Itchy coat.

Breed: mutt
my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched and doesnt have ticks. her eyes also seem irritated in the inner corners. i was told this might be an allergy but i dont know what to do about it. we have has some sahara desert dust in the area could this b the reason and what should i do to help her.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

What you are describing certainly sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting. Most likely, if it is an allergy though it will be cleared up by the time you receive this email.

If it is still bothering her though then there is likely something else going on. One possibility is a skin infection. If this is the case then she will need antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

I have had a few dogs with severe allergic reactions that have lasted quite a while. These dogs sometimes improve with Benadryl (you would need to ask your vet for the correct dose for your dog), but some need oral steroids.

I hope all is well!

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (7769 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (16873 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (15370 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (13908 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (20471 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6387 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (9628 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7965 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (8366 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (8192 views)