White spot on dog's nose.

Breed: lab
sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell if she is in any pain nor will she let me try an touch it. This spot has been there for 3 days now.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Sadie, but I'll give you a few ideas of what this could be.

It's possible that this is a pustule. This would be a sign of a skin infection. It may have started with a break in the skin or even an insect sting. If it is a pustule then Sadie's likely going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that this is a viral wart. A viral wart looks like a tiny little cauliflower like growth. If this is the case then it will go away on its own but may take a few months to do so. Someone recently discovered that putting a dog with a viral wart on an antibiotic called azithromycin can make it go away within 10 days though. Viral warts are contagious to other dogs.

It's also possible that this is the start of a serious autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. These conditions are rare though. If this is the case then the bump would turn into a blister and then ulcerate (i.e. get raw and inflamed.)

I have also seen dogs just get pigment changes on their nose that are nothing to worry about.

While I can't give you an official diagnosis online, if you'd like to send a picture I can perhaps give you a better idea and let you know whether a vet visit is necessary.

If you can get a picture you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'll be online for about 20 minutes more tonight...but I'll check in in the morning if I've missed you.

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23705 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13957 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11418 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11561 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8591 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10321 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (24123 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (17612 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24772 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (15546 views)