Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Lab has a lump on his muzzle.

Species: Dog
Breed: Labrador
Age: 2-5 years
We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I was hoping it was a spider bite or a fox tail. The Vet said Pumpkins teeth were lose and the x-ray showed the jawbone has been eaten away. The vet extracted a tooth and took a took a biopsy. Her belief is a tumor or fungal infection. Should I wait for the biopsy before having the vet explore the lump. Are the only two option fungal and cancer. Could it just be a infection that can be cured. The dog has since been on Clavamox for 6 days no improvement. Any suggestions???


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pumpkin is having these problems.

The most common reason for a bump on the muzzle of a dog is a bacterial tooth root infection. Usually this will cause a swelling underneath one eye.

However, it is really uncommon for a "regular" bacterial infection to cause destruction of the jawbone.

Unfortunately the most common reasons would be fungal or tumor. I have more commonly see a tumor do something like this. However, a mouth tumor in a 2 year old dog would be quite uncommon.

It is also possible that there is some sort of foreign object in the lump that is causing a very nasty bacterial infection. However, if this were the case I would expect to see at least some improvement with Clavamox which is a very good antibiotic for mouth infections.

Whether or not to explore before the biopsy results come in really is a decision you will have to make with your vet. It really depends on how long it is expected to take before the results come in and also whether the disease process is progressing rapidly.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8045 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (30602 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (5194 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11626 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5520 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5982 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (29515 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15542 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (38690 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (16704 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.