Cat with coccidia

Breed: Bengal
My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she didn't think it was important. My cat doesn't have diarrhea and is healthy as far as I can see. Do you agree that we don't have to be worried? I've read a lot of stuff online that says that coccidia can be dangerous.

Thanks for a great question.

I can't remember the last time I saw coccidia in a cat. While we can occasionally find coccidia on a fecal exam of a cat, it usually doesn't mean anything significant.

If I did see a kitty with coccidia and the cat also had diarrhea then I likely would be treating. With that being said, as Scorch is a Bengal I would be wondering if the diarrhea was really due to coccidia. I'd probably be looking closer for tritrichomonas.

As your cat doesn't have diarrhea, I would agree with the vet that a few coccidia cysts in the stool sample are nothing to worry about.

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48378 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (138693 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (8438 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5327 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5090 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (7003 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4486 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (89455 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5741 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11069 views)