Limping boston terrier.

Breed: boston terrier
hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only after he took naps but now its getting more frequent. He is not showing any signs of pain and runs around on his other three legs but he cant jump as high any more and its becoming a very frequent limp. Any feedback would be great.

Sorry to hear that Trap is having problems with his leg.

There are a few things that can cause a lameness in the back leg of a boston terrier.

It could be a luxating patella. This happens when the kneecap slips out of its groove and towards the inside of the leg. Usually when this happens it is not painful, but the dog physically cannot put any weight on the leg until the kneecap goes back into place.

Some dogs will be born with "loose kneecaps" that can occasionally pop out. But sometimes a luxating patella can be there because of an injury. If it is because of an injury, sometimes the problem gets better with a period of a few weeks of rest. But, sometimes surgery is needed for the kneecap to stay in the groove properly.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his hip joint. Being a little dog, it is possible that this is a condition called Legge-Perthes disease. This is diagnosed with an xray. What happens is that there is a problem with the blood supply to the hip and part of the bone in the hip is affected. This is a painful condition. The treatment for this is surgery to remove part of the bone in the hip joint.

There are a number of other possibilities. It certainly could be just a muscle strain, but it would be unusual for it to be getting worse rather than better.

Usually with a lameness I have the following criteria for when you should see the vet:

-If it is extremely uncomfortable to the point that the dog can't get settled.
-If it is not getting better after 48 hours.
-If your gut just says something is wrong.

So, because this has been present for a while a vet visit is probably a good idea!

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7905 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (31205 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (18529 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (39565 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15013 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (5928 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (27772 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4129 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7110 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4769 views)