Urinating outside of box.

Breed: mixed
Hi Marie,

We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning, she is 15 years (turning 16 in March). Over the last year she has lost weight, but seems eating and drinking fine. However over the last month she has started urinating in other places then her litter box. I was just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thank you

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! Thanks for using my website!

There are a few things that can cause these symptoms but it will be hard to tell without having some tests done on Yu.

My first concern is that she may have a problem with her kidneys. It is relatively common for older cats to have kidney problems. While this doesn't directly cause a cat to urinate in unusual places, sometimes a cat with kidney disease is more prone to getting a urinary tract infection.

Some cats can urinate in strange places because of a condition called interstitial cystitis which can cause irritation in the bladder. However, it would be a little bit unusual for a cat of this age to just start developing this problem now in her life.

Have there been any major changes around the house? Some cats can urinate inappropriately because of stress or change in routine. One of our own cats has started to urinate in the house because we brought another cat home and she is not pleased about it.

I am a little bit concerned about the weight loss. Sometimes this can just be normal as a cat ages. However, it is possible that it is a sign of either kidney disease or hyperthyroidism.

Ultimately it would be best to have your vet see your girl and do some urine and blood tests. You are certainly welcome to come and see me - my practice is in Vanier so it is a little bit of a drive for you. A visit generally costs about $60. To do bloodwork and urine tests is around $160.

If you want to try a few things first before you come in here are some things that may help:

Get rid of your litter box that you have now and replace it with 2 new ones. Sometimes boxes can retain odours when we have had them for a long time.

Be really vigilant in cleaning the box regularly.

You can also try something called a feliway plugin which is a product that releases pheromones that help make a cat feel less stressed.

It is definitely a good idea to have Yu looked at. If there is a medical problem often there are things we can do to help!

Thanks again for using my website! You can always send me a message via facebook too if you want to.

Marie

HI Marie,

Thanks, in you responce you mentioned a feliway plugin, what is it, and where would we get one? We will change her box and see how she is. How long do you think we should wait to see if these steps help out?

Thanks again,

Cheryl

You're very welcome. The feliway plugin is like a Glade scented plugin but instead it releases an odour-free phermomone that helps make cats feel good. You can buy them at the pet stores and they are around $40 or so.

I think if the problem is getting worse or not resolved in a couple of weeks then she should have a check up.

Have a great day!
Marie

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7205 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (12801 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (5906 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (9073 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (159465 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (25900 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (9553 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (49354 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14368 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (18040 views)