Crusty spots on hamsters.

Breed: Dwarf
I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a spot on his back which was white crusty or flakey looking with fur missing. It cause him to itch. I see no mites. After online research I tried rubbing him twice with olive oil. This did not seem to help. This morning the middle size one rachet has a spot now. I am worried!! They are biting each other. I don't want little guys to suffer have only had them six days but am so attached already. I keep them clean and they are drinking and eating. I can send pic if you need it. Please help!

Thanks for your question. I would love to see a picture. You can send it as an attachment to the email that you received telling you that you had a response from me.

Once I've seen the picture I'll get back to you.

Just so you know, I am only online for a couple more minutes and then I am off to a birthday party for my husband. If I don't get your photo before I go I'll respond to you in a couple of hours.

I still haven't got your email.

Ah, usually when that happens it means the email got stuck in your spam folder. You can send a picture to info@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks.

Ok...I received the pictures. It's a little blurry, but I can give you my opinion.

hamster skin

hamster skin

At first when I read your question I thought that you were seeing bite wounds. Hamsters will often fight with each other.

But, this doesn't really look like a bite wound.

There are only a few things that are contagious between hamsters that cause itchiness like this. My first concern would be for ringworm which is a fungal infection. Ringworm can also be contagious to people, so it is important to get it dealt with right away.

If this were an older hamster I would be worried about cushing's disease or a parasite called demodex. But neither of these are really contagious.

Unfortunately to treat ringworm it really is best to see your vet. In many cases the vet will look at all 3 hamsters and just charge you for 1.

If you have more questions let me know and I will reply when I get back from my party.

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4819 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (11833 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7020 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (14385 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (12623 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (7692 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (4732 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6023 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (7591 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (9413 views)