Crusty spots on hamsters.

Breed: Dwarf
I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a spot on his back which was white crusty or flakey looking with fur missing. It cause him to itch. I see no mites. After online research I tried rubbing him twice with olive oil. This did not seem to help. This morning the middle size one rachet has a spot now. I am worried!! They are biting each other. I don't want little guys to suffer have only had them six days but am so attached already. I keep them clean and they are drinking and eating. I can send pic if you need it. Please help!

Thanks for your question. I would love to see a picture. You can send it as an attachment to the email that you received telling you that you had a response from me.

Once I've seen the picture I'll get back to you.

Just so you know, I am only online for a couple more minutes and then I am off to a birthday party for my husband. If I don't get your photo before I go I'll respond to you in a couple of hours.

I still haven't got your email.

Ah, usually when that happens it means the email got stuck in your spam folder. You can send a picture to info@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks.

Ok...I received the pictures. It's a little blurry, but I can give you my opinion.

hamster skin

hamster skin

At first when I read your question I thought that you were seeing bite wounds. Hamsters will often fight with each other.

But, this doesn't really look like a bite wound.

There are only a few things that are contagious between hamsters that cause itchiness like this. My first concern would be for ringworm which is a fungal infection. Ringworm can also be contagious to people, so it is important to get it dealt with right away.

If this were an older hamster I would be worried about cushing's disease or a parasite called demodex. But neither of these are really contagious.

Unfortunately to treat ringworm it really is best to see your vet. In many cases the vet will look at all 3 hamsters and just charge you for 1.

If you have more questions let me know and I will reply when I get back from my party.

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8709 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13853 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (14315 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21843 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (11021 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7426 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14595 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7981 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15796 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7415 views)