Tapeworm contagious?

Breed: Siamese
I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a kitten. He is an outdoor/indoor cat...so he roams freely....he is sweet and loving, but I have noticed, on and off, the presence of tapeworms....they are small white, rice or sesame like pieces from his behind....when I find then, I clean them off him so it doesn\'t get on me or the furniture.....I want to self deworm him and I want to know if he needs to be confined while I do this.....I worry about finding worms all around my house.....I have anew kitten, 4weedks old, and indoors right now...but will take him to the vet for shots and deworming....I can\'t afford to do both cats...
Thank you

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworm can only be transmitted to a cat through some type of intermediate host. The cat has to eat either a flea or a mouse that is carrying tapeworm. The segments that you find are not contagious to other cats or to people at all.

There's no need to confine Vincent while he is being treated.

If he is repeatedly getting tapeworms, you may want to make sure he is also on a prescription flea product (as well as all of the other cats in the house.) Or, if you think he is getting them from eating mice, then you may need to deworm him every couple of months.

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11526 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7539 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14611 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4945 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (14788 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10456 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9234 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10773 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9038 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10986 views)