea to take a new photo of the leg every few days. If it doesn't seem to be improving in a week or if it is getting worse then I would have the vet take a look.

Hope things look up soon!

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (75884 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (114327 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9564 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (31413 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (26887 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6368 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (9819 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (23983 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6255 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (9375 views)