Bad euthanasia

Breed: Lab Mix
I had to have my dog euthanized.
After she got her first injection to be sedated, she got up, her tongue popped out and she was grasping for air and in big distress. It seemed an eternity until she collapsed. And only then, the vet gave her the main injection. At that point I had the impression that she was already gone. To me it looked as if she had suffocated.
Would you please explain to me how you see this?
Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad experience with euthanasia. I have occasionally had a similar experience.

It is very common for us to give an injection of sedative before giving the final intravenous injection. From past experience of doing it both ways (with sedation and without) I have had much better experiences doing it with sedation. Sometimes with no sedation the dogs can react to the needle going into the vein or can even bite. I found that when I gave sedation I get a much lower chance of a reaction.

With that being said, there is the rare time where an animal will react to sedation.

It's hard to say what happened to Jessy. It may not have even been a reaction. Some sedatives can affect the brain first but the body can still have some function. When this happens, even though it looks bad, the dog is not consciously aware of what is happening.

It is also possible though that Jessy started the process of dying when she received the first injection. This can happen if a dog is very unwell. If this is the case then we don't know whether or not she was consciously in distress.

I have done hundreds if not thousands of euthanasias and despite my experience and my best attempts to make things as smoothly as possible for everyone involved there is still the odd one that does not go well.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8573 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (54011 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12432 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (8465 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (49640 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9283 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (28461 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11462 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5692 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (12528 views)