Black spot on Hamster's skin.

Breed: hamster
my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a golden hamster and my hamster is coming 3 years of age should i buy him a new cage???????

It's tough to answer this question without seeing your hamster. However I am wondering if what you are seeing is a scent gland.

Golden (syrian) hamsters have scent glands on either side of their body. I have had several clients who had hamsters whose scent glands were mistaken for a wound or growth. Scent glands are totally normal and don't need to be treated.

Sometimes scent glands can get infected. So, if you think this spot is bothersome then it is worthwhile to have your vet take a look.

Hamsters can also get growths and skin wounds. But, my guess is that this is a scent gland.

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10898 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18683 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9476 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (21128 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8093 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16666 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (17908 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12043 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9618 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (58300 views)