Puppy ate vomit.

Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (13868 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (9119 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (14612 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (46504 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (9641 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (33214 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8137 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9883 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4123 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (7053 views)