Positive leishmaniasis test.

Breed: border collie
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5679 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (11153 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6124 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8410 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45825 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14549 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (15555 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (11495 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (7288 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5829 views)