Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (23808 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (11808 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (5965 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (12272 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (11152 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (5524 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (13320 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (4852 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (27454 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (9004 views)