Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: None
My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my vet recommended. Last night he had a seizure for the second time, the first time was 6 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a fluke or something he ate. I read that kidney failure can produce seizures because of the build up of toxins in the blood. Is there any treatment to make sure he doesn't have another seizure, like seizure medications? Is the fact that he is starting to have seizures a bad sign? Will he start to have them more frequently. He is still moderately active and have a voracious appetite.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Misha is having these problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seizures. It is true that in the advanced stages of kidney disease there can be a buildup of toxins and this can cause seizures. Usually cats that are in stage are quite sick because of the kidney disease. They are usually very thin and have a poor appetite.

I get worried when an older animal who has no history of seizures starts having seizures. One of the more common reasons for an 18 year old animal to have seizures is a brain tumor. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for a brain tumor.

It would be a great idea to have your vet do a blood panel on Misha to see if there is a medical reason for the seizures. Unfortunately if there isn't then a tumor is very likely.

In either case, it is possible that a medication such as phenobarbital can help to reduce the frequency of seizures.

I have seen some animals that who randomly have a seizure and then never have another so hopefully this is the case.

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8894 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (17978 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (96804 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (13708 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12554 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (33282 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (12294 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10532 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (241437 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (11135 views)