Tapeworm contagious?

Breed: Siamese
I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a kitten. He is an outdoor/indoor cat...so he roams freely....he is sweet and loving, but I have noticed, on and off, the presence of tapeworms....they are small white, rice or sesame like pieces from his behind....when I find then, I clean them off him so it doesn\'t get on me or the furniture.....I want to self deworm him and I want to know if he needs to be confined while I do this.....I worry about finding worms all around my house.....I have anew kitten, 4weedks old, and indoors right now...but will take him to the vet for shots and deworming....I can\'t afford to do both cats...
Thank you

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworm can only be transmitted to a cat through some type of intermediate host. The cat has to eat either a flea or a mouse that is carrying tapeworm. The segments that you find are not contagious to other cats or to people at all.

There's no need to confine Vincent while he is being treated.

If he is repeatedly getting tapeworms, you may want to make sure he is also on a prescription flea product (as well as all of the other cats in the house.) Or, if you think he is getting them from eating mice, then you may need to deworm him every couple of months.

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (8676 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10569 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6047 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (11833 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8172 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (17819 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (20908 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (17518 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (10296 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6079 views)