Pooping in the house.

Breed: maltese cross
Hi
Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months ago and she has been a joy except for the fact that approx 1 week ago she started to defacate each night after she had been put to bed for the night. During the day she is outside a lot because that is where I spend most of my time and she is always around me. As I do not see her doing it it is very hard to controll. I have tried extra walking time, altered feeding times and even letting her outside during the night with no success. I have no intention of parting with this adorable little girl but at 71 years of age I am finding this problem very frustrating. She was introduced into my home that had another small 12 year old dog and feel she could be doing this because of jealousy. Please can you help me?

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I have a few thoughts that hopefully will help.

First of all, are the stools normal? If it seems like the stools are loose, soft or if there is any blood then it may be that there is a medical issue such as intestinal parasites or something else that is irritating the intestines. If you think this could be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Even if the stool is normal it's a good idea to take a sample in to your vet to have it checked for parasites.

If it does seem to be a behavioural issue then what I find works best is to do crate training for a period of 1-2 weeks. To do this, what you would do is keep her in a crate throughout the night. It may seem mean, but remember it is only for a short period.

Dogs will very rarely mess in their crate. (If she does she needs a smaller crate.) So, crating her will retrain her that the only appropriate time to defecate is outside. Most dogs figure it out within about a week.

Another thought that helps some people is to remember to never punish her for defecating in the house. What often happens is that the pup doesn't know that she is being punished for defecating in the house, but simply for defecating. So then, when she is outside with you she won't defecate because she is afraid of the punishment she may receive. So, if you do see that she has pooped in the house, as hard as it is, ignore it. And, when she does poop in an appropriate place make sure you give her lots of praise!

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13005 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (55523 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18454 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7610 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6291 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (25550 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10685 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13689 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10187 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7187 views)