Different pupil sizes in older cat.

Breed: domestic shorthair
I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other isn't. I took him to the vet who checked with a penlight and said that both eyes reacted to light, but other than that, he couldn't tell me anything. Should I be concerned?

It's interesting that you have noticed this change in your cat's eyes. The medical term for what you are seeing is "anisocoria".

When a cat develops anisocoria at a senior age I usually do get concerned that there is something going on. There are a few possibilities.

One possibility is if the cat has a detached retina. This would be occurring in the eye that is dilated. Usually, this can be seen by the vet by looking inside of the eye with an instrument called an ophthalmoscope, but sometimes it is not obvious. The most common reason for a detached retina is high blood pressure. So, if this were my case I would likely be measuring Lucas' blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause a number of issues with cats and as such it really should be addressed.

Another possibility is a tumor affecting the optic nerve. (The optic nerve is the nerve that goes from the eye to the brain.) This is really hard to diagnose unless you have access to having a CT scan done. A CT scan can be expensive (usually around $1000 or so). Unfortunately, a tumor is probably one of the more common reasons for anisocoria in an older cat. The good news is that it is not likely to be painful. Many tumors can be very slow growing. If this is a tumor in this area you may start to see some neurological symptoms such as seizures.

We don't commonly see strokes in cats, but a small stroke could also cause a difference in pupil size. If this is the case, then Lucas may always be this way and it is nothing to worry about. Again, there is not much that can be done.

If this were my case I would likely check his blood pressure simply because if this were a blood pressure issue then there are things that can and should be done. But, if the blood pressure is normal then I would likely do nothing for now and keep an eye on him.

Another option for you would be for you to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist. These vets specialize in eye issues for cats and dogs and really should be able to tell you what is going on.

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (37301 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (9588 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (10741 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (9597 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (13362 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (13172 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (34464 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (11108 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (5839 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (13966 views)