Limping boston terrier.

Breed: boston terrier
hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only after he took naps but now its getting more frequent. He is not showing any signs of pain and runs around on his other three legs but he cant jump as high any more and its becoming a very frequent limp. Any feedback would be great.

Sorry to hear that Trap is having problems with his leg.

There are a few things that can cause a lameness in the back leg of a boston terrier.

It could be a luxating patella. This happens when the kneecap slips out of its groove and towards the inside of the leg. Usually when this happens it is not painful, but the dog physically cannot put any weight on the leg until the kneecap goes back into place.

Some dogs will be born with "loose kneecaps" that can occasionally pop out. But sometimes a luxating patella can be there because of an injury. If it is because of an injury, sometimes the problem gets better with a period of a few weeks of rest. But, sometimes surgery is needed for the kneecap to stay in the groove properly.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his hip joint. Being a little dog, it is possible that this is a condition called Legge-Perthes disease. This is diagnosed with an xray. What happens is that there is a problem with the blood supply to the hip and part of the bone in the hip is affected. This is a painful condition. The treatment for this is surgery to remove part of the bone in the hip joint.

There are a number of other possibilities. It certainly could be just a muscle strain, but it would be unusual for it to be getting worse rather than better.

Usually with a lameness I have the following criteria for when you should see the vet:

-If it is extremely uncomfortable to the point that the dog can't get settled.
-If it is not getting better after 48 hours.
-If your gut just says something is wrong.

So, because this has been present for a while a vet visit is probably a good idea!

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (8385 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9173 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6007 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (4518 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9008 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6162 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (7017 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (10886 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (5578 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (11884 views)