White spot on dog's nose.

Breed: lab
sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell if she is in any pain nor will she let me try an touch it. This spot has been there for 3 days now.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Sadie, but I'll give you a few ideas of what this could be.

It's possible that this is a pustule. This would be a sign of a skin infection. It may have started with a break in the skin or even an insect sting. If it is a pustule then Sadie's likely going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that this is a viral wart. A viral wart looks like a tiny little cauliflower like growth. If this is the case then it will go away on its own but may take a few months to do so. Someone recently discovered that putting a dog with a viral wart on an antibiotic called azithromycin can make it go away within 10 days though. Viral warts are contagious to other dogs.

It's also possible that this is the start of a serious autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. These conditions are rare though. If this is the case then the bump would turn into a blister and then ulcerate (i.e. get raw and inflamed.)

I have also seen dogs just get pigment changes on their nose that are nothing to worry about.

While I can't give you an official diagnosis online, if you'd like to send a picture I can perhaps give you a better idea and let you know whether a vet visit is necessary.

If you can get a picture you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'll be online for about 20 minutes more tonight...but I'll check in in the morning if I've missed you.

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (9230 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (12505 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10915 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7387 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (12499 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9889 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (12887 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (15023 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (16320 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (8127 views)