Diarrhea with canned food.

Breed: Maine Coon
We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little canned plus always have dry out for them. he loves it but after trying different kinds it seems to bothre him with diarreah.But he cries for food in mornigns and he is not at all fat. the only dry food he seemed to like was Healthy Weight kind. Is it ok to give him tuna all the tmie or what other alternatives are out there without too much expense.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It's not ideal for a cat to eat tuna on a regular basis. Here is a similar question where I answer whether or not it is safe for a cat to eat tuna.

If canned food gives Goliath diarrhea, it is ok for him to just stick to dry food.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there aren't any parasite issues with Goliath. Sometimes if a cat has a parasite such as giardia for example, they can be extra sensitive to certain foods.

If you want to feed a canned food you could talk to your vet about a prescription food such as Hill's i/d. However, this would not be an inexpensive food.

Again, if he is crying for food and he is not overweight then I would increase his dry ration and that really should be ok!

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (15235 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (8526 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (13173 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (23063 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (7558 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (15915 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (4407 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (10697 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (17312 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (15439 views)