Bite wound not healing.

Breed: American Eskimo
My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder. She went in to the vet who said that they were "the tip of the iceberg" and that there was likely damage underneath. We could opt to have him surgically inspect and drain the wound and repair any damage or take our chances and just take her home with antibiotics. Since we didn't really know what we were dealing with and she needed dentistry anyways, we opted to go with the surgery.

He found two other wounds and he said the muscle had been pretty badly torn.

Anyways...the part that I'm concerned about is that she now has gone from punctures to three 1.5 inch wide oval wounds about 1/4 inch deep (there's a layer of skin, what looks like sub-q fat or collagen, then the "muscle" is exposed). The vet has said to leave the wounds uncovered and simply soak them twice a day and treat them with neosporin. But it seems so counterintuitive to me to not use a gauze dressing.

I just wanted to get a second opinion. The only explanation or justification that the vet provided is "dogs are different than people" and that they do better when the wounds are managed this way.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Tehya is going through this. I have seen a number of cases like this where what looked like a simple puncture wound from a dog bite ended up being something much more serious.

I would agree with your vet that leaving these open is likely the best idea. Often what I like to do is something called hydrotherapy where I will take a lukewarm stream of water and gently rinse the wound for about 3-5 minutes three times daily. This will really help with the healing.

We generally do not cover these types of wounds.

Sometimes a wound like this needs additional surgery as time goes by. If you are noticing that part of the wound is black then Tehya may need to have the wound addressed surgically again.

However, most of the time an open wound like this just heals with time and antibiotics.

I really hope she heals up soon!

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (13920 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (24834 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (13307 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (15105 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (18521 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (19532 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (7936 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (8527 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (25037 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (14660 views)