Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: None
My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my vet recommended. Last night he had a seizure for the second time, the first time was 6 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a fluke or something he ate. I read that kidney failure can produce seizures because of the build up of toxins in the blood. Is there any treatment to make sure he doesn't have another seizure, like seizure medications? Is the fact that he is starting to have seizures a bad sign? Will he start to have them more frequently. He is still moderately active and have a voracious appetite.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Misha is having these problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seizures. It is true that in the advanced stages of kidney disease there can be a buildup of toxins and this can cause seizures. Usually cats that are in stage are quite sick because of the kidney disease. They are usually very thin and have a poor appetite.

I get worried when an older animal who has no history of seizures starts having seizures. One of the more common reasons for an 18 year old animal to have seizures is a brain tumor. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for a brain tumor.

It would be a great idea to have your vet do a blood panel on Misha to see if there is a medical reason for the seizures. Unfortunately if there isn't then a tumor is very likely.

In either case, it is possible that a medication such as phenobarbital can help to reduce the frequency of seizures.

I have seen some animals that who randomly have a seizure and then never have another so hopefully this is the case.

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8626 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14509 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22144 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9507 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6498 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9873 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11234 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4166 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4662 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15338 views)