Constipated cat.

Breed:
my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him use the restroom

If a cat is constipated then it is always recommended to take him to the veterinarian. There is no easy fix such as a quick laxative in situations like this.

Usually there is an underlying reason for the constipation. He could have a condition called megacolon, or he could have a kidney problem which is causing dehydration which can cause the body to remove too much water from the stools. There are other possible reasons as well.

There are many different things that the vet can do. Often, I find I need to keep a cat in the hospital for a day or two and give repeated warm water enemas to help soften up the stool and then get it out. Sometimes I even have to administer an anesthetic and then manually use my hands to get the stool out.

Once the cat is cleared out there are a number of medicines that can help him to stay regular.

I have been having really good success lately with a food called Royal Canin Gastro diet for cats that has extra psyllium and other things that help cats to move their bowels.

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7188 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (16443 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6867 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (33667 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5463 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5534 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7555 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6949 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (17166 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7104 views)