Lump on hamster

Breed: Most likely dwarf ha
Hi,

Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its tummy. It has a hole in the centre and it seems to be hard. Also, there is a red bubbled liked spot growing near its ear. I tried to apply tea tree skin cream (recommended by the pet store) on him and keeping him busy while the cream dries off but he keeps licking it off.

What is wrong with my hamster and what can I do?

Note: I'm not too sure about its sex because I adopted the hamster from a family who didn't want it online...

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear that Hoollaheh is having problems. (I like the name, by the way).

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing him or her, but I can give you a few ideas.

There are some "lumps" that can be normal on hamsters but they don't usually look like what you have described. If this is a male hamster, they will have testicles in the groin area that look like two lumps about the size of a little chocolate easter eggs. But, they shouldn't have a hole in the center.

The lumps you are describing may be tumors. Unfortunately if this were the case then there may not be a lot that can be done, although occasionally surgery can be done to remove a mass on a hamster.

Does it look at all like there is anything moving in the lumps? I have seen a few hamsters that have had a parasite called a cuterebra. These are little grubs that can grow under the skin. Eventually they fall out on their own. However, I usually recommend having your vet remove them before this happens.

It sounds like unfortunately a vet visit is necessary.

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (10881 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (6013 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10733 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (30630 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13159 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (14370 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (15467 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11567 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (14362 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9141 views)