Is my dog in pain?

Breed: Gsd
Hi dr, Marie,
I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for cancer.
Unfortunately Jacob is not doing well. He is very week since yesterday but a little stronger today which surprised me as bad as he was last night. He went potty but hasn't drank water yet today but had a treat.

I'm. Thinking he is bleeding internally why he is so week.
I thought I would Ben able to take in when I thought it was time but was hoping he would go on his sleep so I could have him here at home.. Is he suffering? He doesn't seem to be in to much discomfort. I was just looking for some input. I don't want to call my vet yet.

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, my eyes are blurry from crying .

Thank you so much for your last answere about the papaya it made me feel like I could do something.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Jacob is not doing well. I remember from your previous question that Jacob was diagnosed with a tumor on the spleen.

You're right that the most common outcome when a dog has a splenic tumor is that the diseased spleen bleeds into the abdomen.

It's always hard to answer the question of whether or not a dog is in pain. Here are my thoughts on how a dog feels with a bleeding spleen tumor. I don't believe that he is in pain but I do think that he feels really unwell. If he is bleeding into his abdomen then he likely is going into something called hypvolemic shock. This happens where the body's blood supply is dangerously low. Shock does not feel good. It causes the kidneys and other organs to start to fail. I would imagine that Jacob probably feels very nauseous and weak.

It is certainly possible that he could die at home. I have seen dogs with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen die a peaceful death at home. Even still, if it is at all possible, I would advise on euthanasia rather than a home death. The reason for this is that the death may not be peaceful. He may end up having seizures or extreme breathing problems. It would be awful to have to rush him in to the emergency vet in the middle of the night in distress.

I know this is a very hard decision for you. It is hard for any owner to go through euthanasia, but if we look at it from Jacob's perspective it may be in his best interest.

I'm so sorry.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I forgot to tell you that he did have his spleen removed the very beginning.

His eyes do not look well. I work at home and he still wants to try and come out to work with me..

Yes will probably end. Up taking him in..

Thank you so much

It sounds like that is the best decision. We just did this with our cat Albert recently. It's never easy but it is better than letting him continue in his discomfort.

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6580 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (21621 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21235 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (23364 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8732 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (59356 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (110631 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (27057 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (12990 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11176 views)