Should I spay my older dog?

Breed: shih tzu
Greetings,
I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and that never had the operation.Should she still get the procedure done at her age,and are the risks of complications high at her age,or she we just let her be?Thanks

She has never had any health problems :)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I would highly recommend having Charlotte spayed. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If she is not spayed she is at risk for getting a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Pyometra requires immediate surgery and is life threatening.

Any dog that is not spayed is also more likely to get certain cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.

The surgery and the anesthetic are very safe. Your vet will likely do some blood tests to make sure that her organs are healthy and if so, I would advise that you go ahead!

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (9576 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (32307 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (264367 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8172 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (53237 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (12308 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (129274 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (58362 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16924 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (18661 views)