Crusty spots on hamsters.

Breed: Dwarf
I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a spot on his back which was white crusty or flakey looking with fur missing. It cause him to itch. I see no mites. After online research I tried rubbing him twice with olive oil. This did not seem to help. This morning the middle size one rachet has a spot now. I am worried!! They are biting each other. I don't want little guys to suffer have only had them six days but am so attached already. I keep them clean and they are drinking and eating. I can send pic if you need it. Please help!

Thanks for your question. I would love to see a picture. You can send it as an attachment to the email that you received telling you that you had a response from me.

Once I've seen the picture I'll get back to you.

Just so you know, I am only online for a couple more minutes and then I am off to a birthday party for my husband. If I don't get your photo before I go I'll respond to you in a couple of hours.

I still haven't got your email.

Ah, usually when that happens it means the email got stuck in your spam folder. You can send a picture to info@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks.

Ok...I received the pictures. It's a little blurry, but I can give you my opinion.

hamster skin

hamster skin

At first when I read your question I thought that you were seeing bite wounds. Hamsters will often fight with each other.

But, this doesn't really look like a bite wound.

There are only a few things that are contagious between hamsters that cause itchiness like this. My first concern would be for ringworm which is a fungal infection. Ringworm can also be contagious to people, so it is important to get it dealt with right away.

If this were an older hamster I would be worried about cushing's disease or a parasite called demodex. But neither of these are really contagious.

Unfortunately to treat ringworm it really is best to see your vet. In many cases the vet will look at all 3 hamsters and just charge you for 1.

If you have more questions let me know and I will reply when I get back from my party.

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (14459 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (44777 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (11436 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (7323 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7414 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (56981 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (119699 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (14602 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (23212 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11449 views)