Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8358 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9206 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (12431 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (12708 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9573 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (37381 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17537 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10115 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10300 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6544 views)