Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory.

Breed: staff/lab mix
What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone shots?

Good question!

Neither drug, when used properly should be harmful to the liver. But, both are processed through the liver.

If you are talking about treating an animal for arthritis, then non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx are the best choice.

There are a few things that I will use long acting steroid shots for such as asthma in cats or some cat skin conditions, but not all of the time. I rarely give a long acting steroid injection to a dog.

I hope that answers your question!

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13153 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (18438 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9696 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9058 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18915 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (19827 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (5320 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8144 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13168 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17361 views)