Diarrhea and lump on face.

Breed: Husky
My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea (completely liquid) with a little bit of bright red blood for about 4 days before seeing the vet. Unknown cause. Fecal culture came back negative for the "big" bacteria (salmonella, etc.), but had some kind of bacteria overload. Vet prescribed Primor 600mg, 1x/day, with Fortiflora. Gave this for 4 days, and diarrhea going away. Stool has no blood, is nearly fully formed with the last little bit still pudding-ish. However, my dog got a lump on her face that she was pawing at. Vet said to discontinue the Primor. Could be an abscess but could be allergic reaction. Vet prescribed Cephalexin 500mg, 2x/day. I gave her one pill over 24 hours from the last Primor dose. Now both sides of her face have lumps and she's pawing at her face. Also seems restless.

Should I discontinue the Cephalexin? Or is the swelling residual from the Primor? I don't want to put her at risk, but I don't want the bacteria to come back with the diarrhea. Suggestions?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm sorry to hear that Nikita is having these problems. What you are describing is quite unusual.

Primor (sulfadimethoxine) is generally a safe drug. It is possible for a dog to react to this drug and yes, facial swelling is one of the possible (but rare side effects). It is a little bit unusual though that the swelling started on just one side of her face. Usually an allergic reaction to something ingested would be pretty symmetrical. Also, if the Primor was causing the swelling then it's unlikely that the second lump would come up after you had stopped the medication.

I don't think that the Cephalexin is causing problems.

It's possible that maybe there is something else causing allergic reactions. At this time of year, wasp stings can be common. Is this a possibility?

A swollen lymph node could cause a lump (or lumps) on the face but these are not usually itchy.

Are the lumps just under her eyes? It's possible that she has something called a carnassial tooth abscess. It would be a little bit strange for a second one to develop just after the first though.

I think it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at Nikita again as this is not something that I would consider normal. Also, she seems uncomfortable so if the vet does think that this is an allergic reaction then they may prescribe some antihistamines.

I hope things are better soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (10891 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (7920 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (5921 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (5141 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (3829 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (5516 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (12142 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (4881 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (6742 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (16941 views)