Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (19157 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (6461 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (8749 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (10437 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (15334 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (21948 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (11048 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (17026 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (5605 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (5852 views)