Limping boston terrier.

Breed: boston terrier
hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only after he took naps but now its getting more frequent. He is not showing any signs of pain and runs around on his other three legs but he cant jump as high any more and its becoming a very frequent limp. Any feedback would be great.

Sorry to hear that Trap is having problems with his leg.

There are a few things that can cause a lameness in the back leg of a boston terrier.

It could be a luxating patella. This happens when the kneecap slips out of its groove and towards the inside of the leg. Usually when this happens it is not painful, but the dog physically cannot put any weight on the leg until the kneecap goes back into place.

Some dogs will be born with "loose kneecaps" that can occasionally pop out. But sometimes a luxating patella can be there because of an injury. If it is because of an injury, sometimes the problem gets better with a period of a few weeks of rest. But, sometimes surgery is needed for the kneecap to stay in the groove properly.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his hip joint. Being a little dog, it is possible that this is a condition called Legge-Perthes disease. This is diagnosed with an xray. What happens is that there is a problem with the blood supply to the hip and part of the bone in the hip is affected. This is a painful condition. The treatment for this is surgery to remove part of the bone in the hip joint.

There are a number of other possibilities. It certainly could be just a muscle strain, but it would be unusual for it to be getting worse rather than better.

Usually with a lameness I have the following criteria for when you should see the vet:

-If it is extremely uncomfortable to the point that the dog can't get settled.
-If it is not getting better after 48 hours.
-If your gut just says something is wrong.

So, because this has been present for a while a vet visit is probably a good idea!

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (14133 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (23937 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8967 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9763 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (14947 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15870 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28593 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5880 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13354 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8402 views)