Urinating outside of box.

Breed: mixed
Hi Marie,

We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning, she is 15 years (turning 16 in March). Over the last year she has lost weight, but seems eating and drinking fine. However over the last month she has started urinating in other places then her litter box. I was just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thank you

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! Thanks for using my website!

There are a few things that can cause these symptoms but it will be hard to tell without having some tests done on Yu.

My first concern is that she may have a problem with her kidneys. It is relatively common for older cats to have kidney problems. While this doesn't directly cause a cat to urinate in unusual places, sometimes a cat with kidney disease is more prone to getting a urinary tract infection.

Some cats can urinate in strange places because of a condition called interstitial cystitis which can cause irritation in the bladder. However, it would be a little bit unusual for a cat of this age to just start developing this problem now in her life.

Have there been any major changes around the house? Some cats can urinate inappropriately because of stress or change in routine. One of our own cats has started to urinate in the house because we brought another cat home and she is not pleased about it.

I am a little bit concerned about the weight loss. Sometimes this can just be normal as a cat ages. However, it is possible that it is a sign of either kidney disease or hyperthyroidism.

Ultimately it would be best to have your vet see your girl and do some urine and blood tests. You are certainly welcome to come and see me - my practice is in Vanier so it is a little bit of a drive for you. A visit generally costs about $60. To do bloodwork and urine tests is around $160.

If you want to try a few things first before you come in here are some things that may help:

Get rid of your litter box that you have now and replace it with 2 new ones. Sometimes boxes can retain odours when we have had them for a long time.

Be really vigilant in cleaning the box regularly.

You can also try something called a feliway plugin which is a product that releases pheromones that help make a cat feel less stressed.

It is definitely a good idea to have Yu looked at. If there is a medical problem often there are things we can do to help!

Thanks again for using my website! You can always send me a message via facebook too if you want to.

Marie

HI Marie,

Thanks, in you responce you mentioned a feliway plugin, what is it, and where would we get one? We will change her box and see how she is. How long do you think we should wait to see if these steps help out?

Thanks again,

Cheryl

You're very welcome. The feliway plugin is like a Glade scented plugin but instead it releases an odour-free phermomone that helps make cats feel good. You can buy them at the pet stores and they are around $40 or so.

I think if the problem is getting worse or not resolved in a couple of weeks then she should have a check up.

Have a great day!
Marie

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4417 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (4723 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (12625 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (11175 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (17251 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (5895 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (46907 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (7139 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (10262 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (14495 views)