Puppy ate vomit.

Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9026 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (9591 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6987 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (44339 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7585 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9660 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11702 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (21230 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9109 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8139 views)