Large black mole on dog.

Breed: Labrador
Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has had a mole on his belly since he was born, but a few months ago that mole has gotten really big and he is 4 yrs now. The mole that once was really small is now a wart and looks like one of those fat ticks, but obviously is not a tick. I really don’t know much about that stuff and it worries me that it could be cancer; and this dog even thou is Labrador and is suppose to be friendly, he hates everybody except me, so its really hard to take him to the vet, unless is for his yearly visits for the vaccines.

So thank you very much in advance, Zeus and I are really grateful and will be wating for your answer. Have a nice day!

Sherin

Hi there and thanks for your question. The good news is that most of the time when we see a black wart-like growth it is not anything to worry about.

However, whenever I see a lump that has been present for years suddenly start to change I always want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate. Most dogs tolerate this relatively well.

You may want to ask your vet if they could prescribe a sedative such as acepromazine (atravet) to help Zeus behave better for his visit.

Many black smooth growths on the skin of dogs are benign melanomas. However, again, if one starts to grow then I recommend getting it checked out and possibly removed.

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17046 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (57953 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (9485 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (17515 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8600 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6925 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36219 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (12288 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (18179 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (14323 views)