Not sure if first shots done.

Breed: Pomeranian
I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had his first shots, but they did not give me an records. I have tried to call and go to their house and still nothing. Should I just believe them about the shots or should I go to a vet and get shots for him?

This actually happens quite often. I will commonly see puppies who came with no papers, but the owners have said that they have had their first shots.

What I usually do is wait till 3 weeks after the first shot was supposedly given. (If you don't know when the first shot was given, then wait 3 weeks from when you got the puppy). Then, we do the second shot then.

If it turns out that the dog has actually not had any shots, there is no harm done other than the fact that he hasn't had protection against viruses up until this point.

However, if we vaccinate too soon (i.e. let's say he had a shot yesterday and we give another 2 days later) then the vaccine that we give will not be effective and could be potentially harmful.

Then, a month after we give our shot we will give another. After this point the dog should be good for vaccines for a year.

With all of this being said, there may be variations depending on your veterinarian's vaccine schedule. Ultimately, the best bet is to contact your vet for their advice.

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11446 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (7177 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (86170 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (23364 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (32099 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14602 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10865 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8191 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4249 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (32167 views)