Black spot on Hamster's skin.

Breed: hamster
my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a golden hamster and my hamster is coming 3 years of age should i buy him a new cage???????

It's tough to answer this question without seeing your hamster. However I am wondering if what you are seeing is a scent gland.

Golden (syrian) hamsters have scent glands on either side of their body. I have had several clients who had hamsters whose scent glands were mistaken for a wound or growth. Scent glands are totally normal and don't need to be treated.

Sometimes scent glands can get infected. So, if you think this spot is bothersome then it is worthwhile to have your vet take a look.

Hamsters can also get growths and skin wounds. But, my guess is that this is a scent gland.

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (7595 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (10223 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (18781 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8993 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (16632 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8187 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (13606 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (8958 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27329 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (4956 views)