White spot on dog's nose.

Breed: lab
sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell if she is in any pain nor will she let me try an touch it. This spot has been there for 3 days now.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Sadie, but I'll give you a few ideas of what this could be.

It's possible that this is a pustule. This would be a sign of a skin infection. It may have started with a break in the skin or even an insect sting. If it is a pustule then Sadie's likely going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that this is a viral wart. A viral wart looks like a tiny little cauliflower like growth. If this is the case then it will go away on its own but may take a few months to do so. Someone recently discovered that putting a dog with a viral wart on an antibiotic called azithromycin can make it go away within 10 days though. Viral warts are contagious to other dogs.

It's also possible that this is the start of a serious autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. These conditions are rare though. If this is the case then the bump would turn into a blister and then ulcerate (i.e. get raw and inflamed.)

I have also seen dogs just get pigment changes on their nose that are nothing to worry about.

While I can't give you an official diagnosis online, if you'd like to send a picture I can perhaps give you a better idea and let you know whether a vet visit is necessary.

If you can get a picture you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'll be online for about 20 minutes more tonight...but I'll check in in the morning if I've missed you.

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5077 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9307 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (13821 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (60849 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (13685 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20326 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9503 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (44886 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7208 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11385 views)