Pooping in the house.

Breed: maltese cross
Hi
Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months ago and she has been a joy except for the fact that approx 1 week ago she started to defacate each night after she had been put to bed for the night. During the day she is outside a lot because that is where I spend most of my time and she is always around me. As I do not see her doing it it is very hard to controll. I have tried extra walking time, altered feeding times and even letting her outside during the night with no success. I have no intention of parting with this adorable little girl but at 71 years of age I am finding this problem very frustrating. She was introduced into my home that had another small 12 year old dog and feel she could be doing this because of jealousy. Please can you help me?

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I have a few thoughts that hopefully will help.

First of all, are the stools normal? If it seems like the stools are loose, soft or if there is any blood then it may be that there is a medical issue such as intestinal parasites or something else that is irritating the intestines. If you think this could be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Even if the stool is normal it's a good idea to take a sample in to your vet to have it checked for parasites.

If it does seem to be a behavioural issue then what I find works best is to do crate training for a period of 1-2 weeks. To do this, what you would do is keep her in a crate throughout the night. It may seem mean, but remember it is only for a short period.

Dogs will very rarely mess in their crate. (If she does she needs a smaller crate.) So, crating her will retrain her that the only appropriate time to defecate is outside. Most dogs figure it out within about a week.

Another thought that helps some people is to remember to never punish her for defecating in the house. What often happens is that the pup doesn't know that she is being punished for defecating in the house, but simply for defecating. So then, when she is outside with you she won't defecate because she is afraid of the punishment she may receive. So, if you do see that she has pooped in the house, as hard as it is, ignore it. And, when she does poop in an appropriate place make sure you give her lots of praise!

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (60072 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (14904 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (7998 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (106608 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (21485 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (17450 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (79020 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (10812 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (12336 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (17653 views)