Crusty spots on hamsters.

Breed: Dwarf
I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a spot on his back which was white crusty or flakey looking with fur missing. It cause him to itch. I see no mites. After online research I tried rubbing him twice with olive oil. This did not seem to help. This morning the middle size one rachet has a spot now. I am worried!! They are biting each other. I don't want little guys to suffer have only had them six days but am so attached already. I keep them clean and they are drinking and eating. I can send pic if you need it. Please help!

Thanks for your question. I would love to see a picture. You can send it as an attachment to the email that you received telling you that you had a response from me.

Once I've seen the picture I'll get back to you.

Just so you know, I am only online for a couple more minutes and then I am off to a birthday party for my husband. If I don't get your photo before I go I'll respond to you in a couple of hours.

I still haven't got your email.

Ah, usually when that happens it means the email got stuck in your spam folder. You can send a picture to info@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks.

Ok...I received the pictures. It's a little blurry, but I can give you my opinion.

hamster skin

hamster skin

At first when I read your question I thought that you were seeing bite wounds. Hamsters will often fight with each other.

But, this doesn't really look like a bite wound.

There are only a few things that are contagious between hamsters that cause itchiness like this. My first concern would be for ringworm which is a fungal infection. Ringworm can also be contagious to people, so it is important to get it dealt with right away.

If this were an older hamster I would be worried about cushing's disease or a parasite called demodex. But neither of these are really contagious.

Unfortunately to treat ringworm it really is best to see your vet. In many cases the vet will look at all 3 hamsters and just charge you for 1.

If you have more questions let me know and I will reply when I get back from my party.

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16497 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (36708 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20928 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10874 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4755 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12802 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6382 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (25349 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (8992 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (38450 views)