Raw skin on nose.

Breed: shiba inu
My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him licking it constantly creates a white film on his nose)It smells bad/rotten when I smell it.

We got topical antibiotics/oral antibiotics/steroids about a year ago for treatment of a nose infection. They seemed to work a little but once the supply ran out, the "infection" was back in full force.

This week he has formed a cyst between his toes, not sure if related but is also a concern.

Please help!

Oh, this doesn't sound good. I'm concerned that Ronin could have a serious autoimmune condition affecting his nose such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. These conditions cause ulcerations on the nose (and often the feet or ears or mouth as well). The ulcerated area can become infected.

Unfortunately there is no cure for either condition but they can usually be managed with steroids.

Because you are noticing a bad smell I think an infection is quite likely.

Hopefully you can have a vet see him really soon!

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4700 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5908 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10794 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (18171 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7889 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (19920 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (30625 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (13067 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15774 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6292 views)