Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (8358 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (61332 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (9909 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (4457 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (6737 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (9147 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (12037 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (10108 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (6942 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (7521 views)