Tapeworm contagious?

Breed: Siamese
I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a kitten. He is an outdoor/indoor cat...so he roams freely....he is sweet and loving, but I have noticed, on and off, the presence of tapeworms....they are small white, rice or sesame like pieces from his behind....when I find then, I clean them off him so it doesn\'t get on me or the furniture.....I want to self deworm him and I want to know if he needs to be confined while I do this.....I worry about finding worms all around my house.....I have anew kitten, 4weedks old, and indoors right now...but will take him to the vet for shots and deworming....I can\'t afford to do both cats...
Thank you

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworm can only be transmitted to a cat through some type of intermediate host. The cat has to eat either a flea or a mouse that is carrying tapeworm. The segments that you find are not contagious to other cats or to people at all.

There's no need to confine Vincent while he is being treated.

If he is repeatedly getting tapeworms, you may want to make sure he is also on a prescription flea product (as well as all of the other cats in the house.) Or, if you think he is getting them from eating mice, then you may need to deworm him every couple of months.

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (17479 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12034 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21914 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23753 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26731 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9567 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4832 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (14979 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (38500 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7186 views)