Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: None
My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my vet recommended. Last night he had a seizure for the second time, the first time was 6 weeks ago and I was hoping it was a fluke or something he ate. I read that kidney failure can produce seizures because of the build up of toxins in the blood. Is there any treatment to make sure he doesn't have another seizure, like seizure medications? Is the fact that he is starting to have seizures a bad sign? Will he start to have them more frequently. He is still moderately active and have a voracious appetite.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Misha is having these problems.

There are a few possible reasons for seizures. It is true that in the advanced stages of kidney disease there can be a buildup of toxins and this can cause seizures. Usually cats that are in stage are quite sick because of the kidney disease. They are usually very thin and have a poor appetite.

I get worried when an older animal who has no history of seizures starts having seizures. One of the more common reasons for an 18 year old animal to have seizures is a brain tumor. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for a brain tumor.

It would be a great idea to have your vet do a blood panel on Misha to see if there is a medical reason for the seizures. Unfortunately if there isn't then a tumor is very likely.

In either case, it is possible that a medication such as phenobarbital can help to reduce the frequency of seizures.

I have seen some animals that who randomly have a seizure and then never have another so hopefully this is the case.

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (9997 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (7493 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (10581 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (10537 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16809 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (9691 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (36594 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (16922 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23758 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (16002 views)