Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: Pom
I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They were in their bed, one of them was gasping for air. Rattles came when I picked him up, then more gasping. Cough and a little blood, then a bubble of clear out his nose. Then he went limp. :( I was only home 5 minutes with him in my hands it only lasted a few minutes.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. Just to be clear before I answer...is Captain still alive or did he pass away?

Did he have any unusual symptoms before this happened? Was he gaining weight at the same rate as his littermates?

He did pass away. He was gaining weight, playful...It was a strange rattle, gasping. I looked to see if something was in his airway...nothing.

Oh, I'm so sorry that he has died. While I won't be able to tell you for sure what happened, let me give you a few of my thoughts.

If a puppy this young suddenly has respiratory symptoms and dies then the most common reason for this would be if he was born with a heart condition. Some dogs with heart conditions will have less weight gain than their siblings, but not always.

The rattling that you heard sounds like fluid in the chest. Heart failure can cause a dog to suddenly have fluid in the chest.

It's also possible that he had something called "idiopathic thymic hemorrhage". The thymus is a gland in the chest of puppies. Although it is rare, it can happen that the thymus just ruptures and we don't know why.

Yes, a choking of some sort is possible as well.

Ultimately the only way to know what has happened would be to have your vet do a post mortem exam. It does sound like this was unpreventable though.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (5333 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7831 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15620 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (15267 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9871 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15597 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (66148 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (13603 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (7509 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (20746 views)