Lump on hamster

Breed: Most likely dwarf ha
Hi,

Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its tummy. It has a hole in the centre and it seems to be hard. Also, there is a red bubbled liked spot growing near its ear. I tried to apply tea tree skin cream (recommended by the pet store) on him and keeping him busy while the cream dries off but he keeps licking it off.

What is wrong with my hamster and what can I do?

Note: I'm not too sure about its sex because I adopted the hamster from a family who didn't want it online...

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear that Hoollaheh is having problems. (I like the name, by the way).

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing him or her, but I can give you a few ideas.

There are some "lumps" that can be normal on hamsters but they don't usually look like what you have described. If this is a male hamster, they will have testicles in the groin area that look like two lumps about the size of a little chocolate easter eggs. But, they shouldn't have a hole in the center.

The lumps you are describing may be tumors. Unfortunately if this were the case then there may not be a lot that can be done, although occasionally surgery can be done to remove a mass on a hamster.

Does it look at all like there is anything moving in the lumps? I have seen a few hamsters that have had a parasite called a cuterebra. These are little grubs that can grow under the skin. Eventually they fall out on their own. However, I usually recommend having your vet remove them before this happens.

It sounds like unfortunately a vet visit is necessary.

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16963 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (26547 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (15351 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (15064 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (25434 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (31899 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (69325 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (43159 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (11261 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (6279 views)