Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: None
My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my vet recommended. Last night he had a seizure for the second time, the first time was 6 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a fluke or something he ate. I read that kidney failure can produce seizures because of the build up of toxins in the blood. Is there any treatment to make sure he doesn't have another seizure, like seizure medications? Is the fact that he is starting to have seizures a bad sign? Will he start to have them more frequently. He is still moderately active and have a voracious appetite.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Misha is having these problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seizures. It is true that in the advanced stages of kidney disease there can be a buildup of toxins and this can cause seizures. Usually cats that are in stage are quite sick because of the kidney disease. They are usually very thin and have a poor appetite.

I get worried when an older animal who has no history of seizures starts having seizures. One of the more common reasons for an 18 year old animal to have seizures is a brain tumor. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for a brain tumor.

It would be a great idea to have your vet do a blood panel on Misha to see if there is a medical reason for the seizures. Unfortunately if there isn't then a tumor is very likely.

In either case, it is possible that a medication such as phenobarbital can help to reduce the frequency of seizures.

I have seen some animals that who randomly have a seizure and then never have another so hopefully this is the case.

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (33629 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (10761 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (11265 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (12146 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (11812 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (41080 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (101419 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (9733 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (10414 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5968 views)