Becoming a veterinary assistant?

Breed: Great Pyrenees
I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches me to become one and you get a diploma at the end. Should I continue this route or how should I go about this? Thank you for your time.

I am always unsure about how to advise people when they ask me about becoming a vet assistant.

The main problem is that you really are not going to make much money. In most veterinary practices there are only a few possible positions - veterinarian, technician, and receptionist. In our practice, some of our receptionists have taken courses to become a vet assistant. However they do not make any more money than the other receptionists.

Taking this course may help you to get a veterinary receptionist job, but that is about it.

If you really want to go to school to work with animals you may consider becoming a veterinary technician.

It's possible that other areas have different pay schedules if you have completed this course, but I wouldn't count on making a lot of money after graduation.

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7329 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13684 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5454 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8682 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (7166 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (30844 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8828 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8808 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (9595 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (26136 views)