Ear margin dermatosis.

Breed: Beagle

I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty spots on the edges of his ears for some years now. They are getting larger with time. He didn't mind me picking at them but as they grow, his willingness for me to pick at them is lessened.

I've been to the vet about it more than once. She says it's really nothing but I can't get them to tell me what it is.

He's prone to yeast infection in the ears, which I watch and wash as needed. I also have something from the vet to treat that because its flared up as short as two days between checks in the summer. I don't think this is related, and online research of my own always tends towards mites or bugs which are also not present.

I came across this article which seems to describe the symtoms very accurately:
http://www.uskbtc.com/article.php/55

They called it Scurff.

I ordered betadyne solution and have applied it carefully to the area 4 times in two weeks. No change.

Am I barking up the wrong tree LOL???

Here's some pictures

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0277.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0278.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0279.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0280.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0281.JPG

You've taken some great pictures of Cody's ear. I've included two of them here:

ear margin dermatosis

rough spots on dog's ear margin

I have seen a number of dogs with ear margins that look like that. I haven't heard of the term "scurf" so I looked it up and really can't find a reference to it being called that. It sounds like this term may be one particular vet's way of describing the problem.

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but what I'm seeing in the pictures really looks like what I would call "ear margin dermatosis". However, that doesn't tell us what the cause is or exactly how to treat it!

The first thing that I will recommend when I see ears like this is to do some tests to look for things like sarcoptic mange or ringworm. However, usually these tests come up negative. Some dogs with this condition will have hypothyroidism, so it may be worthwhile to have your vet test for this. However, if he's had the problem for several years then this is unlikely as hypothyroidism is usually a condition affecting middle to older aged dogs.

Usually we don't end up finding a cause. There are several things that we can try when treating these. My new favorite treatment is something called Kerasolv ointment. You can usually buy it over the counter at the pharmacy. It helps to soften up the areas quite nicely. Another product (that I believe is prescription and would need to be obtained by your vet) is called Douxo Seborrhea spot on. I haven't used it in any of my patients, but many vets swear by it. The other thing that sometimes works is a combo of oral antibiotics combined with a steroid cream.

If the spots are not bothersome, then you may need to do nothing. If they seem like they are really irritating then you may want to consider having your vet biopsy them to see if they are something more serious. There is an autoimmune condition called vasculitis that can produce areas that look like this, but it really is not common.

I hope that helps!

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14488 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (12085 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (39122 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (10175 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9912 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (13187 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (87137 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (19871 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10793 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (16667 views)