Big lymph nodes.

Breed: Pekingese
My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body. He has no other symptoms, is energetic, eating fine, and in good spirits (basically his usual self). We did a blood test to reveal that his white blood cell count is 4.4 ( his red blood cell is OK his ALP is normal, but ALT/AST are elevated with ALT 155 and AST 56. The doctor said that his blood looked fine though....

He also said that it's probably lymphosarcoma but is perplexed that he otherwise OK and not exhibiting other symptoms no vomiting, weight loss, lethargy, etc....and he gave him no more than 2 months to live! I honestly don't trust his answers, because he keeps using works like "is likely" "in my experience" "it could be a tick related illness but..." I also wanted him to take an aspiration from the lymph tissue and he said he doesn't do those because they aren't very accurate and the only way to really know is to do a full lymph biopsy...although he wouldn't recommend that because it's highly invasive and not worth it if we aren't planning on doing chemo. Are there any other tests we can do to determine what's causing the flare ups?

He isn't very helpful and not giving me any other options or definitive answers...could it be a treatable infection? I'm probably going to go for a second opinion to get a more precise answer, but anything that can point me in the right direction or help with asking the right questions would be great. Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Shanson is having these issues!

I would agree that, even though there are some changes in his blood values, they are likely not significant.

There are several things that can cause lymph nodes all over the body to be enlarged. (The medical term for this is generalized lymphadenopathy).

The most common is indeed lymphoma (or lymphosarcoma which is basically the same thing). However, there are other things that it could be. Any sort of body wide infection, such as a tick borne infection or a bacterial infection could cause lymph nodes to be enlarged like this.

If this were my case I would be recommending a fine needle aspirate of the lymph nodes. If I wasn't sure if it was cancer or not then I would be sending the aspirate to a pathologist to look at. If this is not cancer, the pathologist usually can tell. They would likely then give you a diagnosis of "reactive lymphadenopathy" which means that the lymph nodes are reacting to some type of infection.

If we play the odds, cancer is the more likely diagnosis. I have seen dogs with lymphoma that had huge lymph nodes but didn't feel sick at all. Usually these dogs start to feel sick a few days to weeks after we notice that the lymph nodes are big.

If I got a diagnosis of reactive lymphadenopathy though, then I likely would run a tick titre test to see if we can determine if there is a specific tick borne disease. And, I'd probably be putting Shanson on some antibiotics.

It's always tough to judge a case without knowing all of the facts though. It's possible that your vet has some more information that points to cancer. However, it's never wrong to have a second opinion just to be sure.

I hope things work out ok.

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12317 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (10928 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (80633 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (30992 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6630 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (78985 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (9972 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (50565 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10541 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (90371 views)