Should I spay my older dog?

Breed: shih tzu
Greetings,
I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and that never had the operation.Should she still get the procedure done at her age,and are the risks of complications high at her age,or she we just let her be?Thanks

She has never had any health problems :)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I would highly recommend having Charlotte spayed. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If she is not spayed she is at risk for getting a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Pyometra requires immediate surgery and is life threatening.

Any dog that is not spayed is also more likely to get certain cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.

The surgery and the anesthetic are very safe. Your vet will likely do some blood tests to make sure that her organs are healthy and if so, I would advise that you go ahead!

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (20171 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (11470 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8004 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (6160 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (4408 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (83159 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (24798 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (9513 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (13739 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (7343 views)