Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Treatment for kidney disease.

Species: Cat
Breed: Siamese
Age: 11-15 years
My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids and anti biotics. It came on suddenly, she lost 1lb in a week. Despite her old age, the vet seems to think it was the ingestion of some toxin.

We visit her everyday and she seems happy and in good spirits. She's not eating too much on her own but did eat a little last night. They are force feeding her most of the time but besides that she seems in good spirits.

Now I am completely torn up, she's been my cat since I was 10, she's 14 years old and I'm 24 now. She's my baby and I'd hate to see her leave me.

I'm worried that as soon as they take her off the fluids her kidneys won't be able to filter the toxins and we'll have to put her to sleep.

We got her to the vet ASAP when we noticed her weight loss. And they are doin as much as they can.

I was wondering what you think the most likely outcome of this situation will be? Does she have a fighting chance? What will her life be like of she does come home?



Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi and thanks for your question. Kidney disease is unfortunately very common in cats as they get older. But, if your vet thinks that the kidney disease was toxin induced then this is actually good news because once she starts to recover then she really should do well.

Your question is one that really no one can answer though. I have seen things go both ways. The first concern is whether we can get Mindy back to a healthy state. If she is eating on her own now then this is good. If we can get her kidneys back to a healthy enough state where she is eating regularly on her own then this is excellent.

There are several possible outcomes. If this was a toxic problem then once the kidneys have recovered, there should be no further problems.

It's also possible that there is still some mild kidney disease still present. If this is the case then she may need some special food to help to support her kidneys. Cats with mild kidney disease can live for many months or even years with mild supportive care.

And then there are cases where there is too much damage to the kidneys. I have had some cases where cats do ok for a day or two and then go back downhill again.

It sounds like your vet is optimistic. I really hope everything works out ok!

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (8867 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (17977 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (172232 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (22998 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (12707 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (19106 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (46929 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (9240 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (38108 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (14911 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.