Can dogs take human antibiotics?

Breed: Chiapom
Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for wounds?

It's never a good idea to use your own medicine on a dog. There are a few reasons for this.

First, let's talk about creams:

The first reason is that the medicine will not be sterile. If you had an infection on your finger and were treating it with the cream, and then you later used that cream on your dog you could actually transmit some bacteria.

The second reason is that not all medications are safe for dogs. One example is calamine lotion. This product has zinc in it and if a dog licks at it it could cause some stomach upset or diarrhea.

The third reason is that antibiotic creams often not all that helpful for dog wounds. If a wound on a dog needs an antibiotic it usually needs to be treated with oral antibiotics.

Using a cream like neosporin or polysporin that you can buy over the counter usually won't hurt a dog, but it is rarely going to help.

And next, antibiotic tablets:

I do often prescribe antibiotic pills that are the exact same things that humans would use. There is no problem with dogs taking things like Cephalexin, Clavulanic acid and other human antibiotics. But, I would never recommend using your own antibiotics for your dog. Here are two reasons why:

1. If they were prescribed for you, then they are supposed to be used by you! You never want to take just part of a course of antibiotics. A few days of antibiotics can be a bad idea and can lead to antibiotic resistance.

2. There are many different kinds of antibiotics. If you were prescribed one type for a breathing issue and your dog has a skin issue then they may not be at all effective.

Hope that answers your question!

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (10499 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (20695 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (50818 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15668 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (6310 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22982 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (11350 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15892 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (27851 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (8034 views)