Large black mole on dog.

Breed: Labrador
Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has had a mole on his belly since he was born, but a few months ago that mole has gotten really big and he is 4 yrs now. The mole that once was really small is now a wart and looks like one of those fat ticks, but obviously is not a tick. I really don’t know much about that stuff and it worries me that it could be cancer; and this dog even thou is Labrador and is suppose to be friendly, he hates everybody except me, so its really hard to take him to the vet, unless is for his yearly visits for the vaccines.

So thank you very much in advance, Zeus and I are really grateful and will be wating for your answer. Have a nice day!

Sherin

Hi there and thanks for your question. The good news is that most of the time when we see a black wart-like growth it is not anything to worry about.

However, whenever I see a lump that has been present for years suddenly start to change I always want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate. Most dogs tolerate this relatively well.

You may want to ask your vet if they could prescribe a sedative such as acepromazine (atravet) to help Zeus behave better for his visit.

Many black smooth growths on the skin of dogs are benign melanomas. However, again, if one starts to grow then I recommend getting it checked out and possibly removed.

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (17017 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (35200 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20858 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (42414 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (18400 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (11555 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (27233 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (19953 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (10189 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (14228 views)