Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (4138 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (18085 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (5688 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (26574 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (13942 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (2985 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (18203 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (12705 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (9094 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (3452 views)