Bite wound not healing.

Breed: American Eskimo
My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder. She went in to the vet who said that they were "the tip of the iceberg" and that there was likely damage underneath. We could opt to have him surgically inspect and drain the wound and repair any damage or take our chances and just take her home with antibiotics. Since we didn't really know what we were dealing with and she needed dentistry anyways, we opted to go with the surgery.

He found two other wounds and he said the muscle had been pretty badly torn.

Anyways...the part that I'm concerned about is that she now has gone from punctures to three 1.5 inch wide oval wounds about 1/4 inch deep (there's a layer of skin, what looks like sub-q fat or collagen, then the "muscle" is exposed). The vet has said to leave the wounds uncovered and simply soak them twice a day and treat them with neosporin. But it seems so counterintuitive to me to not use a gauze dressing.

I just wanted to get a second opinion. The only explanation or justification that the vet provided is "dogs are different than people" and that they do better when the wounds are managed this way.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Tehya is going through this. I have seen a number of cases like this where what looked like a simple puncture wound from a dog bite ended up being something much more serious.

I would agree with your vet that leaving these open is likely the best idea. Often what I like to do is something called hydrotherapy where I will take a lukewarm stream of water and gently rinse the wound for about 3-5 minutes three times daily. This will really help with the healing.

We generally do not cover these types of wounds.

Sometimes a wound like this needs additional surgery as time goes by. If you are noticing that part of the wound is black then Tehya may need to have the wound addressed surgically again.

However, most of the time an open wound like this just heals with time and antibiotics.

I really hope she heals up soon!

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (21018 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8703 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (18117 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7181 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8597 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8925 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10145 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10497 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (7610 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9890 views)