Pregnancy symptoms in dogs.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
Hi Dr Marie
My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This will be her first litter. Now that she is back home with me, she is enjoying herself by getting comfy on the bed and sofa.
My question is...is it safe for her to be jumping on/off of the furniture or could this cause a "miscarriage" of a potential pregnancy? I should add that she was bred during her last cycle but did not produce a litter.
Additionally, what are the early signs that I should be watching for to let me know if she is indeed pregnant this time...I do plan to ultrasound when the time is right.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Amy Owen

Hi Amy and thanks for a great question. I don't usually advise strict rest during a dog's pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend doing regular super strenuous activity like long agility trials or marathon running, but jumping on or off of the furniture is not going to cause any harm to developing babies.

When a dog is pregnant, at first there really aren't a lot of external signs. If you are having an ultrasound done, usually any time after 28 days of pregnancy will be sufficient in order for the vet to be able to see puppies. After about 35 days, you may notice that mom is a little more hungry. I usually recommend feeding puppy food from about 30 days of pregnancy on.

Some dogs will go through a short period of morning sickness during their pregnancy at about the 3 week mark. She may be off of her food for a few days.

Around day 45 (or sometimes a little later) you will be noticing her mammary glands getting a little larger and filling up with milk.

However, some dogs can go through a false pregnancy where they get all of the above symptoms and are not pregnant. The ultrasound should be an accurate tool to determine if she's pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (13972 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (7079 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9672 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (32684 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5582 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (7394 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19883 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8640 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (22019 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (9235 views)