Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (52845 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (28356 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18365 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44136 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7962 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (9915 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13030 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12267 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (36196 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (34671 views)