Cat is dying.

Breed: DSH
I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was alwasy healthy. The guy that took care of him retired and dumped him on me. He didn't take to a new home and wasn't eating. He is 22 lbs cuz they fed him junk. He seemed depressed. After a week he wasn't eating, urinating out of the box, dark urine, diarrhea and vomiting. I was giving him fluids. Now its been over a week he doesn't urinated or have bowel movements anymore, vomits fluid once in a while, and sounds gugling noises when he breathes and seems labored. This started when he left his home. I think he is dying. I don't have any money to take him to emergency vet, but I do have access to some meds etc as I volunteer at the local shelter. Sounds like kidney, or uti. He won't take any meds by mouth, he fights and spits it out.

Oh no. This cat sounds extremely ill and really does need to find some way to see a veterinarian.

I can think of several possible reasons for him to be having these symptoms. If he is not urinating at all, it's possible that he has a urinary tract blockage which is a very serious problem. If not treated, it is extremely painful and definitely life threatening.

Whenever a cat's breathing is labored, there is a serious issue going on. It can be a number of things ranging from a serious heart problem to a life threatening infection or even cancer.

The fact that you previously saw dark urine has me concerned that perhaps you were seeing bile pigment in the urine. Overweight cats can be prone to something called fatty liver which again, is very serious.

There really isn't a condition that I can think of that would cause these issues that you could treat at home with medications that you could obtain. Unfortunately it sounds like Smokey is deathly ill and I think that euthanasia may be necessary for him.

You mentioned that you volunteer at the local shelter. In some cases if an animal is suffering a shelter can have access to a veterinarian who will do euthanasia for low or no cost. If this is not possible then the local humane society really should do this for you.

I don't think it is wise to keep trying to treat this cat at home. I wish I had better options for you.

If it helps, I have refunded your money that you paid for this question so that you can put it towards getting him to see a vet.

Hopefully he can be seen very soon!

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13019 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10945 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5778 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (11480 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (20341 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9835 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (11089 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (35073 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (7842 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (11582 views)