Golden Retriever Losing Weight.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has lost an incredible amount of weight in the last couple of months and while he eats very healthy ,the food doesn`t seem to make any difference,his coat is very patchy too and sheds alot.
He shares his space with a 4yr old border collie,who I think he tries to emulate actively.
I`ve found him at times eating feces.
Tough he acts like a younger dog his look and weight is perticularly bad,he was lame for a while about 3 or 4 years ago but recovered fully with the help of joint care supplements and injections he recieved from a vet over a 6 week period,would his history of these injections have any connection to his present state,and what should I do,
with thanks,Joe.

Hi Joe and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Patton is doing well. A significant amount of weight loss in an older dog can often be a sign of something serious.

Have you noticed if your dog is drinking more than usual? Dogs with diabetes can have significant weight loss.

Similarly, if your dog does tend to drink a lot another possibility is a condition called Cushing's disease. This can cause changes in the hair coat and a decrease in muscle mass. Cushing's is treatable but can be expensive and difficult to treat.

Unfortunately another possible reason for weight loss in an older dog is cancer. There are a number of types of cancers that are possible. In a Golden, Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) is common. There are good chemotherapy protocols for lymphoma and most dogs tolerate them well.

Another possibility is some type of kidney or liver disease...possibly due to aging changes.

It is unlikely that these symptoms are related to the injections or treatments that Patton received previously.

I wish I could give you some advice for things you could do at home but it really does sound like a vet visit would be the best thing for him. If I were seeing Patton I would be running a blood profile to look for the things mentioned above as well as a good physical exam.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you may be able to help him maintain his weight by feeding him a puppy food as these are higher in fat and protein. However, it really is best to have some tests done first because if he has kidney disease the increase in protein could make things worse.

I really hope he is ok!

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (42804 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (14618 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9998 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11024 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (23996 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7110 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9433 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (233080 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (10523 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11385 views)