Lab has a lump on his muzzle.

Breed: Labrador
We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I was hoping it was a spider bite or a fox tail. The Vet said Pumpkins teeth were lose and the x-ray showed the jawbone has been eaten away. The vet extracted a tooth and took a took a biopsy. Her belief is a tumor or fungal infection. Should I wait for the biopsy before having the vet explore the lump. Are the only two option fungal and cancer. Could it just be a infection that can be cured. The dog has since been on Clavamox for 6 days no improvement. Any suggestions???

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pumpkin is having these problems.

The most common reason for a bump on the muzzle of a dog is a bacterial tooth root infection. Usually this will cause a swelling underneath one eye.

However, it is really uncommon for a "regular" bacterial infection to cause destruction of the jawbone.

Unfortunately the most common reasons would be fungal or tumor. I have more commonly see a tumor do something like this. However, a mouth tumor in a 2 year old dog would be quite uncommon.

It is also possible that there is some sort of foreign object in the lump that is causing a very nasty bacterial infection. However, if this were the case I would expect to see at least some improvement with Clavamox which is a very good antibiotic for mouth infections.

Whether or not to explore before the biopsy results come in really is a decision you will have to make with your vet. It really depends on how long it is expected to take before the results come in and also whether the disease process is progressing rapidly.

I really hope everything is ok!

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (10641 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (47967 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9163 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (22410 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (23092 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (17947 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (20419 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (14806 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (11189 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (19393 views)