Skin infection is back.

Breed: Germin Wirehaired po
Hello Doctor,

My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as bumps and then he scratches them and they open then becoming similar to hot spots. Large scabbed lesions. Some may have opened on there own. He was put on cephalexin buy our vet for 2 weeks administered twice a day. It almost cleared it all up but with in a week he has gotten some bumps back on his neck and head and one has opened again (possibly from scratching). I don`t think the antibiotic treatment was done long enough.

We have started using shampoo with teatree oil in it to help keep him clean. He gets a bath once a week right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yuri and Grady

Many skin infections need 4, 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

It sounds like your gut impression is correct and Grady may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe more without seeing Grady.

There really is nothing other than oral antibiotics or an injection called convenia that will help if this is infection. Teatree oil and shampoos may help the itch a little bit but they won't clear up the infection.

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (22296 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (45722 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (30421 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (20980 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (18566 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (12717 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (26345 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (15542 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (12310 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (23330 views)