Diarrhea with canned food.

Breed: Maine Coon
We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little canned plus always have dry out for them. he loves it but after trying different kinds it seems to bothre him with diarreah.But he cries for food in mornigns and he is not at all fat. the only dry food he seemed to like was Healthy Weight kind. Is it ok to give him tuna all the tmie or what other alternatives are out there without too much expense.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It's not ideal for a cat to eat tuna on a regular basis. Here is a similar question where I answer whether or not it is safe for a cat to eat tuna.

If canned food gives Goliath diarrhea, it is ok for him to just stick to dry food.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there aren't any parasite issues with Goliath. Sometimes if a cat has a parasite such as giardia for example, they can be extra sensitive to certain foods.

If you want to feed a canned food you could talk to your vet about a prescription food such as Hill's i/d. However, this would not be an inexpensive food.

Again, if he is crying for food and he is not overweight then I would increase his dry ration and that really should be ok!

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (8194 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (14223 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (46854 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11737 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7711 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (11164 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6265 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (21327 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5799 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (19161 views)