Golden Retriever Losing Weight.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has lost an incredible amount of weight in the last couple of months and while he eats very healthy ,the food doesn`t seem to make any difference,his coat is very patchy too and sheds alot.
He shares his space with a 4yr old border collie,who I think he tries to emulate actively.
I`ve found him at times eating feces.
Tough he acts like a younger dog his look and weight is perticularly bad,he was lame for a while about 3 or 4 years ago but recovered fully with the help of joint care supplements and injections he recieved from a vet over a 6 week period,would his history of these injections have any connection to his present state,and what should I do,
with thanks,Joe.

Hi Joe and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Patton is doing well. A significant amount of weight loss in an older dog can often be a sign of something serious.

Have you noticed if your dog is drinking more than usual? Dogs with diabetes can have significant weight loss.

Similarly, if your dog does tend to drink a lot another possibility is a condition called Cushing's disease. This can cause changes in the hair coat and a decrease in muscle mass. Cushing's is treatable but can be expensive and difficult to treat.

Unfortunately another possible reason for weight loss in an older dog is cancer. There are a number of types of cancers that are possible. In a Golden, Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) is common. There are good chemotherapy protocols for lymphoma and most dogs tolerate them well.

Another possibility is some type of kidney or liver disease...possibly due to aging changes.

It is unlikely that these symptoms are related to the injections or treatments that Patton received previously.

I wish I could give you some advice for things you could do at home but it really does sound like a vet visit would be the best thing for him. If I were seeing Patton I would be running a blood profile to look for the things mentioned above as well as a good physical exam.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you may be able to help him maintain his weight by feeding him a puppy food as these are higher in fat and protein. However, it really is best to have some tests done first because if he has kidney disease the increase in protein could make things worse.

I really hope he is ok!

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (12816 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (9942 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (108526 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (5651 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (37384 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7909 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (50538 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (56083 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4667 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8591 views)