Dog with ear problem.

Breed: lab
Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a vet for a week at least
The symptoms areHe had brown debri, I got it outbut he scrathching the outer ear which got very red at the upper right cornor.
Overnight he developed an ear flap hematoma. I bought a comfy eelizabetah collar and put it on. Overnight the hematoma went down but he was tilting his head, the bd ear side..
I wiped the ear and saw alitle yellow and alittle blood. Then later in the day he was fine! He was eating playing not tilting his head, I thought he was cured. He went to sleep, no ear shaking all night but woke up with a sore ear andd again a head tilt, what can I do at home??? Is a powder helpfulfrom the pet store? an aspirn?

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm sorry to hear that he is having problems like this.

Most likely you haven't caused damage with a q-tip. A Q-tip wouldn't cause a hematoma, but it could cause a head tilt though. We don't really know what causes an aural hematoma.

This really is a case that needs veterinary care. If we can catch things early it's possible that your dog could be treated with some oral steroids (which are very inexpensive) as well as maybe some medication in the ear. But, if this goes on for a while it's possible that Cyde could need surgery on the ear.

Any sort of ear cleaner or powder that you can get from the pet store is not going to be very helpful. And aspirin is definitely not a good idea. Aspirin can cause dogs to bleed more and it could actually make a hematoma much worse as a hematoma is a collection of blood between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

If finances are a concern, perhaps one of the links on this page would help.

If he will allow it, using a cold compress (such as frozen peas wrapped in a towel) on the swollen part of his ear (i.e. the ear flap) may help reduce the swelling temporarily.

If he does actually have damage to his ear drum as well as a hematoma then getting him on medication right away will really help.

I wish I could give you better advice on what you could do at home, but I can't stress enough how important it is to get your boy to a vet as soon as possible. I really hope he is ok!

I am just curious why he seemed all better playing fetch, eating for seveal hours..
It was a long q tip and I am so worried about the ear drum

Since he did get better and then started to tilt his head again is it more likeky a hematoma that recuured?

This is a tough question to answer! A hematoma doesn't usually get better and then worse like this in such a short time period. And, if you had done damage to his ear drum then he really shouldn't have gotten better at all as this type of damage usually lasts for many weeks.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as to why he seemed to improve.

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (18930 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (11681 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (7894 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (13211 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (78093 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (15431 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (16319 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (6777 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9215 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (15963 views)