Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (9589 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (5971 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (6372 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (6304 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (10541 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (8148 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (6287 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (9894 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (11094 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (15246 views)