Lab has a lump on his muzzle.

Breed: Labrador
We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I was hoping it was a spider bite or a fox tail. The Vet said Pumpkins teeth were lose and the x-ray showed the jawbone has been eaten away. The vet extracted a tooth and took a took a biopsy. Her belief is a tumor or fungal infection. Should I wait for the biopsy before having the vet explore the lump. Are the only two option fungal and cancer. Could it just be a infection that can be cured. The dog has since been on Clavamox for 6 days no improvement. Any suggestions???

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pumpkin is having these problems.

The most common reason for a bump on the muzzle of a dog is a bacterial tooth root infection. Usually this will cause a swelling underneath one eye.

However, it is really uncommon for a "regular" bacterial infection to cause destruction of the jawbone.

Unfortunately the most common reasons would be fungal or tumor. I have more commonly see a tumor do something like this. However, a mouth tumor in a 2 year old dog would be quite uncommon.

It is also possible that there is some sort of foreign object in the lump that is causing a very nasty bacterial infection. However, if this were the case I would expect to see at least some improvement with Clavamox which is a very good antibiotic for mouth infections.

Whether or not to explore before the biopsy results come in really is a decision you will have to make with your vet. It really depends on how long it is expected to take before the results come in and also whether the disease process is progressing rapidly.

I really hope everything is ok!

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (10101 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (6949 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13933 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4133 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17777 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8071 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6632 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9404 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14470 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8651 views)