Pregnancy symptoms in dogs.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
Hi Dr Marie
My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This will be her first litter. Now that she is back home with me, she is enjoying herself by getting comfy on the bed and sofa.
My question is...is it safe for her to be jumping on/off of the furniture or could this cause a "miscarriage" of a potential pregnancy? I should add that she was bred during her last cycle but did not produce a litter.
Additionally, what are the early signs that I should be watching for to let me know if she is indeed pregnant this time...I do plan to ultrasound when the time is right.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Amy Owen

Hi Amy and thanks for a great question. I don't usually advise strict rest during a dog's pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend doing regular super strenuous activity like long agility trials or marathon running, but jumping on or off of the furniture is not going to cause any harm to developing babies.

When a dog is pregnant, at first there really aren't a lot of external signs. If you are having an ultrasound done, usually any time after 28 days of pregnancy will be sufficient in order for the vet to be able to see puppies. After about 35 days, you may notice that mom is a little more hungry. I usually recommend feeding puppy food from about 30 days of pregnancy on.

Some dogs will go through a short period of morning sickness during their pregnancy at about the 3 week mark. She may be off of her food for a few days.

Around day 45 (or sometimes a little later) you will be noticing her mammary glands getting a little larger and filling up with milk.

However, some dogs can go through a false pregnancy where they get all of the above symptoms and are not pregnant. The ultrasound should be an accurate tool to determine if she's pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (8826 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (44557 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (40695 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (20454 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8511 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (104141 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11190 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (22819 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4177 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (9521 views)