Bad euthanasia

Breed: Lab Mix
I had to have my dog euthanized.
After she got her first injection to be sedated, she got up, her tongue popped out and she was grasping for air and in big distress. It seemed an eternity until she collapsed. And only then, the vet gave her the main injection. At that point I had the impression that she was already gone. To me it looked as if she had suffocated.
Would you please explain to me how you see this?
Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad experience with euthanasia. I have occasionally had a similar experience.

It is very common for us to give an injection of sedative before giving the final intravenous injection. From past experience of doing it both ways (with sedation and without) I have had much better experiences doing it with sedation. Sometimes with no sedation the dogs can react to the needle going into the vein or can even bite. I found that when I gave sedation I get a much lower chance of a reaction.

With that being said, there is the rare time where an animal will react to sedation.

It's hard to say what happened to Jessy. It may not have even been a reaction. Some sedatives can affect the brain first but the body can still have some function. When this happens, even though it looks bad, the dog is not consciously aware of what is happening.

It is also possible though that Jessy started the process of dying when she received the first injection. This can happen if a dog is very unwell. If this is the case then we don't know whether or not she was consciously in distress.

I have done hundreds if not thousands of euthanasias and despite my experience and my best attempts to make things as smoothly as possible for everyone involved there is still the odd one that does not go well.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5616 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13043 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10148 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7795 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9831 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (20140 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7320 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8610 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18409 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (7874 views)