Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (10395 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (3367 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (5718 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (9971 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (23424 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (12460 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (6622 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (8012 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (25092 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (169566 views)