Pregnancy symptoms in dogs.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
Hi Dr Marie
My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This will be her first litter. Now that she is back home with me, she is enjoying herself by getting comfy on the bed and sofa.
My question is...is it safe for her to be jumping on/off of the furniture or could this cause a "miscarriage" of a potential pregnancy? I should add that she was bred during her last cycle but did not produce a litter.
Additionally, what are the early signs that I should be watching for to let me know if she is indeed pregnant this time...I do plan to ultrasound when the time is right.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Amy Owen

Hi Amy and thanks for a great question. I don't usually advise strict rest during a dog's pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend doing regular super strenuous activity like long agility trials or marathon running, but jumping on or off of the furniture is not going to cause any harm to developing babies.

When a dog is pregnant, at first there really aren't a lot of external signs. If you are having an ultrasound done, usually any time after 28 days of pregnancy will be sufficient in order for the vet to be able to see puppies. After about 35 days, you may notice that mom is a little more hungry. I usually recommend feeding puppy food from about 30 days of pregnancy on.

Some dogs will go through a short period of morning sickness during their pregnancy at about the 3 week mark. She may be off of her food for a few days.

Around day 45 (or sometimes a little later) you will be noticing her mammary glands getting a little larger and filling up with milk.

However, some dogs can go through a false pregnancy where they get all of the above symptoms and are not pregnant. The ultrasound should be an accurate tool to determine if she's pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (4363 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (9823 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11037 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (110745 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (44224 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (74679 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (13759 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (7425 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (11083 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (15550 views)