Dog with ear problem.

Breed: lab
Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a vet for a week at least
The symptoms areHe had brown debri, I got it outbut he scrathching the outer ear which got very red at the upper right cornor.
Overnight he developed an ear flap hematoma. I bought a comfy eelizabetah collar and put it on. Overnight the hematoma went down but he was tilting his head, the bd ear side..
I wiped the ear and saw alitle yellow and alittle blood. Then later in the day he was fine! He was eating playing not tilting his head, I thought he was cured. He went to sleep, no ear shaking all night but woke up with a sore ear andd again a head tilt, what can I do at home??? Is a powder helpfulfrom the pet store? an aspirn?

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm sorry to hear that he is having problems like this.

Most likely you haven't caused damage with a q-tip. A Q-tip wouldn't cause a hematoma, but it could cause a head tilt though. We don't really know what causes an aural hematoma.

This really is a case that needs veterinary care. If we can catch things early it's possible that your dog could be treated with some oral steroids (which are very inexpensive) as well as maybe some medication in the ear. But, if this goes on for a while it's possible that Cyde could need surgery on the ear.

Any sort of ear cleaner or powder that you can get from the pet store is not going to be very helpful. And aspirin is definitely not a good idea. Aspirin can cause dogs to bleed more and it could actually make a hematoma much worse as a hematoma is a collection of blood between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

If finances are a concern, perhaps one of the links on this page would help.

If he will allow it, using a cold compress (such as frozen peas wrapped in a towel) on the swollen part of his ear (i.e. the ear flap) may help reduce the swelling temporarily.

If he does actually have damage to his ear drum as well as a hematoma then getting him on medication right away will really help.

I wish I could give you better advice on what you could do at home, but I can't stress enough how important it is to get your boy to a vet as soon as possible. I really hope he is ok!

I am just curious why he seemed all better playing fetch, eating for seveal hours..
It was a long q tip and I am so worried about the ear drum

Since he did get better and then started to tilt his head again is it more likeky a hematoma that recuured?

This is a tough question to answer! A hematoma doesn't usually get better and then worse like this in such a short time period. And, if you had done damage to his ear drum then he really shouldn't have gotten better at all as this type of damage usually lasts for many weeks.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as to why he seemed to improve.

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (70570 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7909 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (12020 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (33205 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9325 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (14450 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7874 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (20044 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (16119 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (15429 views)