Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Puppy ate vomit.

Species: Dog
Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
Age: 6-12 months
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.




Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (21307 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15378 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11695 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5771 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (17189 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (18726 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (7113 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (18493 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8286 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8795 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.