Becoming a veterinary assistant?

Breed: Great Pyrenees
I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches me to become one and you get a diploma at the end. Should I continue this route or how should I go about this? Thank you for your time.

I am always unsure about how to advise people when they ask me about becoming a vet assistant.

The main problem is that you really are not going to make much money. In most veterinary practices there are only a few possible positions - veterinarian, technician, and receptionist. In our practice, some of our receptionists have taken courses to become a vet assistant. However they do not make any more money than the other receptionists.

Taking this course may help you to get a veterinary receptionist job, but that is about it.

If you really want to go to school to work with animals you may consider becoming a veterinary technician.

It's possible that other areas have different pay schedules if you have completed this course, but I wouldn't count on making a lot of money after graduation.

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (13415 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (40814 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (9501 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (11456 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (21147 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (6256 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (10294 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (9323 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (27037 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (7823 views)