Large black mole on dog.

Breed: Labrador
Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has had a mole on his belly since he was born, but a few months ago that mole has gotten really big and he is 4 yrs now. The mole that once was really small is now a wart and looks like one of those fat ticks, but obviously is not a tick. I really don’t know much about that stuff and it worries me that it could be cancer; and this dog even thou is Labrador and is suppose to be friendly, he hates everybody except me, so its really hard to take him to the vet, unless is for his yearly visits for the vaccines.

So thank you very much in advance, Zeus and I are really grateful and will be wating for your answer. Have a nice day!

Sherin

Hi there and thanks for your question. The good news is that most of the time when we see a black wart-like growth it is not anything to worry about.

However, whenever I see a lump that has been present for years suddenly start to change I always want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate. Most dogs tolerate this relatively well.

You may want to ask your vet if they could prescribe a sedative such as acepromazine (atravet) to help Zeus behave better for his visit.

Many black smooth growths on the skin of dogs are benign melanomas. However, again, if one starts to grow then I recommend getting it checked out and possibly removed.

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7511 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (10851 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (27660 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (19221 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4660 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (17976 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (13442 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (29911 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15301 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (38516 views)