Ear margin dermatosis.

Breed: Beagle

I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty spots on the edges of his ears for some years now. They are getting larger with time. He didn't mind me picking at them but as they grow, his willingness for me to pick at them is lessened.

I've been to the vet about it more than once. She says it's really nothing but I can't get them to tell me what it is.

He's prone to yeast infection in the ears, which I watch and wash as needed. I also have something from the vet to treat that because its flared up as short as two days between checks in the summer. I don't think this is related, and online research of my own always tends towards mites or bugs which are also not present.

I came across this article which seems to describe the symtoms very accurately:
http://www.uskbtc.com/article.php/55

They called it Scurff.

I ordered betadyne solution and have applied it carefully to the area 4 times in two weeks. No change.

Am I barking up the wrong tree LOL???

Here's some pictures

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0277.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0278.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0279.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0280.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526349/cody/IMG_0281.JPG

You've taken some great pictures of Cody's ear. I've included two of them here:

ear margin dermatosis

rough spots on dog's ear margin

I have seen a number of dogs with ear margins that look like that. I haven't heard of the term "scurf" so I looked it up and really can't find a reference to it being called that. It sounds like this term may be one particular vet's way of describing the problem.

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but what I'm seeing in the pictures really looks like what I would call "ear margin dermatosis". However, that doesn't tell us what the cause is or exactly how to treat it!

The first thing that I will recommend when I see ears like this is to do some tests to look for things like sarcoptic mange or ringworm. However, usually these tests come up negative. Some dogs with this condition will have hypothyroidism, so it may be worthwhile to have your vet test for this. However, if he's had the problem for several years then this is unlikely as hypothyroidism is usually a condition affecting middle to older aged dogs.

Usually we don't end up finding a cause. There are several things that we can try when treating these. My new favorite treatment is something called Kerasolv ointment. You can usually buy it over the counter at the pharmacy. It helps to soften up the areas quite nicely. Another product (that I believe is prescription and would need to be obtained by your vet) is called Douxo Seborrhea spot on. I haven't used it in any of my patients, but many vets swear by it. The other thing that sometimes works is a combo of oral antibiotics combined with a steroid cream.

If the spots are not bothersome, then you may need to do nothing. If they seem like they are really irritating then you may want to consider having your vet biopsy them to see if they are something more serious. There is an autoimmune condition called vasculitis that can produce areas that look like this, but it really is not common.

I hope that helps!

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (12818 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (14303 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (19258 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (9652 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (10217 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (12101 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (29476 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (21659 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (7004 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (16491 views)