Diarrhea with canned food.

Breed: Maine Coon
We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little canned plus always have dry out for them. he loves it but after trying different kinds it seems to bothre him with diarreah.But he cries for food in mornigns and he is not at all fat. the only dry food he seemed to like was Healthy Weight kind. Is it ok to give him tuna all the tmie or what other alternatives are out there without too much expense.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It's not ideal for a cat to eat tuna on a regular basis. Here is a similar question where I answer whether or not it is safe for a cat to eat tuna.

If canned food gives Goliath diarrhea, it is ok for him to just stick to dry food.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there aren't any parasite issues with Goliath. Sometimes if a cat has a parasite such as giardia for example, they can be extra sensitive to certain foods.

If you want to feed a canned food you could talk to your vet about a prescription food such as Hill's i/d. However, this would not be an inexpensive food.

Again, if he is crying for food and he is not overweight then I would increase his dry ration and that really should be ok!

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (9074 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9016 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (24437 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11796 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13762 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (25958 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10431 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (6027 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5680 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9871 views)