Different pupil sizes in older cat.

Breed: domestic shorthair
I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other isn't. I took him to the vet who checked with a penlight and said that both eyes reacted to light, but other than that, he couldn't tell me anything. Should I be concerned?

It's interesting that you have noticed this change in your cat's eyes. The medical term for what you are seeing is "anisocoria".

When a cat develops anisocoria at a senior age I usually do get concerned that there is something going on. There are a few possibilities.

One possibility is if the cat has a detached retina. This would be occurring in the eye that is dilated. Usually, this can be seen by the vet by looking inside of the eye with an instrument called an ophthalmoscope, but sometimes it is not obvious. The most common reason for a detached retina is high blood pressure. So, if this were my case I would likely be measuring Lucas' blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause a number of issues with cats and as such it really should be addressed.

Another possibility is a tumor affecting the optic nerve. (The optic nerve is the nerve that goes from the eye to the brain.) This is really hard to diagnose unless you have access to having a CT scan done. A CT scan can be expensive (usually around $1000 or so). Unfortunately, a tumor is probably one of the more common reasons for anisocoria in an older cat. The good news is that it is not likely to be painful. Many tumors can be very slow growing. If this is a tumor in this area you may start to see some neurological symptoms such as seizures.

We don't commonly see strokes in cats, but a small stroke could also cause a difference in pupil size. If this is the case, then Lucas may always be this way and it is nothing to worry about. Again, there is not much that can be done.

If this were my case I would likely check his blood pressure simply because if this were a blood pressure issue then there are things that can and should be done. But, if the blood pressure is normal then I would likely do nothing for now and keep an eye on him.

Another option for you would be for you to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist. These vets specialize in eye issues for cats and dogs and really should be able to tell you what is going on.

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (9162 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (13227 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8993 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6824 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10751 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7089 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (185806 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (27357 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (75761 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8284 views)