Should I spay my older dog?

Breed: shih tzu
Greetings,
I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and that never had the operation.Should she still get the procedure done at her age,and are the risks of complications high at her age,or she we just let her be?Thanks

She has never had any health problems :)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I would highly recommend having Charlotte spayed. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If she is not spayed she is at risk for getting a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Pyometra requires immediate surgery and is life threatening.

Any dog that is not spayed is also more likely to get certain cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.

The surgery and the anesthetic are very safe. Your vet will likely do some blood tests to make sure that her organs are healthy and if so, I would advise that you go ahead!

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7697 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19933 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5449 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9824 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (40523 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (136639 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (32314 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16870 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (10444 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4475 views)