Diarrhea and lump on face.

Breed: Husky
My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea (completely liquid) with a little bit of bright red blood for about 4 days before seeing the vet. Unknown cause. Fecal culture came back negative for the "big" bacteria (salmonella, etc.), but had some kind of bacteria overload. Vet prescribed Primor 600mg, 1x/day, with Fortiflora. Gave this for 4 days, and diarrhea going away. Stool has no blood, is nearly fully formed with the last little bit still pudding-ish. However, my dog got a lump on her face that she was pawing at. Vet said to discontinue the Primor. Could be an abscess but could be allergic reaction. Vet prescribed Cephalexin 500mg, 2x/day. I gave her one pill over 24 hours from the last Primor dose. Now both sides of her face have lumps and she's pawing at her face. Also seems restless.

Should I discontinue the Cephalexin? Or is the swelling residual from the Primor? I don't want to put her at risk, but I don't want the bacteria to come back with the diarrhea. Suggestions?

I'm sorry to hear that Nikita is having these problems. What you are describing is quite unusual.

Primor (sulfadimethoxine) is generally a safe drug. It is possible for a dog to react to this drug and yes, facial swelling is one of the possible (but rare side effects). It is a little bit unusual though that the swelling started on just one side of her face. Usually an allergic reaction to something ingested would be pretty symmetrical. Also, if the Primor was causing the swelling then it's unlikely that the second lump would come up after you had stopped the medication.

I don't think that the Cephalexin is causing problems.

It's possible that maybe there is something else causing allergic reactions. At this time of year, wasp stings can be common. Is this a possibility?

A swollen lymph node could cause a lump (or lumps) on the face but these are not usually itchy.

Are the lumps just under her eyes? It's possible that she has something called a carnassial tooth abscess. It would be a little bit strange for a second one to develop just after the first though.

I think it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at Nikita again as this is not something that I would consider normal. Also, she seems uncomfortable so if the vet does think that this is an allergic reaction then they may prescribe some antihistamines.

I hope things are better soon!

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14204 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9828 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (20671 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6130 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12221 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6107 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5593 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15694 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11108 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (56101 views)