Pregnancy symptoms in dogs.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
Hi Dr Marie
My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This will be her first litter. Now that she is back home with me, she is enjoying herself by getting comfy on the bed and sofa.
My question is...is it safe for her to be jumping on/off of the furniture or could this cause a "miscarriage" of a potential pregnancy? I should add that she was bred during her last cycle but did not produce a litter.
Additionally, what are the early signs that I should be watching for to let me know if she is indeed pregnant this time...I do plan to ultrasound when the time is right.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Amy Owen

Hi Amy and thanks for a great question. I don't usually advise strict rest during a dog's pregnancy. I wouldn't recommend doing regular super strenuous activity like long agility trials or marathon running, but jumping on or off of the furniture is not going to cause any harm to developing babies.

When a dog is pregnant, at first there really aren't a lot of external signs. If you are having an ultrasound done, usually any time after 28 days of pregnancy will be sufficient in order for the vet to be able to see puppies. After about 35 days, you may notice that mom is a little more hungry. I usually recommend feeding puppy food from about 30 days of pregnancy on.

Some dogs will go through a short period of morning sickness during their pregnancy at about the 3 week mark. She may be off of her food for a few days.

Around day 45 (or sometimes a little later) you will be noticing her mammary glands getting a little larger and filling up with milk.

However, some dogs can go through a false pregnancy where they get all of the above symptoms and are not pregnant. The ultrasound should be an accurate tool to determine if she's pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (13567 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (22250 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (10379 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (27277 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (24912 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (6142 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (7680 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (5804 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (19944 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4004 views)