Swollen vulva.

Breed: Rar Terrier
"I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal that her front private is so huge! http://oi45.tinypic.com/2h3spsi.jpg please answer!I'm really worried"

Thanks for the photo. I've included it here:

swollen vulva

It certainly does look like Sammy has a swollen vulva. If this is the case then there is a good chance that she is coming in to heat. Any time after 5-6 months of age a dog can come into heat. You will likely notice some bleeding for a week or two.

At this time she will be fertile to males so make sure she stays away. We don't want a 6 month old dog getting pregnant!

Once she is finished her heat, wait a month or so and I would highly advise having her spayed.

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (9255 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (6048 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (5130 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (13208 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (62456 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (48830 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (5862 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (2884 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (18582 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (6451 views)