Pooping in the house.

Breed: maltese cross
Hi
Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months ago and she has been a joy except for the fact that approx 1 week ago she started to defacate each night after she had been put to bed for the night. During the day she is outside a lot because that is where I spend most of my time and she is always around me. As I do not see her doing it it is very hard to controll. I have tried extra walking time, altered feeding times and even letting her outside during the night with no success. I have no intention of parting with this adorable little girl but at 71 years of age I am finding this problem very frustrating. She was introduced into my home that had another small 12 year old dog and feel she could be doing this because of jealousy. Please can you help me?

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I have a few thoughts that hopefully will help.

First of all, are the stools normal? If it seems like the stools are loose, soft or if there is any blood then it may be that there is a medical issue such as intestinal parasites or something else that is irritating the intestines. If you think this could be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Even if the stool is normal it's a good idea to take a sample in to your vet to have it checked for parasites.

If it does seem to be a behavioural issue then what I find works best is to do crate training for a period of 1-2 weeks. To do this, what you would do is keep her in a crate throughout the night. It may seem mean, but remember it is only for a short period.

Dogs will very rarely mess in their crate. (If she does she needs a smaller crate.) So, crating her will retrain her that the only appropriate time to defecate is outside. Most dogs figure it out within about a week.

Another thought that helps some people is to remember to never punish her for defecating in the house. What often happens is that the pup doesn't know that she is being punished for defecating in the house, but simply for defecating. So then, when she is outside with you she won't defecate because she is afraid of the punishment she may receive. So, if you do see that she has pooped in the house, as hard as it is, ignore it. And, when she does poop in an appropriate place make sure you give her lots of praise!

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8453 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16949 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12487 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9564 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (26346 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5520 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12040 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12830 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7485 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (20952 views)