Becoming a veterinary assistant?

Breed: Great Pyrenees
I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches me to become one and you get a diploma at the end. Should I continue this route or how should I go about this? Thank you for your time.

I am always unsure about how to advise people when they ask me about becoming a vet assistant.

The main problem is that you really are not going to make much money. In most veterinary practices there are only a few possible positions - veterinarian, technician, and receptionist. In our practice, some of our receptionists have taken courses to become a vet assistant. However they do not make any more money than the other receptionists.

Taking this course may help you to get a veterinary receptionist job, but that is about it.

If you really want to go to school to work with animals you may consider becoming a veterinary technician.

It's possible that other areas have different pay schedules if you have completed this course, but I wouldn't count on making a lot of money after graduation.

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6940 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11549 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8474 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14372 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9921 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10823 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16534 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5675 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4955 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14455 views)