Puppy ate vomit.

Breed: Shitzu/jack Russell/
my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going through morning sickness so we gave her a bucket to throw up in well our dog got into the bucket and ate it all and since has been crying whimpering and acting very sluggish an is very warm as if it as a fever and took her temperature and it was 100.5 what can i do to help at home

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs will eat really gross things. I suppose instead of smelling vomit, Dexter smelled the ingredients inside the vomit.

The good news is that 100.5 is not actually a fever for dogs. Normal temperature for a dog is between 100 and 102 F.

If Dexter has vomited once or twice I wouldn't be too worried. However if the vomiting keeps happening and there is obvious abdominal pain then this could mean pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is quite serious and should be treated by a vet which may mean seeing an emergency vet as this is a holiday.

There isn't much in the way of medicine that I would recommend at home but it is probably a good idea to give Dexter no food for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are ok. If Dexter is vomiting up the water then I would have him seen by a vet.

Be sure to not let him have anything other than his regular food until he has been back to normal for a couple of days.

There are other things that can cause a puppy to vomit such as parvo virus (if he is not properly vaccinated, ingestion of a toy, parasites and other things. If he is just throwing up because of the grossness of eating vomit then it should be very temporary. If it continues though, don't wait too long before taking him in as puppies don't have many reserves to fight dehydration.

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (13168 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9267 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11912 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9203 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (98019 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (63057 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7928 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12574 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13094 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6946 views)