Puppy ate vomit.

Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7577 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40525 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16013 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7866 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6439 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (49735 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11432 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (88436 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9427 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14119 views)