Bad euthanasia

Breed: Lab Mix
I had to have my dog euthanized.
After she got her first injection to be sedated, she got up, her tongue popped out and she was grasping for air and in big distress. It seemed an eternity until she collapsed. And only then, the vet gave her the main injection. At that point I had the impression that she was already gone. To me it looked as if she had suffocated.
Would you please explain to me how you see this?
Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad experience with euthanasia. I have occasionally had a similar experience.

It is very common for us to give an injection of sedative before giving the final intravenous injection. From past experience of doing it both ways (with sedation and without) I have had much better experiences doing it with sedation. Sometimes with no sedation the dogs can react to the needle going into the vein or can even bite. I found that when I gave sedation I get a much lower chance of a reaction.

With that being said, there is the rare time where an animal will react to sedation.

It's hard to say what happened to Jessy. It may not have even been a reaction. Some sedatives can affect the brain first but the body can still have some function. When this happens, even though it looks bad, the dog is not consciously aware of what is happening.

It is also possible though that Jessy started the process of dying when she received the first injection. This can happen if a dog is very unwell. If this is the case then we don't know whether or not she was consciously in distress.

I have done hundreds if not thousands of euthanasias and despite my experience and my best attempts to make things as smoothly as possible for everyone involved there is still the odd one that does not go well.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11066 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (8478 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7041 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (26383 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (12607 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (12517 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4517 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (18503 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11325 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (9874 views)