Dog can't stand.

Breed: Golden REtriever
Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or stairs with our her legs failing. This is by no mean normal for her.

A month ago she received some annual shots from the vet?

We havent seen any signs of her getting into anything poisonous.

She has defecated and urinated today and all signs are normal.

My first guess is bruised spine, sprained muscle, or disc problems. Ideas?

Here's a video explaination...

http://www.partyandeventguide.com/Vera.MOV

Poor Vera. She looks so uncomfortable.

I would agree with you. The first thing that I think of is some type of back problem. She may have some inflammation around a disc or even a partial disc prolapse.

It's hard to tell a lot from the video other than the fact that she looks painful.

It really looks like she needs to have a good thorough vet exam. The vet will do some neurological tests to figure out if there is a serious back issue. Sometimes, if we catch a back problem early and it is not too serious we can treat it with anti-inflammatory medications. But, sometimes surgery is required, especially if there is a disc prolapse.

It's also possible that she has pain in her pelvis or hips. Xrays may be required.

I wish I had more concrete advice for you, but what I can tell you is that this is something that definitely needs medical attention.

I really hope she is ok!

WE took her to the Vet. They prescribed anti-inflammatory medications. She seems to be "feeling" better and obviously more mobile. She is still walking funny though. Giving it a few days

This is great news! Thanks for the update!

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23686 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (7962 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6163 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30628 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10142 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (10806 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (7982 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9030 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (11723 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17269 views)