Limping boston terrier.

Breed: boston terrier
hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only after he took naps but now its getting more frequent. He is not showing any signs of pain and runs around on his other three legs but he cant jump as high any more and its becoming a very frequent limp. Any feedback would be great.

Sorry to hear that Trap is having problems with his leg.

There are a few things that can cause a lameness in the back leg of a boston terrier.

It could be a luxating patella. This happens when the kneecap slips out of its groove and towards the inside of the leg. Usually when this happens it is not painful, but the dog physically cannot put any weight on the leg until the kneecap goes back into place.

Some dogs will be born with "loose kneecaps" that can occasionally pop out. But sometimes a luxating patella can be there because of an injury. If it is because of an injury, sometimes the problem gets better with a period of a few weeks of rest. But, sometimes surgery is needed for the kneecap to stay in the groove properly.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his hip joint. Being a little dog, it is possible that this is a condition called Legge-Perthes disease. This is diagnosed with an xray. What happens is that there is a problem with the blood supply to the hip and part of the bone in the hip is affected. This is a painful condition. The treatment for this is surgery to remove part of the bone in the hip joint.

There are a number of other possibilities. It certainly could be just a muscle strain, but it would be unusual for it to be getting worse rather than better.

Usually with a lameness I have the following criteria for when you should see the vet:

-If it is extremely uncomfortable to the point that the dog can't get settled.
-If it is not getting better after 48 hours.
-If your gut just says something is wrong.

So, because this has been present for a while a vet visit is probably a good idea!

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (16058 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (11278 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (10166 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (9483 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7774 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (15061 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (29848 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (30403 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (20213 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (11174 views)