Itchy on back.

Breed: Boston terrier
max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to his vet. He has a skin problem on lower back. It seem to itch and he has scratched off his hair from his but up about 6 inches. He's had steroids and cortizone and lotions etc my vet is stumped........do you have any idea? He just seems so uncomfortable.
Mark

These are always frustrating problems, especially if your vet is stumped!

It's hard for me to add much without seeing Max, but I'll see if I can help out at all.

The first thing I would do if this were my case is to put him on a good prescription strength flea product even if I don't see fleas there. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite will set them off with severe itchiness, especially in the area you have described.

I would probably also treat him with antibiotics for 4-8 weeks in case of infection.

If steroids have made no difference then I would consider doing a skin scraping to look for mange. Sarcoptic mange often will not respond to steroids and still be itchy.

If these things are not working then the next step is to have your vet take a biopsy of the area. It may seem a little pricey, but it will be the most accurate way to figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (8030 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (83755 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10541 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7040 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9087 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9695 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18470 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15038 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8029 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14503 views)