Brown staining around pee area.

Breed: Australian Shepard M
The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I would like to know if there is something else going on that I need to address or why it is like this, it does not seem to bother her and does not look sore any help would be appreciated

When we are seeing brown staining around the vulva of a dog it usually means that the dog is licking at this area. For some reason, saliva stains fur brown.

Normally, if a dog is licking at this area then it means that there is an issue there. Many dogs will have a skin fold around the vulva. When there is a skin fold this area can get infected quite easily.

Most infections in this area do need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. It won't hurt to try using some neosporin or polysporin cream in this area 3x daily, but usually if there is infection stronger medicine is needed.

Sometimes the licking can just be because of a build up of debris. If this is the case, then cleaning the area a couple of times a week with a baby wipe will often help.

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (3409 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (8879 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (6716 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (15050 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (22456 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (14325 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (34889 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (3645 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (12212 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (12815 views)