Lump on hamster

Breed: Most likely dwarf ha
Hi,

Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its tummy. It has a hole in the centre and it seems to be hard. Also, there is a red bubbled liked spot growing near its ear. I tried to apply tea tree skin cream (recommended by the pet store) on him and keeping him busy while the cream dries off but he keeps licking it off.

What is wrong with my hamster and what can I do?

Note: I'm not too sure about its sex because I adopted the hamster from a family who didn't want it online...

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear that Hoollaheh is having problems. (I like the name, by the way).

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing him or her, but I can give you a few ideas.

There are some "lumps" that can be normal on hamsters but they don't usually look like what you have described. If this is a male hamster, they will have testicles in the groin area that look like two lumps about the size of a little chocolate easter eggs. But, they shouldn't have a hole in the center.

The lumps you are describing may be tumors. Unfortunately if this were the case then there may not be a lot that can be done, although occasionally surgery can be done to remove a mass on a hamster.

Does it look at all like there is anything moving in the lumps? I have seen a few hamsters that have had a parasite called a cuterebra. These are little grubs that can grow under the skin. Eventually they fall out on their own. However, I usually recommend having your vet remove them before this happens.

It sounds like unfortunately a vet visit is necessary.

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9930 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (16065 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (18342 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (30641 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (21706 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (11067 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8527 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (9338 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9556 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10513 views)