Black spot on Hamster's skin.

Breed: hamster
my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a golden hamster and my hamster is coming 3 years of age should i buy him a new cage???????

It's tough to answer this question without seeing your hamster. However I am wondering if what you are seeing is a scent gland.

Golden (syrian) hamsters have scent glands on either side of their body. I have had several clients who had hamsters whose scent glands were mistaken for a wound or growth. Scent glands are totally normal and don't need to be treated.

Sometimes scent glands can get infected. So, if you think this spot is bothersome then it is worthwhile to have your vet take a look.

Hamsters can also get growths and skin wounds. But, my guess is that this is a scent gland.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (13256 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (62527 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (14627 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (12302 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (25026 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (21240 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (11829 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (9010 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (18359 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (19773 views)