Crusty spots on hamsters.

Breed: Dwarf
I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a spot on his back which was white crusty or flakey looking with fur missing. It cause him to itch. I see no mites. After online research I tried rubbing him twice with olive oil. This did not seem to help. This morning the middle size one rachet has a spot now. I am worried!! They are biting each other. I don't want little guys to suffer have only had them six days but am so attached already. I keep them clean and they are drinking and eating. I can send pic if you need it. Please help!

Thanks for your question. I would love to see a picture. You can send it as an attachment to the email that you received telling you that you had a response from me.

Once I've seen the picture I'll get back to you.

Just so you know, I am only online for a couple more minutes and then I am off to a birthday party for my husband. If I don't get your photo before I go I'll respond to you in a couple of hours.

I still haven't got your email.

Ah, usually when that happens it means the email got stuck in your spam folder. You can send a picture to info@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks.

Ok...I received the pictures. It's a little blurry, but I can give you my opinion.

hamster skin

hamster skin

At first when I read your question I thought that you were seeing bite wounds. Hamsters will often fight with each other.

But, this doesn't really look like a bite wound.

There are only a few things that are contagious between hamsters that cause itchiness like this. My first concern would be for ringworm which is a fungal infection. Ringworm can also be contagious to people, so it is important to get it dealt with right away.

If this were an older hamster I would be worried about cushing's disease or a parasite called demodex. But neither of these are really contagious.

Unfortunately to treat ringworm it really is best to see your vet. In many cases the vet will look at all 3 hamsters and just charge you for 1.

If you have more questions let me know and I will reply when I get back from my party.

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4879 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7511 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9964 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12004 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (26509 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (7860 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (50288 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14094 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10482 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (26525 views)