Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12464 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5264 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11174 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (77223 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (20346 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (6261 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7957 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (62621 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8404 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (104316 views)