Dog with ear problem.

Breed: lab
Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a vet for a week at least
The symptoms areHe had brown debri, I got it outbut he scrathching the outer ear which got very red at the upper right cornor.
Overnight he developed an ear flap hematoma. I bought a comfy eelizabetah collar and put it on. Overnight the hematoma went down but he was tilting his head, the bd ear side..
I wiped the ear and saw alitle yellow and alittle blood. Then later in the day he was fine! He was eating playing not tilting his head, I thought he was cured. He went to sleep, no ear shaking all night but woke up with a sore ear andd again a head tilt, what can I do at home??? Is a powder helpfulfrom the pet store? an aspirn?

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm sorry to hear that he is having problems like this.

Most likely you haven't caused damage with a q-tip. A Q-tip wouldn't cause a hematoma, but it could cause a head tilt though. We don't really know what causes an aural hematoma.

This really is a case that needs veterinary care. If we can catch things early it's possible that your dog could be treated with some oral steroids (which are very inexpensive) as well as maybe some medication in the ear. But, if this goes on for a while it's possible that Cyde could need surgery on the ear.

Any sort of ear cleaner or powder that you can get from the pet store is not going to be very helpful. And aspirin is definitely not a good idea. Aspirin can cause dogs to bleed more and it could actually make a hematoma much worse as a hematoma is a collection of blood between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

If finances are a concern, perhaps one of the links on this page would help.

If he will allow it, using a cold compress (such as frozen peas wrapped in a towel) on the swollen part of his ear (i.e. the ear flap) may help reduce the swelling temporarily.

If he does actually have damage to his ear drum as well as a hematoma then getting him on medication right away will really help.

I wish I could give you better advice on what you could do at home, but I can't stress enough how important it is to get your boy to a vet as soon as possible. I really hope he is ok!

I am just curious why he seemed all better playing fetch, eating for seveal hours..
It was a long q tip and I am so worried about the ear drum

Since he did get better and then started to tilt his head again is it more likeky a hematoma that recuured?

This is a tough question to answer! A hematoma doesn't usually get better and then worse like this in such a short time period. And, if you had done damage to his ear drum then he really shouldn't have gotten better at all as this type of damage usually lasts for many weeks.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as to why he seemed to improve.

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4496 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9839 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (14571 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (25030 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11028 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13875 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36081 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7154 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (31896 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10460 views)