Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: Pom
I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They were in their bed, one of them was gasping for air. Rattles came when I picked him up, then more gasping. Cough and a little blood, then a bubble of clear out his nose. Then he went limp. :( I was only home 5 minutes with him in my hands it only lasted a few minutes.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. Just to be clear before I answer...is Captain still alive or did he pass away?

Did he have any unusual symptoms before this happened? Was he gaining weight at the same rate as his littermates?

He did pass away. He was gaining weight, playful...It was a strange rattle, gasping. I looked to see if something was in his airway...nothing.

Oh, I'm so sorry that he has died. While I won't be able to tell you for sure what happened, let me give you a few of my thoughts.

If a puppy this young suddenly has respiratory symptoms and dies then the most common reason for this would be if he was born with a heart condition. Some dogs with heart conditions will have less weight gain than their siblings, but not always.

The rattling that you heard sounds like fluid in the chest. Heart failure can cause a dog to suddenly have fluid in the chest.

It's also possible that he had something called "idiopathic thymic hemorrhage". The thymus is a gland in the chest of puppies. Although it is rare, it can happen that the thymus just ruptures and we don't know why.

Yes, a choking of some sort is possible as well.

Ultimately the only way to know what has happened would be to have your vet do a post mortem exam. It does sound like this was unpreventable though.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24987 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32920 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8660 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7730 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (16100 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (24016 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (30641 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17894 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8273 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15370 views)