Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (19420 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (48998 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (10873 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (73304 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (204110 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (25358 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (11865 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (13403 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (20049 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (12985 views)