Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9463 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (16647 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (20899 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5688 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16893 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20986 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16233 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (13447 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19571 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (54856 views)