Papilloma Virus.

Breed: English Springer Spa
My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his tongue at the beginning of September. The ones on his lip, which were quite large, were removed surgically at the end of September when he was neutered. The vet did not want to remove the ones on his tongue surgically. He completed a ten day dose of azithromyacin on October 15. The warts appear to be shrinking and turning a beige/brown. When should the warts disappear? Is he still contagious after they disappear? If so, for how long? Should I throw out or at least wash any toys that he had in his mouth while he had the warts? I don't want him to infect any other puppies. Is it true that he can get these warts again when is older and gets rundown?

Thanks for your question. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do in a situation like this.

I have found that for most dogs, a 10 day course of azithromycin completely clears up the warts. However, I recently had a dog that was similar to Teskey in that the warts didn't clear up till about a week after the antibiotics were done.

(By the way, just for interests' sake, if you were wondering why azithromycin works for papilloma virus, the thought is that the virus needs a particular type of bacteria in order to thrive. When the antibiotic kills the bacteria then the virus can't function properly and the body is able to take care of the warts.)

What you are describing with the discoloration and shrinking is exactly how they go away. Sometimes they go away so quickly that you don't notice that phase. However, I have had some cases where they do exactly what you have described.

I consider these dogs contagious as long as they still have warts. Once they are totally gone then he is no longer contagious. I wouldn't worry about throwing out his toys. The virus is spread in wet saliva. Once it has dried on a toy it really shouldn't be infective.

Hope all is better soon!

Thanks for this. Teskey stopped taking the antiobiotic ten days ago and he still has the worts. We were away this weekend and it looks like he may even have some new ones. They are white, not brown. Can he take another round of antibiotics?

Kathy

One of the problems with using azithromycin for papilloma warts is that it's experimental so we don't know what to expect. In my experience one course of treatment almost always works. Your vet may decide to try another course as there is likely no harm in doing so.

Very frustrating!

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26167 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (4903 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (15795 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4802 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5062 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (16278 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9395 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16245 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (22523 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (113736 views)