Brown staining around pee area.

Breed: Australian Shepard M
The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I would like to know if there is something else going on that I need to address or why it is like this, it does not seem to bother her and does not look sore any help would be appreciated

When we are seeing brown staining around the vulva of a dog it usually means that the dog is licking at this area. For some reason, saliva stains fur brown.

Normally, if a dog is licking at this area then it means that there is an issue there. Many dogs will have a skin fold around the vulva. When there is a skin fold this area can get infected quite easily.

Most infections in this area do need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. It won't hurt to try using some neosporin or polysporin cream in this area 3x daily, but usually if there is infection stronger medicine is needed.

Sometimes the licking can just be because of a build up of debris. If this is the case, then cleaning the area a couple of times a week with a baby wipe will often help.

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (9799 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (6539 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (10992 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (41803 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (22586 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (7541 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (8667 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (79743 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (15149 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (8962 views)