Different pupil sizes in older cat.

Breed: domestic shorthair
I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other isn't. I took him to the vet who checked with a penlight and said that both eyes reacted to light, but other than that, he couldn't tell me anything. Should I be concerned?

It's interesting that you have noticed this change in your cat's eyes. The medical term for what you are seeing is "anisocoria".

When a cat develops anisocoria at a senior age I usually do get concerned that there is something going on. There are a few possibilities.

One possibility is if the cat has a detached retina. This would be occurring in the eye that is dilated. Usually, this can be seen by the vet by looking inside of the eye with an instrument called an ophthalmoscope, but sometimes it is not obvious. The most common reason for a detached retina is high blood pressure. So, if this were my case I would likely be measuring Lucas' blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause a number of issues with cats and as such it really should be addressed.

Another possibility is a tumor affecting the optic nerve. (The optic nerve is the nerve that goes from the eye to the brain.) This is really hard to diagnose unless you have access to having a CT scan done. A CT scan can be expensive (usually around $1000 or so). Unfortunately, a tumor is probably one of the more common reasons for anisocoria in an older cat. The good news is that it is not likely to be painful. Many tumors can be very slow growing. If this is a tumor in this area you may start to see some neurological symptoms such as seizures.

We don't commonly see strokes in cats, but a small stroke could also cause a difference in pupil size. If this is the case, then Lucas may always be this way and it is nothing to worry about. Again, there is not much that can be done.

If this were my case I would likely check his blood pressure simply because if this were a blood pressure issue then there are things that can and should be done. But, if the blood pressure is normal then I would likely do nothing for now and keep an eye on him.

Another option for you would be for you to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist. These vets specialize in eye issues for cats and dogs and really should be able to tell you what is going on.

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (40871 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (22755 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9123 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (9248 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (19274 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (29292 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7291 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (40043 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (10668 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (10849 views)