Itchy on back.

Breed: Boston terrier
max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to his vet. He has a skin problem on lower back. It seem to itch and he has scratched off his hair from his but up about 6 inches. He's had steroids and cortizone and lotions etc my vet is stumped........do you have any idea? He just seems so uncomfortable.
Mark

These are always frustrating problems, especially if your vet is stumped!

It's hard for me to add much without seeing Max, but I'll see if I can help out at all.

The first thing I would do if this were my case is to put him on a good prescription strength flea product even if I don't see fleas there. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite will set them off with severe itchiness, especially in the area you have described.

I would probably also treat him with antibiotics for 4-8 weeks in case of infection.

If steroids have made no difference then I would consider doing a skin scraping to look for mange. Sarcoptic mange often will not respond to steroids and still be itchy.

If these things are not working then the next step is to have your vet take a biopsy of the area. It may seem a little pricey, but it will be the most accurate way to figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (84033 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (6844 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (11700 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7895 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (9902 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (50985 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (15607 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (146812 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (29319 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (10929 views)