Becoming a veterinary assistant?

Breed: Great Pyrenees
I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches me to become one and you get a diploma at the end. Should I continue this route or how should I go about this? Thank you for your time.

I am always unsure about how to advise people when they ask me about becoming a vet assistant.

The main problem is that you really are not going to make much money. In most veterinary practices there are only a few possible positions - veterinarian, technician, and receptionist. In our practice, some of our receptionists have taken courses to become a vet assistant. However they do not make any more money than the other receptionists.

Taking this course may help you to get a veterinary receptionist job, but that is about it.

If you really want to go to school to work with animals you may consider becoming a veterinary technician.

It's possible that other areas have different pay schedules if you have completed this course, but I wouldn't count on making a lot of money after graduation.

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (12551 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (6524 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (7136 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (15411 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (90371 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (7558 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (16283 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (15881 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (13399 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (9315 views)