Hyperesthesia syndrome?

Breed: mixed breed, longhai
I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from where I found and raised my cat. My cat has developed a skin twitch where the area down his spine twitches and as a result, he bites his paws, legs, and the base of his tail frantically. He then hides in a dark place for hours. I took him to the vet who checked him for fleas, which he did not find. He gave Pebble a steroid shot and said that should clear things up. It has been 3 weeks and he still has these skin twitching episodes. I have spoken with multiple vets and vet techs who have been stumped by this. He eats and drinks regularly as well as has regular bowel movements. Any insight as to what this may be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your cat. But, I do have a few thoughts.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this, but cats who have this condition will be very sensitive over their back and tail region. It is usually treated with anti-anxiety medication (even if the cat doesn't seem anxious.)

I have also seen cats do this if they have fleas. Even if you can't see any sign of fleas on Pebble, I would recommend treating with a prescription strength flea product.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet do a skin scraping to look for unusual parasites such as demodex mites.

If that doesn't work, a fungal culture for ringworm is a possible test to do as well.

And one final thing I can think of would be to do a trial of some anti-inflammatory medication. I have seen cats that can have similar symptoms because of arthritis pain.

Hopefully that helps!

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (4010 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8503 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14112 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11001 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9275 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (13694 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10063 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6103 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10083 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4197 views)