Large black mole on dog.

Breed: Labrador
Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has had a mole on his belly since he was born, but a few months ago that mole has gotten really big and he is 4 yrs now. The mole that once was really small is now a wart and looks like one of those fat ticks, but obviously is not a tick. I really don’t know much about that stuff and it worries me that it could be cancer; and this dog even thou is Labrador and is suppose to be friendly, he hates everybody except me, so its really hard to take him to the vet, unless is for his yearly visits for the vaccines.

So thank you very much in advance, Zeus and I are really grateful and will be wating for your answer. Have a nice day!

Sherin

Hi there and thanks for your question. The good news is that most of the time when we see a black wart-like growth it is not anything to worry about.

However, whenever I see a lump that has been present for years suddenly start to change I always want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate. Most dogs tolerate this relatively well.

You may want to ask your vet if they could prescribe a sedative such as acepromazine (atravet) to help Zeus behave better for his visit.

Many black smooth growths on the skin of dogs are benign melanomas. However, again, if one starts to grow then I recommend getting it checked out and possibly removed.

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (10861 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (14727 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (33312 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (12226 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (9142 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (14868 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (17083 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (13583 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (14941 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (12381 views)