Lab has a lump on his muzzle.

Breed: Labrador
We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I was hoping it was a spider bite or a fox tail. The Vet said Pumpkins teeth were lose and the x-ray showed the jawbone has been eaten away. The vet extracted a tooth and took a took a biopsy. Her belief is a tumor or fungal infection. Should I wait for the biopsy before having the vet explore the lump. Are the only two option fungal and cancer. Could it just be a infection that can be cured. The dog has since been on Clavamox for 6 days no improvement. Any suggestions???

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pumpkin is having these problems.

The most common reason for a bump on the muzzle of a dog is a bacterial tooth root infection. Usually this will cause a swelling underneath one eye.

However, it is really uncommon for a "regular" bacterial infection to cause destruction of the jawbone.

Unfortunately the most common reasons would be fungal or tumor. I have more commonly see a tumor do something like this. However, a mouth tumor in a 2 year old dog would be quite uncommon.

It is also possible that there is some sort of foreign object in the lump that is causing a very nasty bacterial infection. However, if this were the case I would expect to see at least some improvement with Clavamox which is a very good antibiotic for mouth infections.

Whether or not to explore before the biopsy results come in really is a decision you will have to make with your vet. It really depends on how long it is expected to take before the results come in and also whether the disease process is progressing rapidly.

I really hope everything is ok!

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (30586 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38289 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14697 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (8372 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (8624 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32921 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5333 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11690 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8968 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (6357 views)