Raw skin on nose.

Breed: shiba inu
My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him licking it constantly creates a white film on his nose)It smells bad/rotten when I smell it.

We got topical antibiotics/oral antibiotics/steroids about a year ago for treatment of a nose infection. They seemed to work a little but once the supply ran out, the "infection" was back in full force.

This week he has formed a cyst between his toes, not sure if related but is also a concern.

Please help!

Oh, this doesn't sound good. I'm concerned that Ronin could have a serious autoimmune condition affecting his nose such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. These conditions cause ulcerations on the nose (and often the feet or ears or mouth as well). The ulcerated area can become infected.

Unfortunately there is no cure for either condition but they can usually be managed with steroids.

Because you are noticing a bad smell I think an infection is quite likely.

Hopefully you can have a vet see him really soon!

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (4461 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (4180 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (45499 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (9420 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (7472 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (6502 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (8916 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (19701 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (9041 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (11613 views)