Muscle tremors and distemper.

Breed: mutt, street dog
I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She was diagnosed with distemper. She has nervous spasms/twitches so they put her on epilon and nutritional supplements. She is growing and getting stronger and at first the twitching slowed down, now it back just as strong and she is crying/whimpering a lot. She eats like crazy and pees and poops just fine. Any thoughts? Thanks, Deb

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Ruby was diagnosed with distemper. That is encouraging that she is improving, however.

Unfortunately, when a dog recovers from distemper and still has tremors, then there is often not much that can be done. It is such a nasty disease. :(

I have done some research for you and have found two things that vets will try using in order to help with the tremors. However, most of the reports say that these drugs usually do not work. The first medication would be to use a drug called procinamide which is usually a medication used to strengthen the heart. There is a thought that it can help to reduce muscle tremors in distemper, but there is no actual evidence to prove that it works.

The second medication is an anti-seizure medication called phenobarbital. I found one case where phenobarb was helpful for a dog with distemper tremors. But, the same vet who discussed this case also had 14 other dogs who did not respond well.

Both of these are prescription medications you would need to get from your vet.

I wish I had more I could offer you!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thanks for doing the research. I am actually more concerned about the amount of crying. There are not really any great dog vets where I am so that is why I am writing you. I have a nonprofit to help the street dog population here in Dharamsala India .

Anyway, why would she be crying more if she is getting healthier? Could she be relapsing?

In my area, fortunately we don't see much distemper at all so I do not have first hand experience for you.

From what I understand though distemper can be very painful.

I've done a little more research for you on veterinary information network (VIN) which is a place where tens of thousands of vets around the world discuss their cases.

I just found one reference from a vet who has had a lot of experience treating distemper and she says that once a dog with distemper develops neurological side effects (i.e. the tremors that you are describing) that they usually do end up being euthanized because of the pain.

I found another vet who was discussing treating a dog after they have distemper and she says that every time she has had a dog that got tremors afterwards it has not survived.

It's going to be a tough call from here. I suppose if this was my case I would try some strong pain medications. But, if things are getting worse then having the dog put to sleep may possibly be the kindest option.

So sorry. And, thank you for trying to take care of this little one.

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (5807 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (10839 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (72638 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (4422 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (8795 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (20969 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (10445 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (4738 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (2731 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (93813 views)