Diarrhea and lump on face.

Breed: Husky
My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea (completely liquid) with a little bit of bright red blood for about 4 days before seeing the vet. Unknown cause. Fecal culture came back negative for the "big" bacteria (salmonella, etc.), but had some kind of bacteria overload. Vet prescribed Primor 600mg, 1x/day, with Fortiflora. Gave this for 4 days, and diarrhea going away. Stool has no blood, is nearly fully formed with the last little bit still pudding-ish. However, my dog got a lump on her face that she was pawing at. Vet said to discontinue the Primor. Could be an abscess but could be allergic reaction. Vet prescribed Cephalexin 500mg, 2x/day. I gave her one pill over 24 hours from the last Primor dose. Now both sides of her face have lumps and she's pawing at her face. Also seems restless.

Should I discontinue the Cephalexin? Or is the swelling residual from the Primor? I don't want to put her at risk, but I don't want the bacteria to come back with the diarrhea. Suggestions?

I'm sorry to hear that Nikita is having these problems. What you are describing is quite unusual.

Primor (sulfadimethoxine) is generally a safe drug. It is possible for a dog to react to this drug and yes, facial swelling is one of the possible (but rare side effects). It is a little bit unusual though that the swelling started on just one side of her face. Usually an allergic reaction to something ingested would be pretty symmetrical. Also, if the Primor was causing the swelling then it's unlikely that the second lump would come up after you had stopped the medication.

I don't think that the Cephalexin is causing problems.

It's possible that maybe there is something else causing allergic reactions. At this time of year, wasp stings can be common. Is this a possibility?

A swollen lymph node could cause a lump (or lumps) on the face but these are not usually itchy.

Are the lumps just under her eyes? It's possible that she has something called a carnassial tooth abscess. It would be a little bit strange for a second one to develop just after the first though.

I think it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at Nikita again as this is not something that I would consider normal. Also, she seems uncomfortable so if the vet does think that this is an allergic reaction then they may prescribe some antihistamines.

I hope things are better soon!

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (27525 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (8480 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (56709 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (6836 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (34342 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (22727 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (16055 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (11939 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (6464 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (30146 views)