Should I spay my older dog?

Breed: shih tzu
Greetings,
I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and that never had the operation.Should she still get the procedure done at her age,and are the risks of complications high at her age,or she we just let her be?Thanks

She has never had any health problems :)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I would highly recommend having Charlotte spayed. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If she is not spayed she is at risk for getting a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Pyometra requires immediate surgery and is life threatening.

Any dog that is not spayed is also more likely to get certain cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.

The surgery and the anesthetic are very safe. Your vet will likely do some blood tests to make sure that her organs are healthy and if so, I would advise that you go ahead!

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19047 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (24585 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (8056 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7910 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29104 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11219 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8383 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15752 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (17793 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (14037 views)