Muscle tremors and distemper.

Breed: mutt, street dog
I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She was diagnosed with distemper. She has nervous spasms/twitches so they put her on epilon and nutritional supplements. She is growing and getting stronger and at first the twitching slowed down, now it back just as strong and she is crying/whimpering a lot. She eats like crazy and pees and poops just fine. Any thoughts? Thanks, Deb

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Ruby was diagnosed with distemper. That is encouraging that she is improving, however.

Unfortunately, when a dog recovers from distemper and still has tremors, then there is often not much that can be done. It is such a nasty disease. :(

I have done some research for you and have found two things that vets will try using in order to help with the tremors. However, most of the reports say that these drugs usually do not work. The first medication would be to use a drug called procinamide which is usually a medication used to strengthen the heart. There is a thought that it can help to reduce muscle tremors in distemper, but there is no actual evidence to prove that it works.

The second medication is an anti-seizure medication called phenobarbital. I found one case where phenobarb was helpful for a dog with distemper tremors. But, the same vet who discussed this case also had 14 other dogs who did not respond well.

Both of these are prescription medications you would need to get from your vet.

I wish I had more I could offer you!

Thanks for doing the research. I am actually more concerned about the amount of crying. There are not really any great dog vets where I am so that is why I am writing you. I have a nonprofit to help the street dog population here in Dharamsala India .

Anyway, why would she be crying more if she is getting healthier? Could she be relapsing?

In my area, fortunately we don't see much distemper at all so I do not have first hand experience for you.

From what I understand though distemper can be very painful.

I've done a little more research for you on veterinary information network (VIN) which is a place where tens of thousands of vets around the world discuss their cases.

I just found one reference from a vet who has had a lot of experience treating distemper and she says that once a dog with distemper develops neurological side effects (i.e. the tremors that you are describing) that they usually do end up being euthanized because of the pain.

I found another vet who was discussing treating a dog after they have distemper and she says that every time she has had a dog that got tremors afterwards it has not survived.

It's going to be a tough call from here. I suppose if this was my case I would try some strong pain medications. But, if things are getting worse then having the dog put to sleep may possibly be the kindest option.

So sorry. And, thank you for trying to take care of this little one.

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (28916 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9043 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (8256 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39897 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8669 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (16129 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9771 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24584 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4968 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (10239 views)