Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Positive leishmaniasis test.

Species: Dog
Breed: border collie
Age: 5-8 years
my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires another test what does this mean and should I give her any natural treatment




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question.

I had to look up the answer as we do not see Leishmaniasis in my part of the world.

Most likely the test that was done is something called a serology test. What a positive test tells us is that there are antibodies in your dog's blood stream. This means that she has been exposed to leshmaniasis. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that she currently has the disease.

Your vet will likely need to do another type of test in order to confirm whether leishmaniasis is truly affecting her. It is possible they will do a DNA (called a PCR) test or they may repeat the serology test to see if the number is going up which would indicate an active infection as opposed to just being exposed.

Another possible test is to do a fine needle aspirate of lymph nodes or any lesions on her body.

I wouldn't advise going forth with any treatment until your vet determines whether your dog actually has the disease.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (140110 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (20632 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (16118 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (10486 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (18518 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (9593 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (17432 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (8513 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (5842 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (77230 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.