Swollen vulva.

Breed: Rar Terrier
"I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal that her front private is so huge! http://oi45.tinypic.com/2h3spsi.jpg please answer!I'm really worried"

Thanks for the photo. I've included it here:

swollen vulva

It certainly does look like Sammy has a swollen vulva. If this is the case then there is a good chance that she is coming in to heat. Any time after 5-6 months of age a dog can come into heat. You will likely notice some bleeding for a week or two.

At this time she will be fertile to males so make sure she stays away. We don't want a 6 month old dog getting pregnant!

Once she is finished her heat, wait a month or so and I would highly advise having her spayed.

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11761 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (6974 views)

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (7434 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11395 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32453 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8339 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38369 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7854 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (8994 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11685 views)