Treatment for kidney disease.

Breed: Siamese
My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids and anti biotics. It came on suddenly, she lost 1lb in a week. Despite her old age, the vet seems to think it was the ingestion of some toxin.

We visit her everyday and she seems happy and in good spirits. She's not eating too much on her own but did eat a little last night. They are force feeding her most of the time but besides that she seems in good spirits.

Now I am completely torn up, she's been my cat since I was 10, she's 14 years old and I'm 24 now. She's my baby and I'd hate to see her leave me.

I'm worried that as soon as they take her off the fluids her kidneys won't be able to filter the toxins and we'll have to put her to sleep.

We got her to the vet ASAP when we noticed her weight loss. And they are doin as much as they can.

I was wondering what you think the most likely outcome of this situation will be? Does she have a fighting chance? What will her life be like of she does come home?

Hi and thanks for your question. Kidney disease is unfortunately very common in cats as they get older. But, if your vet thinks that the kidney disease was toxin induced then this is actually good news because once she starts to recover then she really should do well.

Your question is one that really no one can answer though. I have seen things go both ways. The first concern is whether we can get Mindy back to a healthy state. If she is eating on her own now then this is good. If we can get her kidneys back to a healthy enough state where she is eating regularly on her own then this is excellent.

There are several possible outcomes. If this was a toxic problem then once the kidneys have recovered, there should be no further problems.

It's also possible that there is still some mild kidney disease still present. If this is the case then she may need some special food to help to support her kidneys. Cats with mild kidney disease can live for many months or even years with mild supportive care.

And then there are cases where there is too much damage to the kidneys. I have had some cases where cats do ok for a day or two and then go back downhill again.

It sounds like your vet is optimistic. I really hope everything works out ok!

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (12837 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8644 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9147 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9045 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17072 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (15873 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (9051 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8327 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6319 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18412 views)