Black spot on Hamster's skin.

Breed: hamster
my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a golden hamster and my hamster is coming 3 years of age should i buy him a new cage???????

It's tough to answer this question without seeing your hamster. However I am wondering if what you are seeing is a scent gland.

Golden (syrian) hamsters have scent glands on either side of their body. I have had several clients who had hamsters whose scent glands were mistaken for a wound or growth. Scent glands are totally normal and don't need to be treated.

Sometimes scent glands can get infected. So, if you think this spot is bothersome then it is worthwhile to have your vet take a look.

Hamsters can also get growths and skin wounds. But, my guess is that this is a scent gland.

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (64536 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24112 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12590 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16273 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (46854 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (43937 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7434 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (222444 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13797 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (4748 views)