Diarrhea with canned food.

Breed: Maine Coon
We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little canned plus always have dry out for them. he loves it but after trying different kinds it seems to bothre him with diarreah.But he cries for food in mornigns and he is not at all fat. the only dry food he seemed to like was Healthy Weight kind. Is it ok to give him tuna all the tmie or what other alternatives are out there without too much expense.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It's not ideal for a cat to eat tuna on a regular basis. Here is a similar question where I answer whether or not it is safe for a cat to eat tuna.

If canned food gives Goliath diarrhea, it is ok for him to just stick to dry food.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there aren't any parasite issues with Goliath. Sometimes if a cat has a parasite such as giardia for example, they can be extra sensitive to certain foods.

If you want to feed a canned food you could talk to your vet about a prescription food such as Hill's i/d. However, this would not be an inexpensive food.

Again, if he is crying for food and he is not overweight then I would increase his dry ration and that really should be ok!

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (11073 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (7344 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (8653 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (20473 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (6921 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (15374 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (7557 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (9558 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (15048 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (67501 views)