Golden Retriever Losing Weight.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has lost an incredible amount of weight in the last couple of months and while he eats very healthy ,the food doesn`t seem to make any difference,his coat is very patchy too and sheds alot.
He shares his space with a 4yr old border collie,who I think he tries to emulate actively.
I`ve found him at times eating feces.
Tough he acts like a younger dog his look and weight is perticularly bad,he was lame for a while about 3 or 4 years ago but recovered fully with the help of joint care supplements and injections he recieved from a vet over a 6 week period,would his history of these injections have any connection to his present state,and what should I do,
with thanks,Joe.

Hi Joe and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Patton is doing well. A significant amount of weight loss in an older dog can often be a sign of something serious.

Have you noticed if your dog is drinking more than usual? Dogs with diabetes can have significant weight loss.

Similarly, if your dog does tend to drink a lot another possibility is a condition called Cushing's disease. This can cause changes in the hair coat and a decrease in muscle mass. Cushing's is treatable but can be expensive and difficult to treat.

Unfortunately another possible reason for weight loss in an older dog is cancer. There are a number of types of cancers that are possible. In a Golden, Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) is common. There are good chemotherapy protocols for lymphoma and most dogs tolerate them well.

Another possibility is some type of kidney or liver disease...possibly due to aging changes.

It is unlikely that these symptoms are related to the injections or treatments that Patton received previously.

I wish I could give you some advice for things you could do at home but it really does sound like a vet visit would be the best thing for him. If I were seeing Patton I would be running a blood profile to look for the things mentioned above as well as a good physical exam.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you may be able to help him maintain his weight by feeding him a puppy food as these are higher in fat and protein. However, it really is best to have some tests done first because if he has kidney disease the increase in protein could make things worse.

I really hope he is ok!

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12103 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12421 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (28408 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (21304 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6709 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (41328 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (7170 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8748 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (12196 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (17257 views)