Not sure if first shots done.

Breed: Pomeranian
I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had his first shots, but they did not give me an records. I have tried to call and go to their house and still nothing. Should I just believe them about the shots or should I go to a vet and get shots for him?

This actually happens quite often. I will commonly see puppies who came with no papers, but the owners have said that they have had their first shots.

What I usually do is wait till 3 weeks after the first shot was supposedly given. (If you don't know when the first shot was given, then wait 3 weeks from when you got the puppy). Then, we do the second shot then.

If it turns out that the dog has actually not had any shots, there is no harm done other than the fact that he hasn't had protection against viruses up until this point.

However, if we vaccinate too soon (i.e. let's say he had a shot yesterday and we give another 2 days later) then the vaccine that we give will not be effective and could be potentially harmful.

Then, a month after we give our shot we will give another. After this point the dog should be good for vaccines for a year.

With all of this being said, there may be variations depending on your veterinarian's vaccine schedule. Ultimately, the best bet is to contact your vet for their advice.

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11505 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (12239 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (29337 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (9373 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (13421 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5586 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6168 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (13162 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (7116 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6209 views)