Diarrhea with canned food.

Breed: Maine Coon
We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little canned plus always have dry out for them. he loves it but after trying different kinds it seems to bothre him with diarreah.But he cries for food in mornigns and he is not at all fat. the only dry food he seemed to like was Healthy Weight kind. Is it ok to give him tuna all the tmie or what other alternatives are out there without too much expense.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It's not ideal for a cat to eat tuna on a regular basis. Here is a similar question where I answer whether or not it is safe for a cat to eat tuna.

If canned food gives Goliath diarrhea, it is ok for him to just stick to dry food.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there aren't any parasite issues with Goliath. Sometimes if a cat has a parasite such as giardia for example, they can be extra sensitive to certain foods.

If you want to feed a canned food you could talk to your vet about a prescription food such as Hill's i/d. However, this would not be an inexpensive food.

Again, if he is crying for food and he is not overweight then I would increase his dry ration and that really should be ok!

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5549 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (233977 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10046 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (27250 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8274 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7851 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7200 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6562 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (31885 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7760 views)