Cat is dying.

Breed: DSH
I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was alwasy healthy. The guy that took care of him retired and dumped him on me. He didn't take to a new home and wasn't eating. He is 22 lbs cuz they fed him junk. He seemed depressed. After a week he wasn't eating, urinating out of the box, dark urine, diarrhea and vomiting. I was giving him fluids. Now its been over a week he doesn't urinated or have bowel movements anymore, vomits fluid once in a while, and sounds gugling noises when he breathes and seems labored. This started when he left his home. I think he is dying. I don't have any money to take him to emergency vet, but I do have access to some meds etc as I volunteer at the local shelter. Sounds like kidney, or uti. He won't take any meds by mouth, he fights and spits it out.

Oh no. This cat sounds extremely ill and really does need to find some way to see a veterinarian.

I can think of several possible reasons for him to be having these symptoms. If he is not urinating at all, it's possible that he has a urinary tract blockage which is a very serious problem. If not treated, it is extremely painful and definitely life threatening.

Whenever a cat's breathing is labored, there is a serious issue going on. It can be a number of things ranging from a serious heart problem to a life threatening infection or even cancer.

The fact that you previously saw dark urine has me concerned that perhaps you were seeing bile pigment in the urine. Overweight cats can be prone to something called fatty liver which again, is very serious.

There really isn't a condition that I can think of that would cause these issues that you could treat at home with medications that you could obtain. Unfortunately it sounds like Smokey is deathly ill and I think that euthanasia may be necessary for him.

You mentioned that you volunteer at the local shelter. In some cases if an animal is suffering a shelter can have access to a veterinarian who will do euthanasia for low or no cost. If this is not possible then the local humane society really should do this for you.

I don't think it is wise to keep trying to treat this cat at home. I wish I had better options for you.

If it helps, I have refunded your money that you paid for this question so that you can put it towards getting him to see a vet.

Hopefully he can be seen very soon!

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11074 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8125 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (21845 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26954 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4969 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11561 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14909 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21569 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13181 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (60795 views)