Cat is dying.

Breed: DSH
I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was alwasy healthy. The guy that took care of him retired and dumped him on me. He didn't take to a new home and wasn't eating. He is 22 lbs cuz they fed him junk. He seemed depressed. After a week he wasn't eating, urinating out of the box, dark urine, diarrhea and vomiting. I was giving him fluids. Now its been over a week he doesn't urinated or have bowel movements anymore, vomits fluid once in a while, and sounds gugling noises when he breathes and seems labored. This started when he left his home. I think he is dying. I don't have any money to take him to emergency vet, but I do have access to some meds etc as I volunteer at the local shelter. Sounds like kidney, or uti. He won't take any meds by mouth, he fights and spits it out.

Oh no. This cat sounds extremely ill and really does need to find some way to see a veterinarian.

I can think of several possible reasons for him to be having these symptoms. If he is not urinating at all, it's possible that he has a urinary tract blockage which is a very serious problem. If not treated, it is extremely painful and definitely life threatening.

Whenever a cat's breathing is labored, there is a serious issue going on. It can be a number of things ranging from a serious heart problem to a life threatening infection or even cancer.

The fact that you previously saw dark urine has me concerned that perhaps you were seeing bile pigment in the urine. Overweight cats can be prone to something called fatty liver which again, is very serious.

There really isn't a condition that I can think of that would cause these issues that you could treat at home with medications that you could obtain. Unfortunately it sounds like Smokey is deathly ill and I think that euthanasia may be necessary for him.

You mentioned that you volunteer at the local shelter. In some cases if an animal is suffering a shelter can have access to a veterinarian who will do euthanasia for low or no cost. If this is not possible then the local humane society really should do this for you.

I don't think it is wise to keep trying to treat this cat at home. I wish I had better options for you.

If it helps, I have refunded your money that you paid for this question so that you can put it towards getting him to see a vet.

Hopefully he can be seen very soon!

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (18328 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (16390 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (16365 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (15857 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (8221 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9414 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9208 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5620 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (26177 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21985 views)