Can't use back legs.

Breed: miniature american e
In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had about 5 minutes where he could not pick up his hind quarters, and dragged his hind quarters a few feet then just stayed still. Afterwards he seemed fine, just tired. Yesterday he woke up from a nap and could only pick up his hind quarters 3/4 of the way, he seemed confused and was panting. He relaxed on his side, then belly, and after about 30 minutes he seemed fine, and is acting himself today. Shadow is almost 11 years old.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sue

I'm sorry to hear that Shadow is having these episodes. I can think of several possibilities for these symptoms, but I won't be able to say for sure what the cause is.

If he has another one, it would be a good idea to look at the color of his gums. They should be dark pink. If they are white or really pale then this can mean that there is internal bleeding. Sometimes, when I see an older dog who has episodes of weakness, it can be caused by a tumor on the spleen. Parts of the tumor can periodically rupture and cause blood loss into the abdomen. This loss of blood causes weakness and often dogs will be weak in their hind end. Then, after a period of time, the body reabsorbs the blood and they act like nothing is wrong.

Another possibility is if this is a heart problem. Some dogs with heart conditions can have episodes of "syncope". A syncopal episode is similar to fainting. It can cause weakness that lasts for a few minutes and then goes away.

A back problem such as IVDD can cause extreme weakness in the hind legs. But, the symptoms usually don't come and go like you described.

Another possibility is if he is having a form of a seizure. It's not common to have seizures affect just the back end, but it is possible.

It would be a really great idea if you could have your vet examine Shadow. If it is at all possible, if you can videotape him when he is having an episode this will really help your vet. The vet will do a good exam and also some bloodwork.

I really hope he is ok!

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (16943 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7280 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13319 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7152 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (24882 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (13830 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7381 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (24001 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (20919 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10715 views)