Can dogs take human antibiotics?

Breed: Chiapom
Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for wounds?

It's never a good idea to use your own medicine on a dog. There are a few reasons for this.

First, let's talk about creams:

The first reason is that the medicine will not be sterile. If you had an infection on your finger and were treating it with the cream, and then you later used that cream on your dog you could actually transmit some bacteria.

The second reason is that not all medications are safe for dogs. One example is calamine lotion. This product has zinc in it and if a dog licks at it it could cause some stomach upset or diarrhea.

The third reason is that antibiotic creams often not all that helpful for dog wounds. If a wound on a dog needs an antibiotic it usually needs to be treated with oral antibiotics.

Using a cream like neosporin or polysporin that you can buy over the counter usually won't hurt a dog, but it is rarely going to help.

And next, antibiotic tablets:

I do often prescribe antibiotic pills that are the exact same things that humans would use. There is no problem with dogs taking things like Cephalexin, Clavulanic acid and other human antibiotics. But, I would never recommend using your own antibiotics for your dog. Here are two reasons why:

1. If they were prescribed for you, then they are supposed to be used by you! You never want to take just part of a course of antibiotics. A few days of antibiotics can be a bad idea and can lead to antibiotic resistance.

2. There are many different kinds of antibiotics. If you were prescribed one type for a breathing issue and your dog has a skin issue then they may not be at all effective.

Hope that answers your question!

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (5169 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (28849 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (3779 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (41869 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (8377 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (9725 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (9201 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (13410 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (10275 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (5943 views)