Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory.

Breed: staff/lab mix
What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone shots?

Good question!

Neither drug, when used properly should be harmful to the liver. But, both are processed through the liver.

If you are talking about treating an animal for arthritis, then non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx are the best choice.

There are a few things that I will use long acting steroid shots for such as asthma in cats or some cat skin conditions, but not all of the time. I rarely give a long acting steroid injection to a dog.

I hope that answers your question!

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (6574 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (11008 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (51701 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (11199 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (21064 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (12020 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (11830 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (11686 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (15024 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (12777 views)