Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory.

Breed: staff/lab mix
What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone shots?

Good question!

Neither drug, when used properly should be harmful to the liver. But, both are processed through the liver.

If you are talking about treating an animal for arthritis, then non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx are the best choice.

There are a few things that I will use long acting steroid shots for such as asthma in cats or some cat skin conditions, but not all of the time. I rarely give a long acting steroid injection to a dog.

I hope that answers your question!

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19277 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4821 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4656 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (115413 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12755 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7852 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5765 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16447 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (52928 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (232058 views)