Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: None
My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my vet recommended. Last night he had a seizure for the second time, the first time was 6 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a fluke or something he ate. I read that kidney failure can produce seizures because of the build up of toxins in the blood. Is there any treatment to make sure he doesn't have another seizure, like seizure medications? Is the fact that he is starting to have seizures a bad sign? Will he start to have them more frequently. He is still moderately active and have a voracious appetite.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Misha is having these problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seizures. It is true that in the advanced stages of kidney disease there can be a buildup of toxins and this can cause seizures. Usually cats that are in stage are quite sick because of the kidney disease. They are usually very thin and have a poor appetite.

I get worried when an older animal who has no history of seizures starts having seizures. One of the more common reasons for an 18 year old animal to have seizures is a brain tumor. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for a brain tumor.

It would be a great idea to have your vet do a blood panel on Misha to see if there is a medical reason for the seizures. Unfortunately if there isn't then a tumor is very likely.

In either case, it is possible that a medication such as phenobarbital can help to reduce the frequency of seizures.

I have seen some animals that who randomly have a seizure and then never have another so hopefully this is the case.

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15920 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (63827 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (28297 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (43049 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13908 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (19086 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (6076 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (18474 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16445 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19190 views)