Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (5912 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (5206 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (8909 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (8029 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (9448 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (3226 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (4044 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (15253 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (6928 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (7192 views)