Lab has a lump on his muzzle.

Breed: Labrador
We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I was hoping it was a spider bite or a fox tail. The Vet said Pumpkins teeth were lose and the x-ray showed the jawbone has been eaten away. The vet extracted a tooth and took a took a biopsy. Her belief is a tumor or fungal infection. Should I wait for the biopsy before having the vet explore the lump. Are the only two option fungal and cancer. Could it just be a infection that can be cured. The dog has since been on Clavamox for 6 days no improvement. Any suggestions???

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pumpkin is having these problems.

The most common reason for a bump on the muzzle of a dog is a bacterial tooth root infection. Usually this will cause a swelling underneath one eye.

However, it is really uncommon for a "regular" bacterial infection to cause destruction of the jawbone.

Unfortunately the most common reasons would be fungal or tumor. I have more commonly see a tumor do something like this. However, a mouth tumor in a 2 year old dog would be quite uncommon.

It is also possible that there is some sort of foreign object in the lump that is causing a very nasty bacterial infection. However, if this were the case I would expect to see at least some improvement with Clavamox which is a very good antibiotic for mouth infections.

Whether or not to explore before the biopsy results come in really is a decision you will have to make with your vet. It really depends on how long it is expected to take before the results come in and also whether the disease process is progressing rapidly.

I really hope everything is ok!

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8269 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9840 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (26560 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (42137 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13599 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15668 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27424 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5175 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7556 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15322 views)