Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6979 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (72164 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (7076 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (86361 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16638 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25705 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (18445 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (17334 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (31969 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8824 views)