Treatment for kidney disease.

Breed: Siamese
My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids and anti biotics. It came on suddenly, she lost 1lb in a week. Despite her old age, the vet seems to think it was the ingestion of some toxin.

We visit her everyday and she seems happy and in good spirits. She's not eating too much on her own but did eat a little last night. They are force feeding her most of the time but besides that she seems in good spirits.

Now I am completely torn up, she's been my cat since I was 10, she's 14 years old and I'm 24 now. She's my baby and I'd hate to see her leave me.

I'm worried that as soon as they take her off the fluids her kidneys won't be able to filter the toxins and we'll have to put her to sleep.

We got her to the vet ASAP when we noticed her weight loss. And they are doin as much as they can.

I was wondering what you think the most likely outcome of this situation will be? Does she have a fighting chance? What will her life be like of she does come home?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi and thanks for your question. Kidney disease is unfortunately very common in cats as they get older. But, if your vet thinks that the kidney disease was toxin induced then this is actually good news because once she starts to recover then she really should do well.

Your question is one that really no one can answer though. I have seen things go both ways. The first concern is whether we can get Mindy back to a healthy state. If she is eating on her own now then this is good. If we can get her kidneys back to a healthy enough state where she is eating regularly on her own then this is excellent.

There are several possible outcomes. If this was a toxic problem then once the kidneys have recovered, there should be no further problems.

It's also possible that there is still some mild kidney disease still present. If this is the case then she may need some special food to help to support her kidneys. Cats with mild kidney disease can live for many months or even years with mild supportive care.

And then there are cases where there is too much damage to the kidneys. I have had some cases where cats do ok for a day or two and then go back downhill again.

It sounds like your vet is optimistic. I really hope everything works out ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (32655 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (31912 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (2328 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (5633 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (12139 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (2925 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (16852 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (3157 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (9857 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (15248 views)