Hyperesthesia syndrome?

Breed: mixed breed, longhai
I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from where I found and raised my cat. My cat has developed a skin twitch where the area down his spine twitches and as a result, he bites his paws, legs, and the base of his tail frantically. He then hides in a dark place for hours. I took him to the vet who checked him for fleas, which he did not find. He gave Pebble a steroid shot and said that should clear things up. It has been 3 weeks and he still has these skin twitching episodes. I have spoken with multiple vets and vet techs who have been stumped by this. He eats and drinks regularly as well as has regular bowel movements. Any insight as to what this may be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your cat. But, I do have a few thoughts.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this, but cats who have this condition will be very sensitive over their back and tail region. It is usually treated with anti-anxiety medication (even if the cat doesn't seem anxious.)

I have also seen cats do this if they have fleas. Even if you can't see any sign of fleas on Pebble, I would recommend treating with a prescription strength flea product.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet do a skin scraping to look for unusual parasites such as demodex mites.

If that doesn't work, a fungal culture for ringworm is a possible test to do as well.

And one final thing I can think of would be to do a trial of some anti-inflammatory medication. I have seen cats that can have similar symptoms because of arthritis pain.

Hopefully that helps!

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8274 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4785 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (41838 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4446 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4761 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8329 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7098 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (17762 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8732 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18905 views)