Dog can't stand.

Breed: Golden REtriever
Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or stairs with our her legs failing. This is by no mean normal for her.

A month ago she received some annual shots from the vet?

We havent seen any signs of her getting into anything poisonous.

She has defecated and urinated today and all signs are normal.

My first guess is bruised spine, sprained muscle, or disc problems. Ideas?

Here's a video explaination...

http://www.partyandeventguide.com/Vera.MOV

Poor Vera. She looks so uncomfortable.

I would agree with you. The first thing that I think of is some type of back problem. She may have some inflammation around a disc or even a partial disc prolapse.

It's hard to tell a lot from the video other than the fact that she looks painful.

It really looks like she needs to have a good thorough vet exam. The vet will do some neurological tests to figure out if there is a serious back issue. Sometimes, if we catch a back problem early and it is not too serious we can treat it with anti-inflammatory medications. But, sometimes surgery is required, especially if there is a disc prolapse.

It's also possible that she has pain in her pelvis or hips. Xrays may be required.

I wish I had more concrete advice for you, but what I can tell you is that this is something that definitely needs medical attention.

I really hope she is ok!

WE took her to the Vet. They prescribed anti-inflammatory medications. She seems to be "feeling" better and obviously more mobile. She is still walking funny though. Giving it a few days

This is great news! Thanks for the update!

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9512 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (6952 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (44155 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13141 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5768 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30151 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (14048 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6040 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (34436 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12597 views)