Not sure if first shots done.

Breed: Pomeranian
I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had his first shots, but they did not give me an records. I have tried to call and go to their house and still nothing. Should I just believe them about the shots or should I go to a vet and get shots for him?

This actually happens quite often. I will commonly see puppies who came with no papers, but the owners have said that they have had their first shots.

What I usually do is wait till 3 weeks after the first shot was supposedly given. (If you don't know when the first shot was given, then wait 3 weeks from when you got the puppy). Then, we do the second shot then.

If it turns out that the dog has actually not had any shots, there is no harm done other than the fact that he hasn't had protection against viruses up until this point.

However, if we vaccinate too soon (i.e. let's say he had a shot yesterday and we give another 2 days later) then the vaccine that we give will not be effective and could be potentially harmful.

Then, a month after we give our shot we will give another. After this point the dog should be good for vaccines for a year.

With all of this being said, there may be variations depending on your veterinarian's vaccine schedule. Ultimately, the best bet is to contact your vet for their advice.

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (8123 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12021 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15911 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (11121 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (32218 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (28466 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (8277 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (11310 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (12341 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11448 views)