Raw skin on nose.

Breed: shiba inu
My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him licking it constantly creates a white film on his nose)It smells bad/rotten when I smell it.

We got topical antibiotics/oral antibiotics/steroids about a year ago for treatment of a nose infection. They seemed to work a little but once the supply ran out, the "infection" was back in full force.

This week he has formed a cyst between his toes, not sure if related but is also a concern.

Please help!

Oh, this doesn't sound good. I'm concerned that Ronin could have a serious autoimmune condition affecting his nose such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. These conditions cause ulcerations on the nose (and often the feet or ears or mouth as well). The ulcerated area can become infected.

Unfortunately there is no cure for either condition but they can usually be managed with steroids.

Because you are noticing a bad smell I think an infection is quite likely.

Hopefully you can have a vet see him really soon!

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (7036 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (3905 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (15210 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (16338 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (9096 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (8704 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (10043 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (56969 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (12066 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (7456 views)