Can't use back legs.

Breed: miniature american e
In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had about 5 minutes where he could not pick up his hind quarters, and dragged his hind quarters a few feet then just stayed still. Afterwards he seemed fine, just tired. Yesterday he woke up from a nap and could only pick up his hind quarters 3/4 of the way, he seemed confused and was panting. He relaxed on his side, then belly, and after about 30 minutes he seemed fine, and is acting himself today. Shadow is almost 11 years old.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sue

I'm sorry to hear that Shadow is having these episodes. I can think of several possibilities for these symptoms, but I won't be able to say for sure what the cause is.

If he has another one, it would be a good idea to look at the color of his gums. They should be dark pink. If they are white or really pale then this can mean that there is internal bleeding. Sometimes, when I see an older dog who has episodes of weakness, it can be caused by a tumor on the spleen. Parts of the tumor can periodically rupture and cause blood loss into the abdomen. This loss of blood causes weakness and often dogs will be weak in their hind end. Then, after a period of time, the body reabsorbs the blood and they act like nothing is wrong.

Another possibility is if this is a heart problem. Some dogs with heart conditions can have episodes of "syncope". A syncopal episode is similar to fainting. It can cause weakness that lasts for a few minutes and then goes away.

A back problem such as IVDD can cause extreme weakness in the hind legs. But, the symptoms usually don't come and go like you described.

Another possibility is if he is having a form of a seizure. It's not common to have seizures affect just the back end, but it is possible.

It would be a really great idea if you could have your vet examine Shadow. If it is at all possible, if you can videotape him when he is having an episode this will really help your vet. The vet will do a good exam and also some bloodwork.

I really hope he is ok!

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (34004 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (21031 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (10186 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (17014 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (55094 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (118551 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (19981 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (10604 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (12729 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (9495 views)