Bite wound not healing.

Breed: American Eskimo
My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder. She went in to the vet who said that they were "the tip of the iceberg" and that there was likely damage underneath. We could opt to have him surgically inspect and drain the wound and repair any damage or take our chances and just take her home with antibiotics. Since we didn't really know what we were dealing with and she needed dentistry anyways, we opted to go with the surgery.

He found two other wounds and he said the muscle had been pretty badly torn.

Anyways...the part that I'm concerned about is that she now has gone from punctures to three 1.5 inch wide oval wounds about 1/4 inch deep (there's a layer of skin, what looks like sub-q fat or collagen, then the "muscle" is exposed). The vet has said to leave the wounds uncovered and simply soak them twice a day and treat them with neosporin. But it seems so counterintuitive to me to not use a gauze dressing.

I just wanted to get a second opinion. The only explanation or justification that the vet provided is "dogs are different than people" and that they do better when the wounds are managed this way.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Tehya is going through this. I have seen a number of cases like this where what looked like a simple puncture wound from a dog bite ended up being something much more serious.

I would agree with your vet that leaving these open is likely the best idea. Often what I like to do is something called hydrotherapy where I will take a lukewarm stream of water and gently rinse the wound for about 3-5 minutes three times daily. This will really help with the healing.

We generally do not cover these types of wounds.

Sometimes a wound like this needs additional surgery as time goes by. If you are noticing that part of the wound is black then Tehya may need to have the wound addressed surgically again.

However, most of the time an open wound like this just heals with time and antibiotics.

I really hope she heals up soon!

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (170223 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59237 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10580 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (25383 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (6305 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (17080 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (12391 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (15760 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14594 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25551 views)