Urinating outside of box.

Breed: mixed
Hi Marie,

We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning, she is 15 years (turning 16 in March). Over the last year she has lost weight, but seems eating and drinking fine. However over the last month she has started urinating in other places then her litter box. I was just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thank you

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! Thanks for using my website!

There are a few things that can cause these symptoms but it will be hard to tell without having some tests done on Yu.

My first concern is that she may have a problem with her kidneys. It is relatively common for older cats to have kidney problems. While this doesn't directly cause a cat to urinate in unusual places, sometimes a cat with kidney disease is more prone to getting a urinary tract infection.

Some cats can urinate in strange places because of a condition called interstitial cystitis which can cause irritation in the bladder. However, it would be a little bit unusual for a cat of this age to just start developing this problem now in her life.

Have there been any major changes around the house? Some cats can urinate inappropriately because of stress or change in routine. One of our own cats has started to urinate in the house because we brought another cat home and she is not pleased about it.

I am a little bit concerned about the weight loss. Sometimes this can just be normal as a cat ages. However, it is possible that it is a sign of either kidney disease or hyperthyroidism.

Ultimately it would be best to have your vet see your girl and do some urine and blood tests. You are certainly welcome to come and see me - my practice is in Vanier so it is a little bit of a drive for you. A visit generally costs about $60. To do bloodwork and urine tests is around $160.

If you want to try a few things first before you come in here are some things that may help:

Get rid of your litter box that you have now and replace it with 2 new ones. Sometimes boxes can retain odours when we have had them for a long time.

Be really vigilant in cleaning the box regularly.

You can also try something called a feliway plugin which is a product that releases pheromones that help make a cat feel less stressed.

It is definitely a good idea to have Yu looked at. If there is a medical problem often there are things we can do to help!

Thanks again for using my website! You can always send me a message via facebook too if you want to.

Marie

HI Marie,

Thanks, in you responce you mentioned a feliway plugin, what is it, and where would we get one? We will change her box and see how she is. How long do you think we should wait to see if these steps help out?

Thanks again,

Cheryl

You're very welcome. The feliway plugin is like a Glade scented plugin but instead it releases an odour-free phermomone that helps make cats feel good. You can buy them at the pet stores and they are around $40 or so.

I think if the problem is getting worse or not resolved in a couple of weeks then she should have a check up.

Have a great day!
Marie

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (14038 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (6205 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6902 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (9090 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6717 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (23842 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8115 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9916 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9450 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (20168 views)