Red lesion on whippet's leg.

Breed: Whippet
Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I noticed this skin spot on her front right leg (see picture I am sending). I believe it just might be from running around so fast in the grass and sliding around and stopping etc. I wanted to see if you think I should see my Vet about it? In the mean time I've been placing Hydrocortisone Lotion on it for dogs made by Excel. She does not seem too irritated about it...only licks it every now and then. What do you suggest? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the lesion on your dog's leg:

lesion on dog's leg

It certainly is possible that this is the result of some type a scrape or injury. However, there is a possibility that it is something called a lick granuloma. A lick granuloma can start off with any sort of irritation and then just gets worse and worse as the dog licks at it. You mentioned that Niecy doesn't lick at it often, but it's possible that she is doing it at night time or when she is not being watched.

Lick granulomas are hard to treat. The way we usually treat them is to keep the dog from licking at it which often involves bandaging the area. (Be careful though...if you try to bandage it at home it is often very easy to put the bandage on too tight and that can cause serious problems. The hydrocortisone cream may help but often is not enough on its own.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is a lick granuloma without actually examining your dog. It may be a good idea to take a new photo of the leg every few days. If it doesn't seem to be improving in a week or if it is getting worse then I would have the vet take a look.

Hope things look up soon!

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (103112 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (18668 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (16697 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (24262 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (15749 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (14493 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (21137 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (19534 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (10770 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (121245 views)