Brown staining around pee area.

Breed: Australian Shepard M
The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I would like to know if there is something else going on that I need to address or why it is like this, it does not seem to bother her and does not look sore any help would be appreciated

When we are seeing brown staining around the vulva of a dog it usually means that the dog is licking at this area. For some reason, saliva stains fur brown.

Normally, if a dog is licking at this area then it means that there is an issue there. Many dogs will have a skin fold around the vulva. When there is a skin fold this area can get infected quite easily.

Most infections in this area do need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. It won't hurt to try using some neosporin or polysporin cream in this area 3x daily, but usually if there is infection stronger medicine is needed.

Sometimes the licking can just be because of a build up of debris. If this is the case, then cleaning the area a couple of times a week with a baby wipe will often help.

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (14138 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (6522 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (15316 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (12334 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (23384 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (10370 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (15469 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (10677 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9083 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10119 views)