Can dogs take human antibiotics?

Breed: Chiapom
Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for wounds?

It's never a good idea to use your own medicine on a dog. There are a few reasons for this.

First, let's talk about creams:

The first reason is that the medicine will not be sterile. If you had an infection on your finger and were treating it with the cream, and then you later used that cream on your dog you could actually transmit some bacteria.

The second reason is that not all medications are safe for dogs. One example is calamine lotion. This product has zinc in it and if a dog licks at it it could cause some stomach upset or diarrhea.

The third reason is that antibiotic creams often not all that helpful for dog wounds. If a wound on a dog needs an antibiotic it usually needs to be treated with oral antibiotics.

Using a cream like neosporin or polysporin that you can buy over the counter usually won't hurt a dog, but it is rarely going to help.

And next, antibiotic tablets:

I do often prescribe antibiotic pills that are the exact same things that humans would use. There is no problem with dogs taking things like Cephalexin, Clavulanic acid and other human antibiotics. But, I would never recommend using your own antibiotics for your dog. Here are two reasons why:

1. If they were prescribed for you, then they are supposed to be used by you! You never want to take just part of a course of antibiotics. A few days of antibiotics can be a bad idea and can lead to antibiotic resistance.

2. There are many different kinds of antibiotics. If you were prescribed one type for a breathing issue and your dog has a skin issue then they may not be at all effective.

Hope that answers your question!

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (6760 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7303 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7141 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7194 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3187 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7847 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (10312 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (47190 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8745 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66606 views)