Papilloma Virus.

Breed: English Springer Spa
My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his tongue at the beginning of September. The ones on his lip, which were quite large, were removed surgically at the end of September when he was neutered. The vet did not want to remove the ones on his tongue surgically. He completed a ten day dose of azithromyacin on October 15. The warts appear to be shrinking and turning a beige/brown. When should the warts disappear? Is he still contagious after they disappear? If so, for how long? Should I throw out or at least wash any toys that he had in his mouth while he had the warts? I don't want him to infect any other puppies. Is it true that he can get these warts again when is older and gets rundown?

Thanks for your question. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do in a situation like this.

I have found that for most dogs, a 10 day course of azithromycin completely clears up the warts. However, I recently had a dog that was similar to Teskey in that the warts didn't clear up till about a week after the antibiotics were done.

(By the way, just for interests' sake, if you were wondering why azithromycin works for papilloma virus, the thought is that the virus needs a particular type of bacteria in order to thrive. When the antibiotic kills the bacteria then the virus can't function properly and the body is able to take care of the warts.)

What you are describing with the discoloration and shrinking is exactly how they go away. Sometimes they go away so quickly that you don't notice that phase. However, I have had some cases where they do exactly what you have described.

I consider these dogs contagious as long as they still have warts. Once they are totally gone then he is no longer contagious. I wouldn't worry about throwing out his toys. The virus is spread in wet saliva. Once it has dried on a toy it really shouldn't be infective.

Hope all is better soon!

Thanks for this. Teskey stopped taking the antiobiotic ten days ago and he still has the worts. We were away this weekend and it looks like he may even have some new ones. They are white, not brown. Can he take another round of antibiotics?

Kathy

One of the problems with using azithromycin for papilloma warts is that it's experimental so we don't know what to expect. In my experience one course of treatment almost always works. Your vet may decide to try another course as there is likely no harm in doing so.

Very frustrating!

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13899 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11934 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10645 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (21615 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (17316 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10463 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9389 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (68704 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (14710 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25660 views)