Treatment for kidney disease.

Breed: Siamese
My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids and anti biotics. It came on suddenly, she lost 1lb in a week. Despite her old age, the vet seems to think it was the ingestion of some toxin.

We visit her everyday and she seems happy and in good spirits. She's not eating too much on her own but did eat a little last night. They are force feeding her most of the time but besides that she seems in good spirits.

Now I am completely torn up, she's been my cat since I was 10, she's 14 years old and I'm 24 now. She's my baby and I'd hate to see her leave me.

I'm worried that as soon as they take her off the fluids her kidneys won't be able to filter the toxins and we'll have to put her to sleep.

We got her to the vet ASAP when we noticed her weight loss. And they are doin as much as they can.

I was wondering what you think the most likely outcome of this situation will be? Does she have a fighting chance? What will her life be like of she does come home?

Hi and thanks for your question. Kidney disease is unfortunately very common in cats as they get older. But, if your vet thinks that the kidney disease was toxin induced then this is actually good news because once she starts to recover then she really should do well.

Your question is one that really no one can answer though. I have seen things go both ways. The first concern is whether we can get Mindy back to a healthy state. If she is eating on her own now then this is good. If we can get her kidneys back to a healthy enough state where she is eating regularly on her own then this is excellent.

There are several possible outcomes. If this was a toxic problem then once the kidneys have recovered, there should be no further problems.

It's also possible that there is still some mild kidney disease still present. If this is the case then she may need some special food to help to support her kidneys. Cats with mild kidney disease can live for many months or even years with mild supportive care.

And then there are cases where there is too much damage to the kidneys. I have had some cases where cats do ok for a day or two and then go back downhill again.

It sounds like your vet is optimistic. I really hope everything works out ok!

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (5537 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10169 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5741 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9658 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (26885 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (62886 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (83223 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (35190 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85722 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5614 views)