Older dog - bloody diarrhea.

Breed: cocker spaniel/golde
My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea since Thursday, I tried giving her rice, but no difference. It's getting worse, it's VERY liquidy and now she's been bleeding since yesterday. Not just diarrhea, but blood drips out by itself. Her appetite was fine at first, she didn't seem interested in food last night, so I didn't give her any. So she didn't eat for 24 hours, but I just gave her some rice with boiled chicken and she ate it up. We took her to the vet today and they took a blood sample and gave us metronidazole to help stop the diarrhea. He gave no scenarios as to what could be causing it, or what we may expect. We'd like a 2nd opinion, but truthfully can't afford another office visit and because of our schedules we wouldn't be able to take her until later next week. We have 3 small children - it may be a silly question, but is there any chance she has something they can get? Is there anything else you can tell me?

I'm sorry to hear that Shelley is not feeling well. What an interesting breed - I would imagine that a Golden cocker spaniel mix is a real sweetheart!

There are a great number of reasons for bloody diarrhea in a dog. The good news is that the majority of the time it is nothing serious. The cause can be something that she ate, but often we don't know what the cause is.

The metronidazole that your vet gave is a common treatment for diarrhea. It is an antibiotic. However, it has properties that really help with inflammation in the intestines. Often just stopping the inflammation will clear things up. I usually recommend a bland food as well which could be either boiled chicken and rice, or a commercial prescription food such as Royal-Canin Gastro. (This would be something you would have to get at your vet's office.)

Because Shelley is an older dog, I think it is wise that your vet wanted to do some blood tests to make sure that there is not a more serious problem like a kidney or liver issue. It is a little concerning that she lost her appetite. However, the fact that she eventually started eating again is a really good sign.

I will commonly treat a dog in the same way that your vet is treating Shelley. If the dog is really unwell and dehydrated then I will recommend a day or two in the hospital on IV fluids, but it sounds like your vet didn't feel that she needed that.

From this point, you may find that she goes a day or two without any stool. This is common after having had diarrhea. Then, you should find that things gradually get better.

I would be worried if you are noticing more lethargy or lack of appetite again.

One additional thought. There have been a number of food and treat issues lately that could cause diarrhea problems so you may want to check out this list of pet food and treat recalls"> to see if anything fits.

I hope she's ok. Let me know if you have more questions!

Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about
SEO for Wix?

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (24310 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (24527 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14350 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (18297 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8147 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10493 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38474 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10588 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9075 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11535 views)