Dose of interceptor?

Breed: mixed
I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which is year round heartworm protection necessary. I've had many dogs, mostly rescue but not had a baby for a long time and never one this small. He is getting natural food and I try and keep chemicals, meds etc at a minimum. I do know that he does need to be protected from heartworm. I have another dog that takes preventative monthly. Looking at the heartworm meds, I see they start at 0-25 lbs for weigh. I am concerned about giving a 4 lb dog the same dosage as a dog 6x his size. Is that safe? I was also looking at Iverhart Max as it kills also round, hook and tapes. Is that too much medicine for a puppy that size? I like interceptor as it is the only one that kills whipworms which we do have here, but that starts at 11 lbs and I'm not sure what size he's going to grow into. Would appreciate your opinion of the heartworm meds, safe dosage and what age to start them.

Thank you.

Thanks for a great question.

These days, heartworm medications are extremely safe. I will often get asked questions by people who are worried because their pet ate several tablets of heartworm medication. In almost every case, the safety margin is HUGE, meaning that even if several tablets were eaten at once, no harm would be done.

Where I practice, we use a lot of Interceptor. It is our main dewormer and we give it to puppies, every two weeks for 3 treatments and then continue monthly. I will commonly give the 0-10 lb (i.e. Interceptor Brown) dose to tiny 2 pound chihuahuas. It is very safe.

I don't personally sell Iverhart Max. (It's possible that it is not available in Canada where I practice). However, if the label says that it is safe to use in 8 week old puppies (which I'm sure it is), then you can be comfortable using that instead.

Regarding the size to buy, this is a tough call. What I usually do in my practice is dispense it one month at a time when the dog is getting their puppy vaccinations. Then, by the time the puppy is getting the third vaccination, I usually have a good idea as to what size they are going to be into. When in doubt, I will go with the higher dosage because again, the medicine is very safe.

Hopefully that helps answer your question, but let me know if you have more concerns!

Thank you for the information. I decided to go with Interceptor and started to order it and I got this back from the supplier...

http://www.petmd.com/news/alerts-recalls/nws_novartis_possible_production_problems_with_clomicalm_deramaxx_interceptor_milbemite_program_sentinel#.T2skfMUgfzk

Drat... just when I thought I had the answer I was looking for... did what I wanted it to do and was in the 0-10 lb range that I thought was safer. Only other alternative is Heartguard or Iverhart and I'm leaning toward the Iverhart Max because it kills tapes too, but the lowest it goes is 0-25 lbs. Since I assume you're going to have the same problem getting Interceptor since they have stopped production..what are you going to provide for your clients? Do you still think Iverhart is safe enough for a 4 lb baby? Course it doesn't kill whipworm. Is there something I can buy just to kill those? Would have been so much simpler to just buy the Interceptor.......

I was going to mention that! I actually wrote an article about the Novartis shortage: Interceptor shortage. It was expected to be very short term, but is still affecting some vets.

So far in my practice we have not had to deal with a lack of interceptor or Sentinel so far, but this is because we had a big stock.

If we do have a shortage then, if I am using a drug for a general dewormer I'll likely use Pyran (which is good for roundworms and hookworms) and if they want an oral heartworm prevention I'll use Heartgard, but you're right, there is no whipworm prevention with that.

If Iverhart is labelled as safe for 0-25 pounds then you have nothing to worry about there.

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (6086 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9132 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7166 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19547 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5113 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19297 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24334 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13965 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13295 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14471 views)