Is it time to put her down?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around and navigating stairs without help. She is also getting many sores and bumps on her feet from dragging and hitting. She's had incontinece problems for a few years now but is on medication (ppa). I've noticed that in the last week or so she seems unable to clean herself anymore and I worry about her getting a urinary infection. I don't want to euthanize her prematurely, but also don't want to put her through suffering. She seems happy for the most part but never really wants to go out anymore. Am I being selfish by not putting her down? When do most people put their dog down in a situation like this?

Oh, I am sorry that you are having to make this hard decision.

I have seen a number of dogs with advanced degenerative myelopathy and it is often extremely difficult to know when the time is right for euthanasia because the symptoms get worse so gradually.

Unfortunately you have mentioned a couple of things that have me concerned. If she is starting to get sores on her then this is not a good sign. Even though she is not complaining about these sores, they have to be uncomfortable. Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain.

Also, the fact that she doesn't want to go out is worrisome as well.

Ultimately, you are the only one who can make this decision, but from what you have told me, the time is likely very soon if not now.

I'm very sorry.

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (12067 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15475 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26725 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (5161 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7522 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7454 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10762 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (9066 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11643 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9180 views)