Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (7876 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (30651 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (76156 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (23032 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (3452 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (6977 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (9337 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (6401 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (8507 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (9892 views)