Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (11224 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (5694 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (7517 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (21599 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (10869 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (2284 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (6783 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (2879 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (10014 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (19633 views)