Can't use back legs.

Breed: miniature american e
In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had about 5 minutes where he could not pick up his hind quarters, and dragged his hind quarters a few feet then just stayed still. Afterwards he seemed fine, just tired. Yesterday he woke up from a nap and could only pick up his hind quarters 3/4 of the way, he seemed confused and was panting. He relaxed on his side, then belly, and after about 30 minutes he seemed fine, and is acting himself today. Shadow is almost 11 years old.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sue

I'm sorry to hear that Shadow is having these episodes. I can think of several possibilities for these symptoms, but I won't be able to say for sure what the cause is.

If he has another one, it would be a good idea to look at the color of his gums. They should be dark pink. If they are white or really pale then this can mean that there is internal bleeding. Sometimes, when I see an older dog who has episodes of weakness, it can be caused by a tumor on the spleen. Parts of the tumor can periodically rupture and cause blood loss into the abdomen. This loss of blood causes weakness and often dogs will be weak in their hind end. Then, after a period of time, the body reabsorbs the blood and they act like nothing is wrong.

Another possibility is if this is a heart problem. Some dogs with heart conditions can have episodes of "syncope". A syncopal episode is similar to fainting. It can cause weakness that lasts for a few minutes and then goes away.

A back problem such as IVDD can cause extreme weakness in the hind legs. But, the symptoms usually don't come and go like you described.

Another possibility is if he is having a form of a seizure. It's not common to have seizures affect just the back end, but it is possible.

It would be a really great idea if you could have your vet examine Shadow. If it is at all possible, if you can videotape him when he is having an episode this will really help your vet. The vet will do a good exam and also some bloodwork.

I really hope he is ok!

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (14753 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (24672 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (40583 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (22382 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (10360 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (6621 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (12186 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (28321 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (53470 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (30161 views)