Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (57960 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (52657 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (248844 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (15102 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (16554 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (32994 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11496 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (38316 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (7758 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (12397 views)