Constipated cat.

Breed:
my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him use the restroom

If a cat is constipated then it is always recommended to take him to the veterinarian. There is no easy fix such as a quick laxative in situations like this.

Usually there is an underlying reason for the constipation. He could have a condition called megacolon, or he could have a kidney problem which is causing dehydration which can cause the body to remove too much water from the stools. There are other possible reasons as well.

There are many different things that the vet can do. Often, I find I need to keep a cat in the hospital for a day or two and give repeated warm water enemas to help soften up the stool and then get it out. Sometimes I even have to administer an anesthetic and then manually use my hands to get the stool out.

Once the cat is cleared out there are a number of medicines that can help him to stay regular.

I have been having really good success lately with a food called Royal Canin Gastro diet for cats that has extra psyllium and other things that help cats to move their bowels.

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11622 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10711 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10601 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (17141 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7350 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (23465 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8967 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9359 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (18202 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12794 views)