Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: Pom
I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They were in their bed, one of them was gasping for air. Rattles came when I picked him up, then more gasping. Cough and a little blood, then a bubble of clear out his nose. Then he went limp. :( I was only home 5 minutes with him in my hands it only lasted a few minutes.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. Just to be clear before I answer...is Captain still alive or did he pass away?

Did he have any unusual symptoms before this happened? Was he gaining weight at the same rate as his littermates?

He did pass away. He was gaining weight, playful...It was a strange rattle, gasping. I looked to see if something was in his airway...nothing.

Oh, I'm so sorry that he has died. While I won't be able to tell you for sure what happened, let me give you a few of my thoughts.

If a puppy this young suddenly has respiratory symptoms and dies then the most common reason for this would be if he was born with a heart condition. Some dogs with heart conditions will have less weight gain than their siblings, but not always.

The rattling that you heard sounds like fluid in the chest. Heart failure can cause a dog to suddenly have fluid in the chest.

It's also possible that he had something called "idiopathic thymic hemorrhage". The thymus is a gland in the chest of puppies. Although it is rare, it can happen that the thymus just ruptures and we don't know why.

Yes, a choking of some sort is possible as well.

Ultimately the only way to know what has happened would be to have your vet do a post mortem exam. It does sound like this was unpreventable though.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (19954 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (22577 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (12255 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (31768 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (13391 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (6425 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (11489 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (23961 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (8317 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (13038 views)