Cat is dying.

Breed: DSH
I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was alwasy healthy. The guy that took care of him retired and dumped him on me. He didn't take to a new home and wasn't eating. He is 22 lbs cuz they fed him junk. He seemed depressed. After a week he wasn't eating, urinating out of the box, dark urine, diarrhea and vomiting. I was giving him fluids. Now its been over a week he doesn't urinated or have bowel movements anymore, vomits fluid once in a while, and sounds gugling noises when he breathes and seems labored. This started when he left his home. I think he is dying. I don't have any money to take him to emergency vet, but I do have access to some meds etc as I volunteer at the local shelter. Sounds like kidney, or uti. He won't take any meds by mouth, he fights and spits it out.

Oh no. This cat sounds extremely ill and really does need to find some way to see a veterinarian.

I can think of several possible reasons for him to be having these symptoms. If he is not urinating at all, it's possible that he has a urinary tract blockage which is a very serious problem. If not treated, it is extremely painful and definitely life threatening.

Whenever a cat's breathing is labored, there is a serious issue going on. It can be a number of things ranging from a serious heart problem to a life threatening infection or even cancer.

The fact that you previously saw dark urine has me concerned that perhaps you were seeing bile pigment in the urine. Overweight cats can be prone to something called fatty liver which again, is very serious.

There really isn't a condition that I can think of that would cause these issues that you could treat at home with medications that you could obtain. Unfortunately it sounds like Smokey is deathly ill and I think that euthanasia may be necessary for him.

You mentioned that you volunteer at the local shelter. In some cases if an animal is suffering a shelter can have access to a veterinarian who will do euthanasia for low or no cost. If this is not possible then the local humane society really should do this for you.

I don't think it is wise to keep trying to treat this cat at home. I wish I had better options for you.

If it helps, I have refunded your money that you paid for this question so that you can put it towards getting him to see a vet.

Hopefully he can be seen very soon!

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (21346 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (11510 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (9646 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (6638 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (20003 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (10582 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (10144 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (11235 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (14615 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (18679 views)