Puppy ate vomit.

Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (15124 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (16752 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6314 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6494 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (9765 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7262 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32039 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (10636 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19219 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (7292 views)