Different pupil sizes in older cat.

Breed: domestic shorthair
I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other isn't. I took him to the vet who checked with a penlight and said that both eyes reacted to light, but other than that, he couldn't tell me anything. Should I be concerned?

It's interesting that you have noticed this change in your cat's eyes. The medical term for what you are seeing is "anisocoria".

When a cat develops anisocoria at a senior age I usually do get concerned that there is something going on. There are a few possibilities.

One possibility is if the cat has a detached retina. This would be occurring in the eye that is dilated. Usually, this can be seen by the vet by looking inside of the eye with an instrument called an ophthalmoscope, but sometimes it is not obvious. The most common reason for a detached retina is high blood pressure. So, if this were my case I would likely be measuring Lucas' blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause a number of issues with cats and as such it really should be addressed.

Another possibility is a tumor affecting the optic nerve. (The optic nerve is the nerve that goes from the eye to the brain.) This is really hard to diagnose unless you have access to having a CT scan done. A CT scan can be expensive (usually around $1000 or so). Unfortunately, a tumor is probably one of the more common reasons for anisocoria in an older cat. The good news is that it is not likely to be painful. Many tumors can be very slow growing. If this is a tumor in this area you may start to see some neurological symptoms such as seizures.

We don't commonly see strokes in cats, but a small stroke could also cause a difference in pupil size. If this is the case, then Lucas may always be this way and it is nothing to worry about. Again, there is not much that can be done.

If this were my case I would likely check his blood pressure simply because if this were a blood pressure issue then there are things that can and should be done. But, if the blood pressure is normal then I would likely do nothing for now and keep an eye on him.

Another option for you would be for you to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist. These vets specialize in eye issues for cats and dogs and really should be able to tell you what is going on.

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10924 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10515 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (11037 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11190 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (8229 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7418 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16476 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (96088 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (26381 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7755 views)