Dog can't stand.

Breed: Golden REtriever
Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or stairs with our her legs failing. This is by no mean normal for her.

A month ago she received some annual shots from the vet?

We havent seen any signs of her getting into anything poisonous.

She has defecated and urinated today and all signs are normal.

My first guess is bruised spine, sprained muscle, or disc problems. Ideas?

Here's a video explaination...

http://www.partyandeventguide.com/Vera.MOV

Poor Vera. She looks so uncomfortable.

I would agree with you. The first thing that I think of is some type of back problem. She may have some inflammation around a disc or even a partial disc prolapse.

It's hard to tell a lot from the video other than the fact that she looks painful.

It really looks like she needs to have a good thorough vet exam. The vet will do some neurological tests to figure out if there is a serious back issue. Sometimes, if we catch a back problem early and it is not too serious we can treat it with anti-inflammatory medications. But, sometimes surgery is required, especially if there is a disc prolapse.

It's also possible that she has pain in her pelvis or hips. Xrays may be required.

I wish I had more concrete advice for you, but what I can tell you is that this is something that definitely needs medical attention.

I really hope she is ok!

WE took her to the Vet. They prescribed anti-inflammatory medications. She seems to be "feeling" better and obviously more mobile. She is still walking funny though. Giving it a few days

This is great news! Thanks for the update!

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (28016 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (8615 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (8228 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (18078 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (18249 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (41684 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (13393 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (8328 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (35908 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (7350 views)