Different pupil sizes in older cat.

Breed: domestic shorthair
I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other isn't. I took him to the vet who checked with a penlight and said that both eyes reacted to light, but other than that, he couldn't tell me anything. Should I be concerned?

It's interesting that you have noticed this change in your cat's eyes. The medical term for what you are seeing is "anisocoria".

When a cat develops anisocoria at a senior age I usually do get concerned that there is something going on. There are a few possibilities.

One possibility is if the cat has a detached retina. This would be occurring in the eye that is dilated. Usually, this can be seen by the vet by looking inside of the eye with an instrument called an ophthalmoscope, but sometimes it is not obvious. The most common reason for a detached retina is high blood pressure. So, if this were my case I would likely be measuring Lucas' blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause a number of issues with cats and as such it really should be addressed.

Another possibility is a tumor affecting the optic nerve. (The optic nerve is the nerve that goes from the eye to the brain.) This is really hard to diagnose unless you have access to having a CT scan done. A CT scan can be expensive (usually around $1000 or so). Unfortunately, a tumor is probably one of the more common reasons for anisocoria in an older cat. The good news is that it is not likely to be painful. Many tumors can be very slow growing. If this is a tumor in this area you may start to see some neurological symptoms such as seizures.

We don't commonly see strokes in cats, but a small stroke could also cause a difference in pupil size. If this is the case, then Lucas may always be this way and it is nothing to worry about. Again, there is not much that can be done.

If this were my case I would likely check his blood pressure simply because if this were a blood pressure issue then there are things that can and should be done. But, if the blood pressure is normal then I would likely do nothing for now and keep an eye on him.

Another option for you would be for you to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist. These vets specialize in eye issues for cats and dogs and really should be able to tell you what is going on.

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27799 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (33039 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11804 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9819 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8254 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (23433 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (5516 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (32421 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6985 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28964 views)