Large black mole on dog.

Breed: Labrador
Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has had a mole on his belly since he was born, but a few months ago that mole has gotten really big and he is 4 yrs now. The mole that once was really small is now a wart and looks like one of those fat ticks, but obviously is not a tick. I really don’t know much about that stuff and it worries me that it could be cancer; and this dog even thou is Labrador and is suppose to be friendly, he hates everybody except me, so its really hard to take him to the vet, unless is for his yearly visits for the vaccines.

So thank you very much in advance, Zeus and I are really grateful and will be wating for your answer. Have a nice day!

Sherin

Hi there and thanks for your question. The good news is that most of the time when we see a black wart-like growth it is not anything to worry about.

However, whenever I see a lump that has been present for years suddenly start to change I always want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate. Most dogs tolerate this relatively well.

You may want to ask your vet if they could prescribe a sedative such as acepromazine (atravet) to help Zeus behave better for his visit.

Many black smooth growths on the skin of dogs are benign melanomas. However, again, if one starts to grow then I recommend getting it checked out and possibly removed.

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9915 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15236 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (16147 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10768 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (18171 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (67672 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10858 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (40480 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19098 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20520 views)