Treatment for kidney disease.

Breed: Siamese
My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids and anti biotics. It came on suddenly, she lost 1lb in a week. Despite her old age, the vet seems to think it was the ingestion of some toxin.

We visit her everyday and she seems happy and in good spirits. She's not eating too much on her own but did eat a little last night. They are force feeding her most of the time but besides that she seems in good spirits.

Now I am completely torn up, she's been my cat since I was 10, she's 14 years old and I'm 24 now. She's my baby and I'd hate to see her leave me.

I'm worried that as soon as they take her off the fluids her kidneys won't be able to filter the toxins and we'll have to put her to sleep.

We got her to the vet ASAP when we noticed her weight loss. And they are doin as much as they can.

I was wondering what you think the most likely outcome of this situation will be? Does she have a fighting chance? What will her life be like of she does come home?

Hi and thanks for your question. Kidney disease is unfortunately very common in cats as they get older. But, if your vet thinks that the kidney disease was toxin induced then this is actually good news because once she starts to recover then she really should do well.

Your question is one that really no one can answer though. I have seen things go both ways. The first concern is whether we can get Mindy back to a healthy state. If she is eating on her own now then this is good. If we can get her kidneys back to a healthy enough state where she is eating regularly on her own then this is excellent.

There are several possible outcomes. If this was a toxic problem then once the kidneys have recovered, there should be no further problems.

It's also possible that there is still some mild kidney disease still present. If this is the case then she may need some special food to help to support her kidneys. Cats with mild kidney disease can live for many months or even years with mild supportive care.

And then there are cases where there is too much damage to the kidneys. I have had some cases where cats do ok for a day or two and then go back downhill again.

It sounds like your vet is optimistic. I really hope everything works out ok!

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (9683 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (13441 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (42179 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (62491 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (11351 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (50045 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (8982 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (18178 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (18295 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (19361 views)