Papilloma Virus.

Breed: English Springer Spa
My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his tongue at the beginning of September. The ones on his lip, which were quite large, were removed surgically at the end of September when he was neutered. The vet did not want to remove the ones on his tongue surgically. He completed a ten day dose of azithromyacin on October 15. The warts appear to be shrinking and turning a beige/brown. When should the warts disappear? Is he still contagious after they disappear? If so, for how long? Should I throw out or at least wash any toys that he had in his mouth while he had the warts? I don't want him to infect any other puppies. Is it true that he can get these warts again when is older and gets rundown?

Thanks for your question. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do in a situation like this.

I have found that for most dogs, a 10 day course of azithromycin completely clears up the warts. However, I recently had a dog that was similar to Teskey in that the warts didn't clear up till about a week after the antibiotics were done.

(By the way, just for interests' sake, if you were wondering why azithromycin works for papilloma virus, the thought is that the virus needs a particular type of bacteria in order to thrive. When the antibiotic kills the bacteria then the virus can't function properly and the body is able to take care of the warts.)

What you are describing with the discoloration and shrinking is exactly how they go away. Sometimes they go away so quickly that you don't notice that phase. However, I have had some cases where they do exactly what you have described.

I consider these dogs contagious as long as they still have warts. Once they are totally gone then he is no longer contagious. I wouldn't worry about throwing out his toys. The virus is spread in wet saliva. Once it has dried on a toy it really shouldn't be infective.

Hope all is better soon!

Thanks for this. Teskey stopped taking the antiobiotic ten days ago and he still has the worts. We were away this weekend and it looks like he may even have some new ones. They are white, not brown. Can he take another round of antibiotics?

Kathy

One of the problems with using azithromycin for papilloma warts is that it's experimental so we don't know what to expect. In my experience one course of treatment almost always works. Your vet may decide to try another course as there is likely no harm in doing so.

Very frustrating!

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5237 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24435 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8433 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29675 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (11284 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20783 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21455 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7669 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8644 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9265 views)