Is it time to put her down?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around and navigating stairs without help. She is also getting many sores and bumps on her feet from dragging and hitting. She's had incontinece problems for a few years now but is on medication (ppa). I've noticed that in the last week or so she seems unable to clean herself anymore and I worry about her getting a urinary infection. I don't want to euthanize her prematurely, but also don't want to put her through suffering. She seems happy for the most part but never really wants to go out anymore. Am I being selfish by not putting her down? When do most people put their dog down in a situation like this?

Oh, I am sorry that you are having to make this hard decision.

I have seen a number of dogs with advanced degenerative myelopathy and it is often extremely difficult to know when the time is right for euthanasia because the symptoms get worse so gradually.

Unfortunately you have mentioned a couple of things that have me concerned. If she is starting to get sores on her then this is not a good sign. Even though she is not complaining about these sores, they have to be uncomfortable. Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain.

Also, the fact that she doesn't want to go out is worrisome as well.

Ultimately, you are the only one who can make this decision, but from what you have told me, the time is likely very soon if not now.

I'm very sorry.

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11142 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5814 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15121 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (74268 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7764 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12776 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17661 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (14075 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5060 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (28705 views)