Itchy coat.

Breed: mutt
my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched and doesnt have ticks. her eyes also seem irritated in the inner corners. i was told this might be an allergy but i dont know what to do about it. we have has some sahara desert dust in the area could this b the reason and what should i do to help her.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

What you are describing certainly sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting. Most likely, if it is an allergy though it will be cleared up by the time you receive this email.

If it is still bothering her though then there is likely something else going on. One possibility is a skin infection. If this is the case then she will need antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

I have had a few dogs with severe allergic reactions that have lasted quite a while. These dogs sometimes improve with Benadryl (you would need to ask your vet for the correct dose for your dog), but some need oral steroids.

I hope all is well!

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15550 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (23766 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (34449 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7764 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8950 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4562 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (6102 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (265412 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8718 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (12190 views)