Is it time to put her down?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around and navigating stairs without help. She is also getting many sores and bumps on her feet from dragging and hitting. She's had incontinece problems for a few years now but is on medication (ppa). I've noticed that in the last week or so she seems unable to clean herself anymore and I worry about her getting a urinary infection. I don't want to euthanize her prematurely, but also don't want to put her through suffering. She seems happy for the most part but never really wants to go out anymore. Am I being selfish by not putting her down? When do most people put their dog down in a situation like this?

Oh, I am sorry that you are having to make this hard decision.

I have seen a number of dogs with advanced degenerative myelopathy and it is often extremely difficult to know when the time is right for euthanasia because the symptoms get worse so gradually.

Unfortunately you have mentioned a couple of things that have me concerned. If she is starting to get sores on her then this is not a good sign. Even though she is not complaining about these sores, they have to be uncomfortable. Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain.

Also, the fact that she doesn't want to go out is worrisome as well.

Ultimately, you are the only one who can make this decision, but from what you have told me, the time is likely very soon if not now.

I'm very sorry.

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (18307 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13745 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7984 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (220032 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (25304 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (11993 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (34911 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6594 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8985 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (14462 views)