Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10270 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14565 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44873 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (27792 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4418 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14363 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18235 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7798 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9922 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5297 views)