Ear margin dermatosis.

Breed: Beagle

I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty spots on the edges of his ears for some years now. They are getting larger with time. He didn't mind me picking at them but as they grow, his willingness for me to pick at them is lessened.

I've been to the vet about it more than once. She says it's really nothing but I can't get them to tell me what it is.

He's prone to yeast infection in the ears, which I watch and wash as needed. I also have something from the vet to treat that because its flared up as short as two days between checks in the summer. I don't think this is related, and online research of my own always tends towards mites or bugs which are also not present.

I came across this article which seems to describe the symtoms very accurately:
http://www.uskbtc.com/article.php/55

They called it Scurff.

I ordered betadyne solution and have applied it carefully to the area 4 times in two weeks. No change.

Am I barking up the wrong tree LOL???

Here's some pictures

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0277.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0278.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0279.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0280.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0281.JPG

You've taken some great pictures of Cody's ear. I've included two of them here:

ear margin dermatosis

rough spots on dog's ear margin

I have seen a number of dogs with ear margins that look like that. I haven't heard of the term "scurf" so I looked it up and really can't find a reference to it being called that. It sounds like this term may be one particular vet's way of describing the problem.

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but what I'm seeing in the pictures really looks like what I would call "ear margin dermatosis". However, that doesn't tell us what the cause is or exactly how to treat it!

The first thing that I will recommend when I see ears like this is to do some tests to look for things like sarcoptic mange or ringworm. However, usually these tests come up negative. Some dogs with this condition will have hypothyroidism, so it may be worthwhile to have your vet test for this. However, if he's had the problem for several years then this is unlikely as hypothyroidism is usually a condition affecting middle to older aged dogs.

Usually we don't end up finding a cause. There are several things that we can try when treating these. My new favorite treatment is something called Kerasolv ointment. You can usually buy it over the counter at the pharmacy. It helps to soften up the areas quite nicely. Another product (that I believe is prescription and would need to be obtained by your vet) is called Douxo Seborrhea spot on. I haven't used it in any of my patients, but many vets swear by it. The other thing that sometimes works is a combo of oral antibiotics combined with a steroid cream.

If the spots are not bothersome, then you may need to do nothing. If they seem like they are really irritating then you may want to consider having your vet biopsy them to see if they are something more serious. There is an autoimmune condition called vasculitis that can produce areas that look like this, but it really is not common.

I hope that helps!

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14344 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14886 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (25482 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (232977 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33938 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (10069 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (11391 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (9064 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5593 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9649 views)