Can dogs take human antibiotics?

Breed: Chiapom
Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for wounds?

It's never a good idea to use your own medicine on a dog. There are a few reasons for this.

First, let's talk about creams:

The first reason is that the medicine will not be sterile. If you had an infection on your finger and were treating it with the cream, and then you later used that cream on your dog you could actually transmit some bacteria.

The second reason is that not all medications are safe for dogs. One example is calamine lotion. This product has zinc in it and if a dog licks at it it could cause some stomach upset or diarrhea.

The third reason is that antibiotic creams often not all that helpful for dog wounds. If a wound on a dog needs an antibiotic it usually needs to be treated with oral antibiotics.

Using a cream like neosporin or polysporin that you can buy over the counter usually won't hurt a dog, but it is rarely going to help.

And next, antibiotic tablets:

I do often prescribe antibiotic pills that are the exact same things that humans would use. There is no problem with dogs taking things like Cephalexin, Clavulanic acid and other human antibiotics. But, I would never recommend using your own antibiotics for your dog. Here are two reasons why:

1. If they were prescribed for you, then they are supposed to be used by you! You never want to take just part of a course of antibiotics. A few days of antibiotics can be a bad idea and can lead to antibiotic resistance.

2. There are many different kinds of antibiotics. If you were prescribed one type for a breathing issue and your dog has a skin issue then they may not be at all effective.

Hope that answers your question!

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (3895 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (8367 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (6928 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (45307 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (15750 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9484 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7140 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (4494 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (12164 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (13847 views)