Itchy coat.

Breed: mutt
my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched and doesnt have ticks. her eyes also seem irritated in the inner corners. i was told this might be an allergy but i dont know what to do about it. we have has some sahara desert dust in the area could this b the reason and what should i do to help her.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

What you are describing certainly sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting. Most likely, if it is an allergy though it will be cleared up by the time you receive this email.

If it is still bothering her though then there is likely something else going on. One possibility is a skin infection. If this is the case then she will need antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

I have had a few dogs with severe allergic reactions that have lasted quite a while. These dogs sometimes improve with Benadryl (you would need to ask your vet for the correct dose for your dog), but some need oral steroids.

I hope all is well!

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4554 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15841 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6267 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (13601 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6732 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11815 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (11054 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (53293 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19342 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23378 views)