Golden Retriever Losing Weight.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has lost an incredible amount of weight in the last couple of months and while he eats very healthy ,the food doesn`t seem to make any difference,his coat is very patchy too and sheds alot.
He shares his space with a 4yr old border collie,who I think he tries to emulate actively.
I`ve found him at times eating feces.
Tough he acts like a younger dog his look and weight is perticularly bad,he was lame for a while about 3 or 4 years ago but recovered fully with the help of joint care supplements and injections he recieved from a vet over a 6 week period,would his history of these injections have any connection to his present state,and what should I do,
with thanks,Joe.

Hi Joe and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Patton is doing well. A significant amount of weight loss in an older dog can often be a sign of something serious.

Have you noticed if your dog is drinking more than usual? Dogs with diabetes can have significant weight loss.

Similarly, if your dog does tend to drink a lot another possibility is a condition called Cushing's disease. This can cause changes in the hair coat and a decrease in muscle mass. Cushing's is treatable but can be expensive and difficult to treat.

Unfortunately another possible reason for weight loss in an older dog is cancer. There are a number of types of cancers that are possible. In a Golden, Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) is common. There are good chemotherapy protocols for lymphoma and most dogs tolerate them well.

Another possibility is some type of kidney or liver disease...possibly due to aging changes.

It is unlikely that these symptoms are related to the injections or treatments that Patton received previously.

I wish I could give you some advice for things you could do at home but it really does sound like a vet visit would be the best thing for him. If I were seeing Patton I would be running a blood profile to look for the things mentioned above as well as a good physical exam.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you may be able to help him maintain his weight by feeding him a puppy food as these are higher in fat and protein. However, it really is best to have some tests done first because if he has kidney disease the increase in protein could make things worse.

I really hope he is ok!

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6828 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7334 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11233 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (10175 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38498 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15285 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (10869 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7780 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13022 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (19782 views)