Is it time to put her down?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around and navigating stairs without help. She is also getting many sores and bumps on her feet from dragging and hitting. She's had incontinece problems for a few years now but is on medication (ppa). I've noticed that in the last week or so she seems unable to clean herself anymore and I worry about her getting a urinary infection. I don't want to euthanize her prematurely, but also don't want to put her through suffering. She seems happy for the most part but never really wants to go out anymore. Am I being selfish by not putting her down? When do most people put their dog down in a situation like this?

Oh, I am sorry that you are having to make this hard decision.

I have seen a number of dogs with advanced degenerative myelopathy and it is often extremely difficult to know when the time is right for euthanasia because the symptoms get worse so gradually.

Unfortunately you have mentioned a couple of things that have me concerned. If she is starting to get sores on her then this is not a good sign. Even though she is not complaining about these sores, they have to be uncomfortable. Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain.

Also, the fact that she doesn't want to go out is worrisome as well.

Ultimately, you are the only one who can make this decision, but from what you have told me, the time is likely very soon if not now.

I'm very sorry.

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7158 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5254 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8203 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (10772 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7990 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4286 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (38875 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9201 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11753 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6373 views)