Time for euthanasia?

Breed: shi tzu/yorkie
I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and hasn't been for a couple years now. She is completely blind in one eye, almost blind in another eye, almost completely deaf, nose doesn't work right, I have to wake her up to go outside to go potty, if she does wake up on her own to potty she just goes where ever...doesn't go to the door anymore and she has urinated on herself a couple of times, she eats very little and doesn't play at all. I have been contemplating this for awhile and just want some reassurance that I am doing the right thing by putting her down. It is a very hard decision and I would appreciate your input.
Thank you for your time.

I'm so sorry you are having to make this tough decision.

From what you have described I think the time may be nearing.

Here are the criteria that I usually give my clients when they are trying to decide on euthanasia:

-How is the dog's appetite? If it is decreased this can be a sign of pain and suffering.
-Does the dog seem to be enjoying life?
-Are you enjoying having her?

Answering these questions can help us determine when it is time for euthanasia.

Another thing that can help is to ask your vet's opinion.

I know it is hard, but if Pepper is not enjoying life then the kindest thing may be to let her go.

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7524 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5382 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10192 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12920 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4464 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32482 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23882 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11377 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8560 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18748 views)