Itchy on back.

Breed: Boston terrier
max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to his vet. He has a skin problem on lower back. It seem to itch and he has scratched off his hair from his but up about 6 inches. He's had steroids and cortizone and lotions etc my vet is stumped........do you have any idea? He just seems so uncomfortable.
Mark

These are always frustrating problems, especially if your vet is stumped!

It's hard for me to add much without seeing Max, but I'll see if I can help out at all.

The first thing I would do if this were my case is to put him on a good prescription strength flea product even if I don't see fleas there. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite will set them off with severe itchiness, especially in the area you have described.

I would probably also treat him with antibiotics for 4-8 weeks in case of infection.

If steroids have made no difference then I would consider doing a skin scraping to look for mange. Sarcoptic mange often will not respond to steroids and still be itchy.

If these things are not working then the next step is to have your vet take a biopsy of the area. It may seem a little pricey, but it will be the most accurate way to figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (8514 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (31660 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (16399 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (29085 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (24318 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (7957 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (17205 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (38504 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (6587 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (12708 views)