Itchy on back.

Breed: Boston terrier
max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to his vet. He has a skin problem on lower back. It seem to itch and he has scratched off his hair from his but up about 6 inches. He's had steroids and cortizone and lotions etc my vet is stumped........do you have any idea? He just seems so uncomfortable.
Mark

These are always frustrating problems, especially if your vet is stumped!

It's hard for me to add much without seeing Max, but I'll see if I can help out at all.

The first thing I would do if this were my case is to put him on a good prescription strength flea product even if I don't see fleas there. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite will set them off with severe itchiness, especially in the area you have described.

I would probably also treat him with antibiotics for 4-8 weeks in case of infection.

If steroids have made no difference then I would consider doing a skin scraping to look for mange. Sarcoptic mange often will not respond to steroids and still be itchy.

If these things are not working then the next step is to have your vet take a biopsy of the area. It may seem a little pricey, but it will be the most accurate way to figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (12447 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (106300 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8808 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (13841 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (9643 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (15865 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4210 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (27337 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (31740 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (11616 views)