Should I spay my older dog?

Breed: shih tzu
Greetings,
I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and that never had the operation.Should she still get the procedure done at her age,and are the risks of complications high at her age,or she we just let her be?Thanks

She has never had any health problems :)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I would highly recommend having Charlotte spayed. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If she is not spayed she is at risk for getting a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Pyometra requires immediate surgery and is life threatening.

Any dog that is not spayed is also more likely to get certain cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.

The surgery and the anesthetic are very safe. Your vet will likely do some blood tests to make sure that her organs are healthy and if so, I would advise that you go ahead!

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6492 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4947 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32539 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10387 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (11168 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13775 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (36349 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9851 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11151 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7680 views)