Pregnancy symptoms in dogs.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
Hi Dr Marie
My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This will be her first litter. Now that she is back home with me, she is enjoying herself by getting comfy on the bed and sofa.
My question is...is it safe for her to be jumping on/off of the furniture or could this cause a "miscarriage" of a potential pregnancy? I should add that she was bred during her last cycle but did not produce a litter.
Additionally, what are the early signs that I should be watching for to let me know if she is indeed pregnant this time...I do plan to ultrasound when the time is right.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Amy Owen

Hi Amy and thanks for a great question. I don't usually advise strict rest during a dog's pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend doing regular super strenuous activity like long agility trials or marathon running, but jumping on or off of the furniture is not going to cause any harm to developing babies.

When a dog is pregnant, at first there really aren't a lot of external signs. If you are having an ultrasound done, usually any time after 28 days of pregnancy will be sufficient in order for the vet to be able to see puppies. After about 35 days, you may notice that mom is a little more hungry. I usually recommend feeding puppy food from about 30 days of pregnancy on.

Some dogs will go through a short period of morning sickness during their pregnancy at about the 3 week mark. She may be off of her food for a few days.

Around day 45 (or sometimes a little later) you will be noticing her mammary glands getting a little larger and filling up with milk.

However, some dogs can go through a false pregnancy where they get all of the above symptoms and are not pregnant. The ultrasound should be an accurate tool to determine if she's pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (5481 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8020 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (14170 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (8499 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (5243 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (3684 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9007 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (10221 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (15748 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (5673 views)